General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Staying Motivated Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-10 11:23 AM

Subject: Staying Motivated
I started training for my first Half Ironman, my first triathlon actually, in January. Prior to this, I'd been just running (marathon/distance) and swimming (1-3 miles/day) as routine exercise, in addition to a heavy weight routine. Here's the thing: none of that stuff really burned me out. Now that I'm really in the meat of my HIM training plan, I've suddenly hit a spot where I just don't have the drive and motivation anymore. Taking a few days off for now, then getting back to it for sure. However, I'm wondering what everyone else does when / if they hit this kind of slump to get back into a full-out training mindset? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2015-03-10 12:46 PM
in reply to: #5099470

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Staying Motivated
I don't have an answer for you, but would love to hear what others do! With all the snow we got in MA last month my training plan totally fell apart, and even though spring is now on it's way, I just can't get back into it.
2015-03-10 12:58 PM
in reply to: richmcbride13

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
For me I take a couple days off doing other stuff like hiking, bowling, or ping pong. Or take up a new big project around the house.
2015-03-10 2:22 PM

User image

This happens to me, and I think it is quite normal. Watching races, like Kona or ITU racing online gets me fired up, as does a video I have from USAT Nationals bike course. Or just going and running a race helps get the juices flowing again too.

I hear you though on the lack of motivation. I start training for my first HIM in April and now after having lost about a month of really consistent training due to a big renovation/move I find myself struggling just to get into a routine and or to generally give a $hit about getting up early and training!

Take heart though, Spring is coming!!!
2015-03-10 8:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
if you ask yourself, "what would you rather be doing?" what's the answer ?

perhaps you are doing too much and it feels like too much of a burden. make sure you are doing the "plan" and no extra training!
I'm just thinking about my experiences where it seemed like it was burning me out, so I dialed it back when needed.

Other things to help, throw in some fun stuff that you enjoy during the week. Consider switching things up and do a trail run instead of that same old road route. Ride your MTB instead of the tri bike (once in awhile). Swim at a different pool, & find some friends to SBR with.

read people's race reports for the race you plan on doing. look at the course profiles, the race details...envision your "reward" day.

also write down WHY you are doing this in the first place. what are your goals? your pros & cons for tri training, and the "race".
Why do you like it and why do you not? Are there things you want to change to make it "better" for you?

Just a few ideas to help.

Edited by metafizx 2015-03-10 8:04 PM
2015-03-10 8:18 PM

I go on facebook and look at people I went to school with......that usally motivates me back to training.

2015-03-11 11:55 AM

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

For those who are interested, here's what worked for me this time:

- A few days off completely, with good nutrition
- Signing myself and my son up for a local 3 mile race (his first organized race ever)
- Watching some tri videos and researching different products and techniques
- Reflecting on where I started this time last year, and where I am today (lost 60 lbs, quit smoking, killed my first 1/2 mary at 1:37:21, etc)
- Cutting out the extra weight training (I struggle a bit with the idea, and reality of letting some muscle mass fall off)
- Joining a gym with a 50m pool instead of the one I've been at with a 23yd pool (strange right?)
- Plugging into the community, both locally and on here.

Thankfully, I live in a warmer climate (though it has been raining and what we would consider cold here lately), so being able to get outside to train and get off the trainer and treadmill now and then have been huge benefits also. Heck, I think even an indoor track now and then helps break up the monotony of treadmill time.

All this stuff is still relatively new to me, but I greatly appreciate the willingness of others to speak up and help out every time I've asked a question.
2015-03-15 6:42 PM
in reply to: pugpenny

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Originally posted by pugpenny

This happens to me, and I think it is quite normal. Watching races, like Kona or ITU racing online gets me fired up, as does a video I have from USAT Nationals bike course. Or just going and running a race helps get the juices flowing again too.

I hear you though on the lack of motivation. I start training for my first HIM in April and now after having lost about a month of really consistent training due to a big renovation/move I find myself struggling just to get into a routine and or to generally give a $hit about getting up early and training!

Take heart though, Spring is coming!!!
x2 Whenever I'm down I'll watch the old Kona coverage on Youtube while on the trainer and that gets me back into the spirit.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Staying Motivated Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How do you stay motivated in the offseason???? Pages: 1 2

Started by Jeffreyc
Views: 1743 Posts: 28

2010-10-28 8:02 AM wannabefaster

Need help staying motivated!!!!!! Pages: 1 2

Started by Lauren_Pgh
Views: 2576 Posts: 39

2010-04-06 9:00 PM Lauren_Pgh

how to stay motivated w/o a race?

Started by MuscleMomma
Views: 1213 Posts: 15

2007-08-10 3:44 PM suffer78

Staying motivated

Started by EABonney
Views: 672 Posts: 7

2007-07-17 8:16 AM EABonney

How do you stay motivated? Pages: 1 2

Started by iwantotri
Views: 1687 Posts: 34

2007-06-28 1:07 PM LB22
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 14, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
At the age of 44, I am experiencing extreme pain in my hip. I have been trying simple stretching and have found no relief.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 2
It may seem simple, but too many athletes get hurt during the season. We all need to stay safe while we share the roads. Here are some reminders to remain alert to our surroundings.
date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation

date : October 10, 2004
author : adrianogier
Your programme was a great help in getting my training organised and balanced. Your web site has been a great help.