General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2003 BeginnerTriathlete.com Triathlon Talk Forum Cold Christmas Holiday Mock Triathlon Challenge ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2003-12-12 6:09 PM

Expert
NC Illinois
Subject: 2003 BeginnerTriathlete.com Triathlon Talk Forum Cold Christmas Holiday Mock Triathlon Challenge ...
more commonly known as the "BTTTFCCHMTC"

When: Dec 27,2003

What: A "mock" triahtlon (indoor/outdoor) to increase motivation for these cold indoor training days, and to get an evaluation point of reference.
-----------------------------
Distances --

Sprint: 500m swim, 13 mile bike, 3mi run (5K)
Olympic: 1500m swim, 26mi bike, 6mi run (10K)
1/2 IM: 1.2mi swim, 56mi bike, 13mi run
IM: 2.4 mi swim, 112mi bike, 26mi run
The Idiot Holiday Special: 5mi swim, 200mi bike, 50mi run.
-------------------------------

Why do I want to do this?

Training is always better with a deadline or test to meet. I have never done all three events in one day in succession. I want to do it to find my time for the three events at a race pace. Then, I want to do this again, at the end of Feb, and make sure my time goes down. I'll use this time as a reference point to evaluate my training.

I'm open to how we can do this. We can make it competitive or friendly. If there is interest, we can work out transition time limitations, equipment limitations, etc.

I'll be doing this at the YMCA. I'll swim, get out of the pool, throw on some socks, shoes, shorts and t-shirt (won't dry off ... 2-3 minutes) and hit the lifecycle , then, I'll jump right up and go right to the treadmill (10 seconds). I won't count the transition times in my total time.

Again, my main goal is to record a december time, and make sure my febuary time is lower than my decemeber time (by a good amount too).

Do you have what it takes? (Okay, a feeble attempt at peer pressure).

Edited by TripleThreat 2003-12-12 6:10 PM

2003-12-13 6:14 AM
in reply to: #2471

Subject: RE: 2003 BeginnerTriathlete.com Triathlon Talk Forum Cold Christmas Holiday Mock Triathlon Challenge
Well ....... This sounds great to have a goal. The logistics have me concerned -- particularly from the swim to the bike -- dripping down the long hallway to the bike does not leave a pretty picture to me(!). And suppose by the time I get there there is no bike available..... I suppose I could try to find some sort of head covering for wet head (I know men don't worry about this as much if at all) but haven't thought of what yet. Then there is the date -- I may be off snowshoeing that day. If the date does not work, is there "wiggle room" to do it on an alternate date - that is if I get up the guts to do it at all! And if those logistics work themselves out.

Thanks for the idea and food for thought,

Nancy (I would do the sprint distance)
2003-12-13 6:59 AM

User image

Expert
New Port Richey
Subject: RE: 2003 BeginnerTriathlete.com Triathlon Talk Forum Cold Christmas Holiday Mock Triathlon Challenge
Sounds cool but I am doing a 5k run that day.
2003-12-13 12:01 PM

Expert
NC Illinois
I don't know why I said I wouldn't dry off. I will dry off as I am walking from the pool to the locker room (put on shoes, socks, shirt and change shorts).

All I meant was I won't waste time drying off in the locker room. The only thing that would be dripping down the hallway is the wet swim trunks (which will be off and replced by regular shorts).

The whole point is that I want it to be as "racelike" as possible. I don't want to spend 5 minutes in the locker room, drying every drop, grooming my hair, so it's "just right", brushing my teeth, flossing, trimming my armpit hair, flexing my muscles for a few poses, etc.

There are lots of valid reasons why one "shouldn't or couldn't do this" ... I'm ignoring all of them and just going to do it.

If there's someone on the bike when I need it, then I'll just run then bike.

I'm going to ride outside today (25 degrees in Northern Illinois). There are plenty of reasons not to, but none that are better than the benefit of getting used to being uncomfortable and strengthening the mind.
2003-12-13 8:18 PM

I'm in!
I have a friend that I train with twice a month. We get together to really push ourselves. But since we have just started training, we are only going to do 1/2 a Sprint. This may sound wimpy, but we have not worked up to that level of fitness yet. I will aspire to do a full Sprint in Feb. when you do this again.

;-)
2003-12-13 9:01 PM

Expert
NC Illinois
The longest I have ever swam is 500m, the longest I have ever biked is like 24 miles, and the longest I have ever ran (today in the snow) is 6 miles.

I am preparing for sprint races. I'm thinking of saying "screw the sprints" and do the Olympic distances.

I'm gonna do the olympic distances on Dec. 27 and see how it goes. So, basically for every event I'm going to be in "new territory".

So, I'll either:

1. finish it and accomplish something I didn't know I could.

• .. or ...

• 2. Crash and burn.

either way I learn something valuable to my training.

-----------------------------------------------

The only intimidating part is the 1500m swim. Then again, worse comes to worse, I roll over on my back and swim some backstroke, or sidestroke, or breast stroke. The pressure is on, the adult swim only lasts an hour (I can swim 500m in 13-14 minutes).

----------------------------------------------

We had a great discussion about "reflexes" and the absolutely amazing things a person can do when their mind (and its limitations) are removed from the equation. This type of training is mental. Once you get comfortable with being uncomfortable, the rest is easy.

Everyone gets knocked down. A champion always gets up.

2003-12-14 12:21 AM

User image

Walla Walla, WA
    so is this something that we're all supposed to do and share times or what?
    I'm down to do it, but I need to know fairly soon because I'll be leaving school and won't have access to the gym.
    2003-12-14 8:18 AM

Subject: ...
    This user's post has been ignored.
    2003-12-14 9:21 AM

Expert
    NC Illinois
    Yeah, do it on your own and report it in the races section.

If you do it a day earlier or a day later, no one will know.

It will give you a number to lower by Febuary. It'll give your daily training a little more zip(zip? I sound like my grandpa).
    2003-12-14 10:12 AM

Champion
    Gold member

all right, i'm in.  i will do mine on this friday...leaving for florida for two weeks - will only be able to run and kayak...in the SUN!!!!!!!

it'l be a sprint for me....things have slowed down and this is a great chance to start my 1/2im training (procrastinate, procrastinate)

I will be posting my race in the NEW 'your races' section....its a triathlon right?  of course...so put it up their.

2003-12-14 5:28 PM

Veteran
    SF East Bay
    I haven't started my swimming yet, but what the hell ... I am in for a sprint distance. I will complete this at the 24hr fitness (indoors) in the morning. It should be interesting since this will be my first unoffical triathlon! I need to buy some Speedos cause my surfer shorts will drag me down and I hope I don't fall off the treadmill. Does any one have some basic pacing times to shoot for so I don't get ahead of myself and choke? For the sprint, I'm thinking:

S:10min, B:45min, R:35min = 90mins total

2003-12-15 5:30 PM
    in reply to: #2510

2003-12-16 2:06 AM

2003-12-16 6:04 AM

Extreme Veteran
    Orangeville, Ontario
    Count me in for the sprint distance. Swimming is still a big problem but what the heck I'll give it a try. I'll be swimming at the pool then jumping on my mountain bike (in the snow) the go for the run. I hope it’s not to cold out!!

Geoff
    2003-12-16 8:08 AM
    in reply to: #2565

Veteran
    Rutland Ohio (South Eastern Ohio)
    Chris...
    You are a much better man than me if you are going to be swimming out in the weather during December. What is the expected water temperature??? Good luck
    2003-12-17 6:49 PM

Walla Walla, WA
    Subject: So how are we doing this?
    Are we going to standardize how to do transitions? I think it might be better if we just don't include transitions in the final times. What do you think? Guys (and girls)? Triple Threat?
    -S

2003-12-17 7:02 PM
    in reply to: #2644

Champion
    Gold member
    Subject: RE: So how are we doing this?

i don't know about u, i was gonna run from the pool to the first floor where the bikes r and do the 'advanced towel wrap-around technique' to change  - gotta simulate the transitions too...saving a minute on the transitions is a lot easier than saving a minute on the run...WAIT!...something very bad may happen when attempting that technique...it is busy at that time...good call sirsam...may as well get changed in decency and nix the T's.

2003-12-17 7:15 PM

Expert
    NC Illinois
    I'm not going to count transitions. One of my transitions will be 2-3 minutes, the other will be 5-10 seconds.

The transitions in a race are going to be easy for me ... I'm not changing. I've got toe clips on the bike, so I'll wear my running shoes on the bike. I'll just wear my jammers throughout. If they make me put on a shirt, then I'll wear a shirt.

I'm not counting transitions, but I am making it a point to make them quick. I want to have a time for each event for a reference of comparison every 2 months. That's what I am after.

The transitions in a locker room and in a building where stairs are involved, other peopple may be on the machine, etc ... that isn't going to carry over to outdoor stuff, so I won't worry about it.
    2003-12-23 7:19 PM

Dover, OH
    Sounds great! I will be doing the sprint, but not until the 29th.
    2003-12-31 10:45 AM

I did it!!! Today. It was GREAT!!! I don't know how to post it in the log -- help??

Thanks triplethreat for this idea! And I will look for the next scheduled date in February -- even if I may not be able to participate on the exact date. Waht fun.

Happy New Year to all.

Nancy
    2003-12-31 4:57 PM
    in reply to: #3050

Champion
    Gold member

just go to 'your races' at the top of the forum and then select 'add race'...then fill in the rest with dropdowns and feel free to elaborate on the comments...

great job!

2004-01-01 10:00 PM

Expert
    NC Illinois
    I did the swim ... forgot to hit the start on my watch, so halfway through I checked my time, noticed it wasn't rolling, so started it. I swam the last half of a 500m in 6:30. Went downstairs only to find a line of 2 people waiting for the lifecycle.

Bought a minoura mag trainer (with gift money) to solve that problem. Will do it one weekend form this one (out of town this weekend).

2004-01-02 9:58 AM

Dover, OH
    I completed the BTTTFCCHMTC this morning. This was the first time I did all three events in the same day. Felt pretty good. My total time was 1:28. I'll post my times on the race forum. Looking forward to doing this once a month until the race season gets here in the summer.
    2004-01-05 1:05 AM

2004-01-07 6:56 PM
    in reply to: #3180

Champion
    Gold member
    great job chris, u turboed through those transistions compared to some of us bumbling around the locker room.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2003 BeginnerTriathlete.com Triathlon Talk Forum Cold Christmas Holiday Mock Triathlon Challenge ... Rss Feed  

of 2