5430 SPORTS
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 26m 26s
Overall Rank = 89/378
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 11/30
Pre-race routine:

OK sleep, oatmeal and coffee for breakfast. We arrived at the race just a little later than we had hoped, but got a good parking spot and made it to transition area in fine shape. Set up, and got the wet suit on, then off to get in the water. I should note the weather was pretty marginal. A cold front had pushed through and it was overcast, windy and chilly. It looked as if it would begin raining any minute and I fully expected to get wet before the race was over (and I don't mean in the lake).
Event warmup:

Probably swam about 200-250m getting used to the water and the wind chop. It was not quite at the whitecap point, but 1-1.5 ft waves, which was going to make sighting and breathing a little interesting.I think I was in the 4th wave, so watched the first racers go and waited for my turn.
Swim
  • 32m 37s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not a good swim. This is beginning to sound like a broken record. Had a difficult time with the wind chop and my navigation was really bad from the start to the first buoy...maybe 400m. I did get into a bit of a groove from the first to the second buoy, but lost my mojo as I rounded number two and headed for the exit. right into the wind and I seemed to just not have any momentum...felt it took forever. Exited and was just pretty glad to have that over with.
What would you do differently?:

I wish I knew
Transition 1
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

Felt OK. Nothing great, average.
Bike
  • 1h 05m 38s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.72 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt like the effort and pace were good, but just didn't feel like I ever got into a real groove. The wind was somewhat gusty, it was cool and there was a very light mist... enough to make for a very cool (as in chilly) bike. The road was generally dry, but ther were a few corners that were a bit slippery, and one 1/4 mile section of gravel... love road construction. It was a solid bike, but not a great bike. Maybe a 7 on a 10 scale.

Given the limited bike training in the 8-weeks prior to the 8/30 race date, I think this result was as good as I could have hoped for. The focus since mid-July was really running and while my run was pretty good for me, my bike was average. So it is. There are other things in life besides training 12-15 hours a week.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

This transition was a bit better than T1 7th fastest in age group.

nothing
Run
  • 47m 36s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a real good run for me. I found a good pace about 1/2 mile into the run, and was able to maintain a 7:30-7:40 pace for the entire race. I felt my pacing was just about optimal for my level of conditioning. I could not have pushed any harder and I had absolutely nothing left in the tank at the finish.

Nothing. The run focus beginning mid-July paid dividends at this race, and this was easily my best run of the season.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a bottle of water and ate a gel right away. Then waited at the finish area for Meredith and others to finish. It was kinda cool and was anxious to get packed up and get into a hot shower as son as possible.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It was the end of a long season and my training for swim and bike suffered over the six weeks leading up to this race. I really did not put in the volume or the right type of training to have an better result than I got. That said, I am pleased with my performance and was glad to end the season with a good run after the bike and decent overall result.

Event comments:

Below average race, with marginal post race food... one (yes only one per racer) piece of cold Domino's pizza. Really guys... could you not do a little better than that? The bike course had a 1/4 mile section of gravel/road under construction which was not well marked. The run course was poorly marked and a number of runners missed the detour through the neighborhood on the second lap..resulting in their times being faster by 5 -7 minutes than they should have been. Too bad, this really could have been a kick-ass race and venue. Smallish, but fast, field with a couple Pros and elite age groupers, pretty typical for Colorado though.

Last updated: 2009-04-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:37 | 1640 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 23/30
Overall: 213/378
Performance: Below average
Suit: DeSoto T1
Course: Rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:38
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:05:38 | 24.85 miles | 22.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/30
Overall: 30/378
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: rectangular loop, mostly flat with decent roads except for one section of gravel due to construction.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:47:36 | 06.21 miles | 07m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/30
Overall: 119/378
Performance: Good
Course: two loops around the lake, with a jaunt into an adjoining neighborhood. This was a f'd up run course...the worst I believe I have raced.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2015-02-17 3:52 PM

Timnath Colorado,
Subject: WILD ON WINDSOR
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » WILD ON WINDSOR Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

WILD ON WINDSOR

Started by rericson
Views: 757 Posts: 1

2009-09-17 5:06 PM rericson

WILD ON WINDSOR

Started by jtriathlete
Views: 1399 Posts: 1

2009-09-11 12:31 AM jtriathlete

Windsor

Started by Jane
Views: 1057 Posts: 4

2005-06-20 2:43 PM Jane

Windsor Tri

Started by Novo
Views: 862 Posts: 7

2004-09-09 10:20 AM darylljsmith

Windsor Tri

Started by kimj81
Views: 966 Posts: 18

2004-09-08 6:01 PM Whizzer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
comments : 0
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.