General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Eight Laws of Swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-16 6:34 PM

User image

Subject: Eight Laws of Swimming
At the beginning of each season, when I swam in high school, my coach would gather us together and discuss the most important aspects of swimming that we should think about while training throughout the season. Over the years I have updated and modified these talks into the “Eight Laws of Swimming”.

1. The three most important parts of swimming are technique, technique, and technique.

2. Listen to the water, feel the water, be one with the water. Swim quietly.

3. To become effortless requires great effort.

4. Learn to balance, align, and stabilize your body first. Everything else will become easier.

5. Power is generated from the hips and torso. Use your shoulders for your recovery and to generate additional arm speed.

6. Use visual and mental imagery of yourself achieving and surpassing your goals!!

7. Attack your race; don’t worry about your opponent. You can only control what YOU do.

8. Never look back.

Head over to my blog for an in-depth explanation of each law. Let me know which one you like the most. I'm partial to #7. It goes along with my training mantra of "The race is with yourself."

http://ironswimming.com/eightlaws-part1/

http://ironswimming.com/eightlawspart2/

2015-03-16 6:37 PM
in reply to: ironswimming

User image

Groningen, Netherlands
Subject: RE: Eight Laws of Swimming
I mean, if I sense if a faster swimmer in my lane is coming up from behind I'll look back at the end of the length to see if I have to hold at the wall or if I can continue swimming
2015-03-17 12:47 PM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
I think #1 and 5 go hand in hand and are the most important for many triathletes. I've seen too many at the pool cranking out tons of garbage yardage and doing more harm than good.

Like you, I was fortunate enough to start swimming when I was younger (long before I started in triathlons) so I had the technique aspects of the sport down.
2015-03-17 1:14 PM
in reply to: Dunn Right

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
I like # 3
2015-03-17 2:01 PM

User image

Oakville

Good stuff!  Can you recommend any drills to work on #5 and improve use of the hips and torso?

2015-03-17 3:33 PM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

I like having my swimmers do the 12/3/12 drill. For this drill you kick on one side for 12 kicks, take three full strokes, and then 12 kicks on the other side. This helps your body to rotate and you can feel your hips drive you through the three strokes. Another good drill would be to kick 6 times on each side with your arms at your side, focusing on your hips and core to rotate.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Eight Laws of Swimming Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swim training - law of dimishing returns Pages: 1 2

Started by Rogillio
Views: 2159 Posts: 28

2012-10-30 9:45 PM simpsonbo

21 Top Laws of Swimming

Started by AdventureBear
Views: 1950 Posts: 10

2011-01-30 11:34 AM monkeyboy64

Eight days a week

Started by older2533
Views: 1570 Posts: 21

2010-09-08 1:26 PM moondawg14

Smoking By-Laws??

Started by athena
Views: 809 Posts: 12

2004-10-14 4:29 PM kimj81

!Police and Cyclists differ on the Laws! (Long)

Started by Motivated
Views: 1494 Posts: 21

2004-09-02 6:08 PM mhan22
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
What triathletes can learn from a new world record in the 1500 meters

date : July 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique
date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : March 17, 2008
author : randomescape
comments : 10
I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : April 2, 2006
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.
date : May 3, 2005
comments : 1
Swimming and golf can both present you with a meditative-like form of exercise that I have found to be both fulfilling and fun!

date : October 10, 2004
Many people in the triathlon world think they need to just emulate Ian Thorpe to have a faster time, or have a similar stroke to Michael Phelps to cruise through the swim. Unfortunately...