General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A crazy thing to do? Maybe not. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-24 11:35 AM

Subject: A crazy thing to do? Maybe not.
With the final tri of my first season ending this weekend in Chicago, I will have completed two Sprints and two Oly's this summer. Now, what to do?
Got it, go run a marathon for the fun of it. Can I be ready in just 6 weeks (I want to run with some friends in Wisconsin on 14 october)? I have a base of 20 miles per week with 10-12 mile runs on Saturday. Here is the plan. Totally an unorthodox plan I know, but it will be a lot of fun to see if it works.
Twice a week, with 3 days rest in between, run/walk a full 26 miles. Sound absurd, I am going te get hurt? I think not if I do it this way:

1. Be fully rested and energized from a good diet prior to each session.
2. Bring plenty of water, energy drinks and foods along for the trip.
3. Run at 65% heart rate until I feel the lactic acid start to build in my leg muscles.
4. Shift to a walk until the acid cleans off (pretty quick for me), then start the run (jog) again.
5. At the turnaround point, evaluate my condition based on the intuitive feel I have for my capabilities, can I get back home comfortably?
6. Head back home using 2, 3 and 4, or call my wife to come pick me up.
7. Ride the bike and/or swim for 30 minutes on the off days for recovery and get plenty of rest.

If it works and if I can do the final session in under 5 hours (4:59 will do!), I am going to Wisconsin. If it doesn't, I have learned something about myself and had a lot of fun finding out. Besides, Michigan outdoors where I live is spectacular this time of the year. So are the 70 degree days.

I will keep you posted on my progress.

p.s. Maybe others should look at doing something far out after a hard summer of training and competition. Add some spice to you fitness regimes. Do something different than a tri for some variety. I think a century bike ride is in order after the marathon.

2006-08-24 11:44 AM
in reply to: #520860

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: A crazy thing to do? Maybe not.
Sounds pretty nuts to me but I am no where near marathon shape. Good luck to you and let us know how it turns out.
2006-08-24 1:50 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Well, it defies all reason and established training principles, but that seems to be your defiant purpose, so good luck with that. Injury is not inevitable, though you are placing yourself at elevated risk for occurrence.
2006-08-24 5:09 PM
in reply to: #521037

Bear,
Since when is trying something outside the norm a "defiant purpose"? I know you are smarter than that. Let's see, with six weeks to go, if I add the holy 10% per week distance to my already 12 mile run, then I am not going to get there am I? Besides, what a bore. I realize six weeks is short notice, but I have a good 8 month aerobic base, so I think a different (not defiant) approach may be okay. It will be fun to try, and I have a lot of time on my hands (retired). There is always a risk of injury, but since my motives for doing this are pure (not for money or ego, only the joy of running), then I think I know my body well enough to see if the approach is working or not. Who knows, maybe it will. The key is sufficient rest and good eating between sessions and good nutrient intake on the road. All of the BT training plans are computer generated following a very strict set of guidelines ( I can show anyone how to generate any of them in a few minutes using Excel). None fit what I want to do in such a short time so I have to come up with something on my own. Makes life fun.

P.S. Contrary to what you may think, I have researched this approach fairly thoroughly. The key is getting those 3 day rest periods between the overdistance training periods, and lots of the right food. I will keep you posted how it goes.
2006-08-24 5:18 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
StartingOld - 2006-08-24 11:35 AM

Sound absurd, I am going te get hurt? I think not if I do it this way:

Why bark at bear when he was only giving you his opinion to a question you asked? Your post really seems to be about asking for justification for a decision you've already made, regardless of the potential consequences.
2006-08-24 5:23 PM

I say go for it. But I am by no means an expert. I guess if you do get hurt you will no better next time. If you don't get hurt, well hopefully you will still know better next time

It is not like you are going to try and win the thing. Like you said add some spice.....

2006-08-24 6:01 PM

Champion

Or you could walk/run 52 miles once a week and rest 6 days in between!

2006-08-24 6:58 PM
in reply to: #521255

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

StartingOld - 2006-08-24 5:09 PM P.S. Contrary to what you may think, I have researched this approach fairly thoroughly. The key is getting those 3 day rest periods between the overdistance training periods, and lots of the right food. I will keep you posted how it goes.

I would love to see that research, or anything you have that says this is a sound training approach.

scoobysdad - 2006-08-24 5:18 PM Why bark at bear when he was only giving you his opinion to a question you asked? Your post really seems to be about asking for justification for a decision you've already made, regardless of the potential consequences.

EXACTLY what I mean by "defiant purpose."

2006-08-24 7:18 PM

Regular
Minneapolis, Minnesota
I think it sounds like a pretty crazy plan. Why not pick a marathon that's 16 weeks away, recruit some pals to join you and train safe?

Whatever you decide (it sounds like you've already decided), I'll be interested to see how your plan goes.
2006-08-24 8:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country
Well, I don't think you're crazy for trying to do the marathon in six weeks if you've been doing those 10-12 mile runs pretty regularly.

But I don't think your proposed training approach is a good one.

Why not just keep extending your weekend runs, maybe do a 14, 16, 18, 20 miler over the next four weeks, then taper for two weeks. During the week, run every other day, keeping the other runs your current length (I'm guessing about 3-4 miles per run?). So your total weekly mileage would go like 24 / 26 / 28 / 30 / taper / taper. Maybe throw in some aquajogging to get some extra strength in a low impact way.

Of course, this assumes you're doing the marathon "for fun" and plan to take it easy and jog/walk it in...

That's more aggressive in the rampup of your long runs than the typical plan, and still kindof low mileage, but it's much closer to the traditional (read: tried and true) approach than what you suggest...

Two 26-mile run/walks per week just seems like overkill and not spread out enough. You've got enough time for an aggressive ramp-up like above. Not that I'm a great runner or anything, but I've found a lot more improvement from running 3-4 days per week shorter distances than running just twice a week at any distance. Sounds like a recipe for injury to me...

Good luck!!

:-)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A crazy thing to do? Maybe not. Rss Feed