General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Breath Like A Champion Today Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-20 10:49 AM

User image

Subject: Breath Like A Champion Today
While many new swimmers focus their attention on perfecting their stroke, they sometimes overlook another important aspect of swimming: breathing. Below are some tips on how to improve your breathing.

Tip: Practice swimming with a snorkel to improve your technique and body position while you are learning to breathe properly. Using the snorkel allows you to constantly breath while swimming without losing form to breathe.

Tip: If you feel that you have trouble practicing the proper way to breathe because it causes your body to sink, practice with a pull buoy. The pull buoy will provide some extra support in the water making it easier for you to focus on your breathing technique.

Check out the article below for more in-depth thoughts on what to look for and what to avoid when breathing during freestyle.

http://ironswimming.com/freestylebreathing/

I tend to breathe every three strokes during my races because it helps me to get in a better swimming rhythm and it helps me to see who is around me so I can protect myself from being kicked and punched.

Do you breathe every stroke, bilaterally, or with a different breathing pattern in a race?

2015-03-20 10:58 AM
in reply to: ironswimming

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Breath Like A Champion Today

Originally posted by ironswimming  Do you breathe every stroke, bilaterally, or with a different breathing pattern in a race?

Yes.  

I breathe as dictated by the conditions.  If I want to look around, I breathe on both sides, if I need to avoid sun/waves/etc I breathe on the other side.  If I need to just put my head down and go hard I am most likely breathing every stroke on my right.

2015-03-20 12:57 PM
in reply to: ironswimming

User image

Oakville

I have always struggled with the swim and so I am in the process of deconstructing my swim stroke.  One of the things I am focusing on right now is breathing and timing each breath.

How do you teach your swimmers to exhale - slow and steady or one big burst before you rotate your head to inhale?

I've seen both methods recommended, but some argue that when you hold your breath your chest will float causing your legs to drop. Your thoughts? 

2015-03-20 1:07 PM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

I find it easier to fully exhale most of my oxygen through slow and steady exhaling. This also creates air pressure to keep the water out of my nose, when my face is in the water. I generally swim with my mouth slightly open so I exhale using both my nose and my mouth. Holding the carbon dioxide too long in your lungs will make your body crave oxygen more, making you more out of breath than you should be.
2015-03-20 1:08 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by ironswimming  Do you breathe every stroke, bilaterally, or with a different breathing pattern in a race?

Yes.  

I breathe as dictated by the conditions.  

'xactly

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Breath Like A Champion Today Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

who likes fuel belts for marathon distance ? Pages: 1 2

Started by metafizx
Views: 2104 Posts: 29

2009-11-08 8:08 PM trimama530

I actually liked it

Started by besttri
Views: 1145 Posts: 9

2009-10-23 11:40 AM DRP

Jessi likes my pose! Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by the bear
Views: 7101 Posts: 112

2006-05-10 10:57 AM CptnJackSparrow

I'm liking swimming?

Started by lincsguyus
Views: 989 Posts: 12

2006-01-20 4:42 PM Renee

OK, now your race "likes"

Started by madkat
Views: 1514 Posts: 24

2005-05-12 6:58 PM vmr719
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.

date : October 20, 2008
author : AndriaLL
comments : 1
It was literally seconds after I started swimming that I felt the tightness in my chest. I couldn’t get a deep breath in due to the tightness of my wetsuit. I was being strangled by my wetsuit...
date : May 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Tim DeBoom is a 2 time World Ironman Champion. In the following interview he answers several of our members questions.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?
date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
It's extremely frustrating and I even get in a bad mood when I run. I think I might have increased my mileage too fast. I have a hard time catching my breath now too, even at short distances.

date : October 30, 2005
author : boneyard
When you can't catch a breath on the swim and your equipment fails, keep trying!!