EndorFun
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 52m 31s
Overall Rank = 703/1414
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 564/968
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 3:30 had my pre race bagel with peanut butter, also had some fig newtons, and banana. I was about an hour from the race so started my drive about mid way to the race site it started to pour down rain. Needless to say I wasn’t happy about it at all. Got to the race site with more than enough time to spare, so I decided to take a 30-40 min nap. I really didn’t sleep but it felt good just to lay back and rest. I finally decided it was time to get ready, so I headed out to my rack to set up my stuff. On the way I ran into a bunch of friends all of which were upset about the rain. The guy next to me had the coolest thing ever it was a HUGE zip lock bag with a handle, he fit everything he needed into that bag. Ran into some teammates Steve (thegomer) and Bill,we chatted for a while, during this chat the rain stopped and the we found out the race was going to be delayed about an hour, which meant my wave was now going off at 8:45 or so.
Event warmup:

swam about 200 yards while waiting for my wave to start.
Swim
  • 39m 16s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started in the middle of the pack which was a good spot for me. Just as I got to the first turn I started to realize something was wrong, the lake was getting rough the waves were high. It was getting very hard to sight. It was almost as rough as Eagleman, but without the whitecaps. I knew I had to stay tough and I would get through the swim. I was hoping for a much faster swim but that wasn’t happening in those conditions.
Transition 1
  • 03m 22s
Comments:

long run out of the water along the beach to hit the mat...took my time wanted to make sure i had everything in order.
Bike
  • 3h 02m 51s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.38 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew the bike was going to be hilly which I was looking forward too, it seems this year I’ve been better on the hills than flats. The bike started out with a nice little hill, about mid way up I passed a guy on the right (I said sorry) since there was so much race and car traffic on the left and he was right in the middle. I looked over as I was say “on your right” and saw the guy I was passing was Mr. Hoyt. At that point I could have ended the race and felt good about it. It was a honor to be racing right night the him, unfortunately he didn’t have his son with him, I guess cause of the wet conditions. The first 15 miles was up and down. About mile 20 or so it flattened out with a tailwind which was great but I knew that tailwind would turn into a headwind soon. Sure enough I hit that headwind which slowed me down big time. I rather have hills than a headwind. Wind just kills me. I couldn’t wait until we hit some hills, I needed a change of pace and terrain. On the way back I passed a few teammates it was nice to see some familiar faces on the bike. At one point of the bike it started to drizzle, I started down a downhill and hit 45mph, that drizzle felt like little needles, kind of weird. Got off the bike and it was time to start the dreaded bike to run.
What would you do differently?:

i could have went a littl harder on the flat section. I didn't really have a problem with the hills, they were a nice change of pace for me.
Transition 2
  • 03m 17s
Comments:

not much happen here, took my time again made sure i get some calories in me.
Run
  • 2h 03m 47s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

I say the dreaded bike to run, cause I am terrible off the bike. I normally feel like shit during the run, the past 2 half IMs I had to walk portions of the run. I started the run and felt good. I couldn’t believe how good I felt. I was actually passing people on the run which I NEVER do, no matter what the distance. The run was 2 loops which I liked much better cause it seemed more manageable then an out and back of 7 miles. Plus I was able to see my teammates/friends going the other way. I have been battling a lower back issues when I run which only really seems to bother me while I am running hills. Of course this run course had somehills. I finished my first loop feeling good, but I knew the 2nd loop would be a struggle. The 2nd loop was a little bit more difficult and my back was hurting on the hills, I knew if I stopped to walk the hills I would walk again and again and that was something I didn’t want to do so I kept running. I made the final turn and headed for the finish. I was so happy that I was able to run the entire run. I was happy with my race and I don’t think I would have done anything different.

What would you do differently?:

other than run faster i don't know what i would do differently, considering my last 2 half IM runs this was a good run for me.
Post race
Warm down:

it was hard to get warm when most of your stuff is wet :)

Event comments:

a great race, sorry to see the weather wasn't great but overall it's a A+ race. I would do this race again.

Last updated: 2005-11-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:16 | 2112 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/968
Overall: 617/1414
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleevless
Course: clockwise. 2 right hand turns
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:22
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:02:51 | 56 miles | 18.38 mile/hr
Overall: 714/1414
Wind: Some
Course: rolling out and back. about a 20 mile section that seemed flat the second time on that section had a nice little head wind not to mention some rain.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:17
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:03:47 | 13.1 miles | 09m 27s  min/mile
Overall: 816/1414
Performance: Good
Course: out and back with some rollers.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-24 3:40 PM

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ
Subject: TIMBERMAN Half Iron

2006-08-24 4:21 PM
in reply to: #521167

User image

Extreme Veteran
Home port
Subject: RE: TIMBERMAN Half Iron
I didn't know you were scheduled to do this race.  Way to hang tough on the run, and the rain.
2006-08-24 5:47 PM

User image

Expert
Nice race and nice effort on the run. Looks like your hard work running is paying off... Keep it up!
2006-08-24 6:54 PM

User image

Expert
San Diego
Great race John. You looked good on the run every time I saw you, wish I could say the same for myself, that's probably why we whiffed on the one hi-five haha.
2006-08-25 6:01 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Great race in those conditions. Hell, great race period!The Hoyts really are amazing. Watching them come across the finish line together helped to put everything we do into perspective.
2006-08-25 12:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Roseville, California
Congrats on a great race!

2006-08-25 1:31 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA