General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman in 5 months Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-02-20 4:39 PM

nashville, Tennessee
Subject: Ironman in 5 months
Friend of mine signed up for an ironman with about 5 months to train. He hasn't started training. Hasn't swam at all. Hasn't biked at all but has run a few times. But I will say he seems to be a naturally good athlete and ran a half marathon in January at a 9:50 pace with very little training. So he's in decent shape. But I think he's in over his head. What do you think? I trained for a good nine months and did a 70.3 before. He has only done sprints. I guess he could finish the race but it won't be fun.

2015-02-20 4:50 PM
in reply to: mchadcota2

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Ironman in 5 months

Originally posted by mchadcota2 Friend of mine signed up for an ironman with about 5 months to train. He hasn't started training. Hasn't swam at all. Hasn't biked at all but has run a few times. But I will say he seems to be a naturally good athlete and ran a half marathon in January at a 9:50 pace with very little training. So he's in decent shape. But I think he's in over his head. What do you think? I trained for a good nine months and did a 70.3 before. He has only done sprints. I guess he could finish the race but it won't be fun.

How old is he?  Any man under the age of 40 that is in reasonable shape and knows how to swim can probably finish an IM.  The training will help make it less of a religious experience.

2015-02-20 5:21 PM
in reply to: #5094909

nashville, Tennessee
That's kinda how I feel too. He's mid 30's so I think he'll finish. I just don't understand that mindset. That will be a long miserable day.
2015-02-20 5:23 PM

Originally posted by mchadcota2

Friend of mine signed up for an ironman with about 5 months to train.
Probably a bad idea. Technically he probably has less than 3 months to train as he'll need to spend at least a month working up his mileage and then a month to taper. The only thing he has going for him is possible leftover fitness from the half marathon.
He hasn't started training. Hasn't swam at all. Hasn't biked at all but has run a few times.
Is he allergic to training?! Perhaps an IM is not a good idea for him.
But I will say he seems to be a naturally good athlete and ran a half marathon in January at a 9:50 pace with very little training.
Not to flame, but that performance isn't very impressive and doesn't guarantee much for an IM.
So he's in decent shape.
Again, not to insult, but run fitness doesn't really translate to cycling or swimming.
But I think he's in over his head. What do you think?
Wouldn't exactly say 'in over his head' but not a very intelligent decision on his part. Please tell me he can swim a mile with relative ease right now...
I trained for a good nine months and did a 70.3 before.
You, on the other hand sound like you know what you're doing!
He has only done sprints.
that will help for speed, but he's in for a rude awakening when he does an 80+ mile training ride.
I guess he could finish the race but it won't be fun.
Yes, he can probably finish but 15-17 hours of racing sounds absolutely miserable to me. He should just bag any speed or tempo work and just increase his volume slowly and hope that he doesn't injure himself in the process.
2015-02-20 5:46 PM

User image

I dunno...people do things for different reasons.  Some may find a lot of joy and sense of accomplishment for completing a 16 hour IM on minimal training.  If that makes it worthwhile for them...so be it.  

2015-02-20 5:54 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Jason N

I dunno...people do things for different reasons.  Some may find a lot of joy and sense of accomplishment for completing a 16 hour IM on minimal training.  If that makes it worthwhile for them...so be it.  

n

Truth ^

The fact is, there are people among us who have been athletes in one way or another for a long time.  Some of them have a very high threshold for pain/suffering.  They can do an IM on very little training compared to the rest of us. 

A few years ago I met a "kid" who was 28 years old......had been in Iraq and was a member of a Special Forces group.  He had a big swim background from when he was growing up.  He kept himself in decent shape overseas but that's about the size of it.  He did IMAZ a few months after he rotated back because he wanted to.  He did no training the way we think of it....finished in 14.5 hours.  His quote to me was, "it hurt bad.  I couldn't walk right for 6 weeks".  Still.......he was happy to have done it.  He didn't consider himself a "triathlete".....just a guy who finished an IM.

2015-02-20 6:24 PM
in reply to: #5094915

nashville, Tennessee
mcstrangelove, I think you're right on. But as far as the half marathon time, I don't consider that an impressive time by any means but it seems like a lot of people I know that do half marathons, even with proper training, do 10-11 min/ mile paces. The fact that he can do 9:50 pace for 13 without training seems pretty good. It will be interesting to see how he does.
2015-02-21 3:53 AM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
I think it will be a very long day for him, although whether he finishes in 10 or 16 hours, he will still be an Ironman. I would question why in the past he has done very little training. Does he not enjoy it or given the distances he has raced does he think he can get away without doing much? Neither of these mindsets are conducive to completing an Ironman. I wish him the best of luck though and hope he is successful.
2015-02-21 10:24 AM
in reply to: #5094927

User image

Franklin, TN
Frankly, I don't think he'll finish unless: he's got a swimming background or it's a wetsuit swim. Even if he makes the swim cutoff, he'll be exhausted from the effort since he didn't train properly. Oh and there's that little bike ride to take care of before you get to the marathon. If you had told us his HM pace was 7:50 instead of 9:50, I would have more confidence that he could finish...he'd still walk most of the marathon but a 7:50 pace in a HM indicates some level of fitness for a 30ish year old male.
2015-02-21 10:58 AM

Friend of mine signed up for an ironman with about 5 months to train. He hasn't started training. Hasn't swam at all. Hasn't biked at all but has run a few times. But I will say he seems to be a naturally good athlete and ran a half marathon in January at a 9:50 pace with very little training. So he's in decent shape. But I think he's in over his head. What do you think? I trained for a good nine months and did a 70.3 before. He has only done sprints. I guess he could finish the race but it won't be fun.

50/50 whether he finishes. If no issues with nutrition, mechanicals on bike, pulled muscles, etc. seems possible to finish in 16 hrs. One of the advantages of training is having a time buffer. I trained for IMFL 2013 and thought I could finish in 12:45. Tweaked my ankle running to T1, and ended up limping about half the run, finished in 13:45. With the HM time you describe, doesn't sound like much of a buffer.

Of course, the swim is also an issue. Unless you're a gifted/practiced swimmer or swimming downriver, making the cutoff seems difficult. Will be interesting to see, which IM is it?

2015-02-21 1:43 PM

nashville, Tennessee
He's doing Boulder first of August. His swim will be ok. He is somehow naturally a decent swimmer. His swim times in sprints are always respectable and he swims 5-6 times before the race. The Boulder swim should be wetsuit legal. I did IM texas with a wetsuit and I am a terrible swimmer. Finished in 1:25. I feel like anybody with a wetsuit should be able to finish the swim. My friend did IM texas with me and finished in 14:30. He walked the last half of the marathon and biked 16 mph. So finishing in 17 hrs should be very doable barring any injuries.

2015-02-21 2:23 PM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

So finishing in 17 hrs should be very doable barring any injuries.

This is perhaps likely to be one of the biggest obstacles given the limited time to be able to build training volume gradually. I think it would be wise to pay that bit more attention to stretching, massages etc. than normal.
2015-02-22 6:58 PM

If he plans and sticks to it, he can build a decent base in 5 months. But I'm guessing that if he waited till 5 months out, he probably isn't going to focus enough to make a difference. It'll be a matter of how much he's willing to suffer and he'll probably need a fair amount of luck. There's lots of people who train seriously for these races and don't finish them.

2015-02-23 2:14 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I'd say he's asking for trouble. I assume he's from your area...Boulder will be a challenge due to hills, and altitude.

If he's not done a long distance tri before, he's in for some big challenges. I'd say he will be struggling no matter what he does from here on out.
2015-02-23 6:55 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

That's kinda how I feel too. He's mid 30's so I think he'll finish. I just don't understand that mindset. That will be a long miserable day.

I would think the following two week after is going to be painful as well. Provided he finishes.

My frist IM in the mid 80's I didn't train anywhere what I do now. That was painful and I was in great shape. The thing about IM training is we tend to also test our nutrition, gear and of course pacing and fitness. Good luck to him.
2015-02-24 12:10 AM

User image

Sounds like he just want to tick off IM from his to do list. Not really interested in triathlon for any other reason.
Nothing wrong with that of course. We all have different ambitions.
Good luck to him and hopefully he remembers to "embrace the suck"

2015-02-24 7:10 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by mchadcota2 Friend of mine signed up for an ironman with about 5 months to train. He hasn't started training. Hasn't swam at all. Hasn't biked at all but has run a few times. But I will say he seems to be a naturally good athlete and ran a half marathon in January at a 9:50 pace with very little training. So he's in decent shape. But I think he's in over his head. What do you think? I trained for a good nine months and did a 70.3 before. He has only done sprints. I guess he could finish the race but it won't be fun.

And?  

What I read from this post is:

My friend signed up to do an Ironman but

Doesn't train (like us)
Didn't pay his dues (like us)
Yada, yada, yada...

You can encourage and support his effort even if he isn't "like us."  You can disparage his efforts and actively undermine his confidence.  You can step back and silently watch.  

Maybe he can have fun doing the race on 5 months training.  He isn't dedicating a year of his life to this one event and may choose to "race" lightheartedly, stopping for pictures on the bike, whooping it up on the run, and really taking in the day instead of trying to hit an elusive 1X:59:59 goal that many of us want.  

If he were my friend, I'd be cheering him on and buying him a beer when he finishes.  

What he does doesn't take away from what I've done and vice versa.  

2015-02-24 11:04 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

nashville, Tennessee
Originally posted by McFuzz

And?  

What I read from this post is:

My friend signed up to do an Ironman but

Doesn't train (like us)
Didn't pay his dues (like us)
Yada, yada, yada...

You can encourage and support his effort even if he isn't "like us."  You can disparage his efforts and actively undermine his confidence.  You can step back and silently watch.  

Maybe he can have fun doing the race on 5 months training.  He isn't dedicating a year of his life to this one event and may choose to "race" lightheartedly, stopping for pictures on the bike, whooping it up on the run, and really taking in the day instead of trying to hit an elusive 1X:59:59 goal that many of us want.  

If he were my friend, I'd be cheering him on and buying him a beer when he finishes.  

What he does doesn't take away from what I've done and vice versa.  

Absolutely. He will hear nothing but encouragement from me. When he told me he signed up, I said "Awesome. Its gonna be fun!" But I was thinking, "I'm afraid he doesn't know what he's getting into." The point of the post was to get opinions on the situation.
2015-02-24 12:04 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

I'm confused (insert joke here). 

In your first post it sounded to me that your friend had never done an IM.  Then you said this..."My friend did IM texas with me and finished in 14:30" which made me think he had done one but wasn't really putting in the effort for this year's race.  Then you posted this...But I was thinking, "I'm afraid he doesn't know what he's getting into."  

So, has he or hasn't he done an IM before?  If he's done one before, he knows what he's getting into.

2015-02-24 12:42 PM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

I think the OP has more than one friend.  

2015-02-24 12:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Jason N

I think the OP has more than one friend.  

Well, I bet at least one of his friends can't do it. 

Edited by Left Brain 2015-02-24 12:45 PM

2015-02-24 9:09 PM
in reply to: #5094909

User image

Expert
My first Tri season I was in my mid 30s, had not done much if any exercise post University, did IMC when it was in Penticton on 7 months training. Mile 4 on the run was spent in a porta potty for quite a while and not an experience I'd ever care to repeat.

Did IMC the following year and and had a much better experience and a lot less time on course. I'm 6:50 pace for stand alone 13.1
2015-02-25 12:14 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

I don't understand why 5 months isn't enough training time?
I'm a fairly new triathlete, will NEVER be super fast. I basically started cycling last middle May and had 4 months to train for my Half ironman beginning of Sept. I was pretty much ready to do it about a month prior (peaking too soon?) I thought i would finish in 7 hours and was just hoping to finish under the 8 hour cut off and finished in 6.5 which was really great for me. Felt great the whole time, actually felt too good and wasn't too sore afterwards.
I have 4 days off/week to train and ave about 150 miles week cycling and was training concurrently for Berlin Marathon, and swam 2-3 days week. Did 2x100 mile rides before the race and did the bike course i 4-5 times before the race.
I felt like 4 months was almost too long of training period.. (that being said i run year round 5-6 days/week and run multiple half and full marathons/year albeit slow.)
What you guys are saying is making me nervous about training.. i have basically 5 months (also doing Boulder) which is my first IM. I've been running plenty but the weather has been bad so have only cycled outdoors twice in the past few weeks, and haven't swam since my half ironman in sept. (used to be a swimmer)

And does the wetsuit REALLY help your speed? I have one but feel like i'm going to die because it chokes my neck, so did all my tri's last summer even at low 60s temps without one.. although i did feel like everybody passed me.

When i did my trial with the wetsuit, and only time i wore it, i wasn't any faster then without it.. but probably because i was pulling on the neck trying not to drown with it on.

Some people will never be super fast, but doesn't mean they didn't train as much as other people if not more! I have another friend who barely trained and finished the same HIM in 6 hrs, she rode a mountain bike once for 30 miles before the race and is still faster then me with all the training i did. She didn't do much swim training either.

It may take me 16 hours to finish and yeah i'd love to finish in 12 hours.. but that's probably never going to happen, no matter how much training i do.

Edited by marathongirl21 2015-02-25 12:15 AM
2015-02-25 2:08 AM
in reply to: marathongirl21

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

marathongirl21, I am sure you will be absolutly fine for your IM.  You have a really good base from which to build on with your running and the HIM you have done.  5 months will be plenty of time to prepare yourself for an IM, especially as you have already done a couple of 100 mile rides and marathons.  Don't be put off by the posts in this thread - they are aimed at someone who has only 5 months to train for an IM and esentially has no experiance of consistant training (you do) and little experiance of competing in endurance races (again, you do).  This person may well finish and nobody is saying that there is anything wrong with a 16 hour time, but with the solid training you are doing I suspect you may well enjoy the day more, have a higher chance of finishing, less likely to get injured and possibly have time to spare if things go a little wrong on the day (minor injury, flats etc.).

I hate wetsuits too - maybe others have some advise in that area.  Best of luck with your IM

2015-02-25 7:37 AM
in reply to: tridantri

User image

Extreme Veteran
5 months of training if just fine if your goal is to finish an IM.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman in 5 months Rss Feed  

of 2