General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good Bike Shop in Chicago Area for Tri Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-23 3:56 PM

Subject: Good Bike Shop in Chicago Area for Tri Bike
Hi there,

I am looking to buy a tri bike. I have a couple of bikes in mind:

Fuji Norcom Straight 1.3
Giant Envie Advanced Tri (Liv)

Obviously, this bike is an investment and I want to be able to go to a store and be fitted. I've phoned a few stores in the city and have had no luck with finding a store that either has these in stock or would be prepared to order it in. Can anyone recommend a good bike store in Chicago or the Chicago suburbs that might either have these bikes in or be prepared to get them in?

Thanks for the help.

2015-02-24 6:28 PM
in reply to: runningfi

User image

, Illinois
Subject: RE: Good Bike Shop in Chicago Area for Tri Bike

http://www.slowtwitch.com/retailers/statelist.php?state=illinois&PHPSESSID=327u7i0ms6o99bgj5ro19ckuv4

I don't have any details or experience with any of them, but this should at least narrow down your search.

2015-02-24 6:48 PM

User image

New user

When I was looking for a roadbike I had a few picked out too but found it very difficult to find the brand and size anywhere. I ended up getting a great Cannondale that was not on my original list at Wheel Werks in Crystal Lake. Highly recommend you check them out. I also liked Amphibian Multisport in Libertyville.

I think Spokes carries Giant, they have a few locations, best to call before.
2015-02-24 8:39 PM
in reply to: sdienhart

User image

, Illinois

Do they do a formal fitting at Amphibian?  I know that Wheel Works in Crystal and http://olsensignaturefit.com/ has a very good reputation.  I think you have the right idea getting fit first.  I've heard Bob Olsen is pretty honest, he will tell you what fits even if he doesn't have it.  I would guess there are some good shops in the North Shore area or downtown.  I would maybe start your search using fitters and the criteria rather than brand retailers.

2015-02-25 9:50 AM
in reply to: ec1974

User image

Chicago, IL

Element Multisport, at Clybourn & Diversey might be able to accomodate.
I know they fit, but not sure about the models they sell.

Plus, it's next to Costco, in case you need to buy 300 rolls of TP.

2015-02-25 2:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
I know Deerfield Cyclery is a Giant Dealer, and Greg Balmes (the owner) is a great guy. (Disclosure: I am a member of Colavita Chicagoland, which is sponsored by Deerfield Cyclery and of which Greg is also an owner). It looks like Performance Bike and Kozy's are both Fuji dealers, but I would start with Kozy's first.

Another plug: my friend Jason is getting started with a bike fitting business out of Buffalo Grove. He's a multi-time Iron-distance triathlete and also rides with Colavita - he knows bikes. His website is http://perfectfitbike.com/. He builds bikes also, so you might find a good deal with him, or separate out fit and purchase.

I hope I'm not coming across as a shill. I ride with these guys and trust them.

Amphibian is a really nice shop and they know their stuff. They also have some runs and rides set up by that are free, and they help out Team RWB (another thing I'm a member of . . . does the shilling never stop?)

Running Away Multisport is another great shop, in Chicago and Deerfield. Brian there is a cool guy, and I bought my Felt B2 from him. Money talks, and ith what I've spent there, I'm surprised I'm not on the shop's Christmas list.

Village Cyclesport is a nice place, but mostly for road cyclists and especially for mountain bikes - they do stock some triathlon stuff (Trek and Specialized), but they are not my first choice for triathlon-fitting.

2015-02-25 6:21 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

Thanks very much for the advice. It looks like I have a few calls to make. I actually went into one of the Chicago Kozy's last weekend and the guy said he'd be reluctant to order in any tri bikes (they had none on the floor) because "you have to pay someone to buy them" . He also kept trying to sell me a road bike instead because he rides really fast on his road bike. Perhaps I got unlucky with the wrong sales person but it was really frustrating. I will look into some of these other options and report back if I have a good experience. Thanks again.
2015-02-26 5:17 PM

Urban tri in Westmont is awesome. Great customer service and really helpful guys. They have always taken great care of me and my quitana roo cdo1. Also Bernie Conway in the southwest burbs has a company called 140.6 sports. I believe he will fit you and give you recommendations regarding the best bike for you. The plus is that it is free, I think, and he gets paid from the bike companies. I'm not sure how all that works but I have heard nothing but good things about his bike fit.
2015-02-27 8:15 AM

Urban tri in Westmont is awesome. Great customer service and really helpful guys. They have always taken great care of me and my quitana roo cdo1. Also Bernie Conway in the southwest burbs has a company called 140.6 sports. I believe he will fit you and give you recommendations regarding the best bike for you. The plus is that it is free, I think, and he gets paid from the bike companies. I'm not sure how all that works but I have heard nothing but good things about his bike fit.
2015-03-05 1:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)
Mox Multisport on Randolph, just a tiny bit east of the Expressway!!! The owner, Paul, really cares about his shop, customers, and employees.

I suggest swinging by. I bought my last bike there and the service was top-notch. I also use them for any service and buy just about anything I need to support their business. I highly suggest giving it a shot if you're near The Loop...
2015-03-08 2:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Chicago, Colorado
I second Mox. I purchased my wetsuit from there and they told me if I had any problems, bring it back and they'd help me out. Luckily, I haven't had to do it so I can't say for sure if they'd stand by their word, but I feel like they would.

I'd also like to recommend Live Grit on Monroe, just west of the Loop. Just opened last summer, super great group there. I know they sell Scott and Orbea tri bikes. They have a Retul fit service.

Best of luck!

Edited by cjohns716 2015-03-08 2:25 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good Bike Shop in Chicago Area for Tri Bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Chicago Bike Shop

Started by cjohns716
Views: 1316 Posts: 6

2013-08-03 3:38 PM Chicagobrah

Bike shops near Chicago/ Western Suburbs Pages: 1 2

Started by nmladic
Views: 4919 Posts: 33

2013-03-20 3:55 PM wrkinprogress

Good Chicago area Bike store for Tri Pages: 1 2

Started by randomguymike
Views: 5148 Posts: 28

2010-03-01 10:39 AM lazytriathlete

Chicago Area Bike Fit

Started by CKinsey
Views: 1482 Posts: 10

2008-05-01 4:25 PM IdealMuse

Chicago/Burbs bike shops

Started by PastaGrrrl
Views: 1245 Posts: 5

2006-02-10 4:14 PM mmckinley
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : December 15, 2008
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.
date : January 29, 2007
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
When first going aero, your shop should begin by putting you in the least aggressive position. This means the aerobar pads will be almost level or just below the saddle.

date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.