General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon Watch OTHER than Garmin? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-03-25 2:45 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Subject: Triathlon Watch OTHER than Garmin?

Does anyone use something OTHER than a Garmin?  After having a Garmin that hasn't worked in any city that I've lived in (Vancouver, London, Chicago and now Austin), I want to give something else a try.  (please note: this is NOT a plea to have you tell me that your Garmin is the greatest thing ever and that I should give them another chance, it's not going to happen)

Suunto?  Polaris?  Bryton?  Other? 

What did you pick and why did you NOT choose a Garmin??  

2015-03-25 3:42 PM
in reply to: #5103471

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Triathlon Watch OTHER than Garmin?
I would check out DCrainmaker's recommended Gps devices pages. I think he has some non Garmin devices on there.
2015-03-25 3:54 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX

I tested out the Tomtom multisport and loved it. Can even pick up HR in the swim as it's opitical on the wrist (no chest strap). I recently learned that tomtom is the biggest gps company in the world and they are looking heavily into sports devices, so I suspect we'll see more good things from them...

2015-03-25 3:57 PM

User image

Can you define "hasn't worked?"  GPS?  Altimeter? ANT+ devices?  Battery?  Might help others give you recommendations as all GPS devices have pros and cons.  Knowing which cons you find unacceptable should narrow things down.

2015-03-25 3:57 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Thanks axteraa, and believe me, I know all about DC Rainmaker's site and have looked at it thoroughly.  

The problem I'm finding is that his reviews are way TOO in-depth for me, so I was hoping to just get some opinions/options from people who wear the products on a long-term training basis.  

2015-03-25 3:58 PM
in reply to: tjfry

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by tjfry

I tested out the Tomtom multisport and loved it. Can even pick up HR in the swim as it's opitical on the wrist (no chest strap). I recently learned that tomtom is the biggest gps company in the world and they are looking heavily into sports devices, so I suspect we'll see more good things from them...

Thanks tjfry!  I hadn't even thought of Tomtom, but I will check it out.  

2015-03-25 4:01 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Jason N

Can you define "hasn't worked?"  GPS?  Altimeter? ANT+ devices?  Battery?  Might help others give you recommendations as all GPS devices have pros and cons.  Knowing which cons you find unacceptable should narrow things down.

The GPS has never worked.  It never found satellites, synced with them, or was able to give me any distance/pace data because of that.  If I'm buying a GPS device... I would like the GPS to work.  

Ideally, I'd also like waterproof and have a long enough battery life to last IM distance (I'm slow, so that means around 13hrs for me)  

2015-03-25 4:17 PM

User image

Tomtoms are only spec'd for 10 hours of battery life.  Scrolling down to the bottom of DC Rainmaker's reviews gives a pretty good comparison chart of all the features if you don't care for reading his whole write up.  It's usually the first thing I look to before taking the time to read further.

2015-03-25 4:37 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I got the Polar RCX3 GPS and really like it.  Decent price too.

The downsides might be the black background with light numbers (makes it a bit harder to read, IMO), the fact it's not waterproof (neither is my 305). and it doesn't sync up to BT,  Seems you have to download to polar software, then export a file, then import that file into BT.  Even after that, it's minimal information at best.

It's rechargeable, low profile (compared to my 305) and I really like the associated software/apps.  Does everything the Garmin does.  In fact, I don't use the Garmin anymore because I like polarpersonaltrainer website better than the garmin connect website for my personal needs/wants.

I would love to get their flagship tri watch (the V800) it's SWEET.  But comparing $160 to $400?  I went the cheaper route since I'm just not is deep into tri as I once was.

I think I have the move back to Polar for various reasons.  Have the RCX3 for running/biking/GPS (replacing my 305) and the RS300X if I plan to use it in the pool or indoor activities (replace my busted Timex Ironman).

They have the M400 which seems pretty cool because it's the GPS plus all day activity monitor (like a fitbit and such) but it seems more geared for general fitness than the specifics of Tri training.

2015-03-25 4:39 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Jason N

Tomtoms are only spec'd for 10 hours of battery life.  Scrolling down to the bottom of DC Rainmaker's reviews gives a pretty good comparison chart of all the features if you don't care for reading his whole write up.  It's usually the first thing I look to before taking the time to read further.

Great, thanks Jason!  I don't think I ever got to the bottom of the reviews... 

2015-03-25 5:51 PM
in reply to: #5103477

User image

I have had my TomTom multisport for a couple of months and like it. I think the web site could be better and maybe more days extracted. It does lap counting which is great. Wish it gave swim distance as a yard rather than mile. I have no prob with battery. Uses a sime usb charger. There is expansion for cadence on the bike for 60 bucks but I haven't tried it

2015-03-25 6:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

If you have problems getting good satellite reception with a Garmin then you will have that problem with any GPS device. The newer Garmins have much better satellite technology than some of the older ones, and don't expect the TomTom to be any better.

I've used Garmins in Vancouver for about 6 years (first the 305, now the 910xt) with no major issues. In the tall buildings downtown and in some of the heavy-tree-covered trails, satellite reception can be spotty, but again you will have issues with that anywhere. So unless you are looking for a non-GPS solution, you will have the same issues with Polar, Suunto, and TomTom devices.

In my experience, you can't do better than the Garmin 910xt (or the newer 920xt or Fenix 3) for GPS reliability, waterproof (and swim metrics) and battery life.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2015-03-25 6:10 PM
2015-03-25 6:24 PM

User image

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Does anyone use something OTHER than a Garmin?  After having a Garmin that hasn't worked in any city that I've lived in (Vancouver, London, Chicago and now Austin), I want to give something else a try.  (please note: this is NOT a plea to have you tell me that your Garmin is the greatest thing ever and that I should give them another chance, it's not going to happen)

Suunto Ambit 2S. Simple, proven, and of very high quality. You could get the Ambit 3 but the 2S right now can be found for about $250 delivered and it gives you Run, Bike (including power), and swim (including open water) metrics for a very nice price. Battery life on full GPS tracking mode is 12 hours so if you are much slower than this in IM and you do a lot of IM's you may need to go with the Ambit 2 (which is still a bargain at about $350) or Ambit 3.

I have owned Garmin, Polar, and SUUNTO and by far SUUNTO seems to be the best overall value.
2015-03-25 6:36 PM
in reply to: Lock_N_Load

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Lock_N_Load

Suunto Ambit 2S. Simple, proven, and of very high quality. You could get the Ambit 3 but the 2S right now can be found for about $250 delivered and it gives you Run, Bike (including power), and swim (including open water) metrics for a very nice price. Battery life on full GPS tracking mode is 12 hours so if you are much slower than this in IM and you do a lot of IM's you may need to go with the Ambit 2 (which is still a bargain at about $350) or Ambit 3.

I have owned Garmin, Polar, and SUUNTO and by far SUUNTO seems to be the best overall value.

I still have my Garmin because of warranty, but doing research to replace it, this one came up over and over

DC Rainmaker shows it on the wrist of his wife, which is a consideration for someone petite.

is upload to BT an issue ? I don't see it in the dropdown.
2015-03-25 6:42 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Originally posted by marcag

Originally posted by Lock_N_Load

I still have my Garmin because of warranty, but doing research to replace it, this one came up over and over

DC Rainmaker shows it on the wrist of his wife, which is a consideration for someone petite.

is upload to BT an issue ? I don't see it in the dropdown.

Don't know. I only use Movescount (Suunto) and Strava. It uploads automatically to Strava when I upload to Movescount. I have not tried uploading to BT.
2015-03-25 6:53 PM
in reply to: Lock_N_Load

User image

Pro

In order to upload my Suunto to BT, I first download an .fit file from movescount, and then I import it into my workout.  So, it's an extra step.  I haven't really looked for an automated way to do it, so not sure.

But after going through 4 garmins... I am truly amazed at the absolutely perfect performance and stability of my Suunto Ambit 2.  Everything 'just works'.  The OP might want to try one on tho', as the GPS antenna sticks out to the side a bit (so it has great reception), and it isn't always comfortable for small wrists.  The Ambits are really solid watches.

2015-03-25 7:42 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

No advice on what to get (I am also tired of Garmin's unreliability--for me it is Garmin Connect that causes problems). But stay away from Timex Ironman. It is hard to use, takes forever to find signal, and has short battery life.
2015-03-25 8:54 PM

User image

Elite

Hi BEBG,

I have the Polar V800.  It is  Polar's entry into GPS triathlon watches.  I am very pleased with it.  The GPS works in Atlanta and on tree-covered valley roads in the hills of East Tennessee.  The watch also tracks daily activity like a Fitbit.  It also gives geeky positive reinforcement when you reach your activity goal for the day.  I am a sucker for being patted on the back by a itty-bitty computer.  I also bought the foot pod and the speed and cadence sensors.  I have had several Polar watches.  This one is the best one so far.  It is a bit large but is smaller than most of its competitors in the triathlon watch field.  I read complaints online about not having some features yet.  As far as I can tell, the software has been filled out with several updates.  One of the things that it does not do very well is GPS while swimming.  The watch does not get a satellite signal when your wrist is under water.  DCRainmaker shows a very erratic swimming track for the Polar.  Presumably with would work if you put it in your swim cap so that it was always out of the water.

I have a couple of Garmin bike computers (Edge 305) but not their wristwatch products.  The bike computers have had battery problems but were handled under warranty.  I have been satisfied with the performance as a GPS.  I have to be at an intersection where the watch has a view of the sky to find satellites but its ok if I do that.  The handlebar mount has been problematic.  I have broken several of them.  The first couple were replaced under warranty.  The last one (or two?) I bought.

TW

2015-03-25 9:09 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

Originally posted by happyscientist

No advice on what to get (I am also tired of Garmin's unreliability--for me it is Garmin Connect that causes problems). But stay away from Timex Ironman. It is hard to use, takes forever to find signal, and has short battery life.

Interesting. I use my almost everyday & have nary a problem. I have not tried another brand, basically b/c I have not had to, so I cannot really compare & contrast it with other options out there but I find it pretty easy to use. The main reason I bought it was b/c it was by far the least expensive option when I decided I wanted a GPS device. It does everything I want for a pittance. For me, it was the best deal & well worth it.
2015-03-25 10:04 PM
in reply to: 5stones

User image

Extreme Veteran
If the problem is GPS connection, then I'd consider a device that measures simply with a footpod or internal accelerometers such as the 220 or 620.

If all devices so far haven't worked in your areas, I'm skeptical that a different GPS will work.

Main issue I've found people have is that on the treadmill it can be off a little since the arms aren't required to travel as far as the feet do, and a footpod remedies this.

I'm not aware of non-garmin equivalents, but that would be my recommendation.

If you still have a garmin, it might be worth trying a footpod and simply turning off the gps, you can calibrate the footpod at a track or something too.
2015-03-26 2:22 AM

I don't like to be a sheep and didn't want to get a Garmin so spent a bit of time researching other triathlon watches before buying one, but really the 910XT & 920XT are far better than anything else out there. But then I guess it depends what level you're at and how much information you need. When I first got into triathlons I just used a GPS running watch and that was sufficient and if that's the case then you have much more to choose from. Suunto are a very good company and make excellent watches, I have a dive watch that has been very reliable and I know the Ambit 2 has multisport functionality, so they might be worth a look. Personally I'd give Garmin one more chance.

2015-03-26 3:25 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Thanks axteraa, and believe me, I know all about DC Rainmaker's site and have looked at it thoroughly.  

The problem I'm finding is that his reviews are way TOO in-depth for me, so I was hoping to just get some opinions/options from people who wear the products on a long-term training basis.  

Yeah, lots of detail there!    Have you seen this page?  It's a short summary of what he recommends for different categories without going into all the detail.  I see the Suunto listed there for triathlon watches.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/11/winter-gadget-recommendations.html

2015-03-26 5:45 AM

User image

Expert
Eltham North, Victoria
I have also have had a problem with my Garmin. I could not get an accurate heart rate reading. I even bought a new chest strap but I'm pretty sure my at rest heart rate is not 240bpm. I have also had issues with wonky readings with a Polar in the past.
I bought the Tomtom multisport and use a Wahoo blue tooth chest strap with no problems whatsoever. It's simple to use and is not too bulky on my wrist which is quite petite.
The only draw back I can find so far is that I have no way to record an indoor ride using heart rate but I can use an app on my phone for that..but it's not a deal breaker for me.
Either way, I doubt that I would go back to Garmin again and I will never use a Polar after having several fails with that brand.
2015-03-26 6:13 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Monica, I am using a Timex Global Trainer 2. I think they are no longer made but you can find them on Amazon, fairly inexpensive in comparison to some other stuff. I had issues with it's GPS capabilities for a bit, sent it to them, they sent it (or a different one) back to me and I have been flying along ever since. It occasionally drops or won't find GPS, but I simply turn it off/on and it catches signal real quick. I recently paired an Ant+ sensor to it. I don't use a HRM, or a PM, although it will sync with those as well. The most annoying thing is that it doesn't sync with some sites, Strava being the one I use. So I have to do a little dance with a file converter. Or spend $1 for Tapiriik. It does autoconnect to Training Peaks throught the download software.

I have given this some thought and I think when it dies I may go to sport specific devices. I think that those might be a little better at doing just one thing, as opposed to being all things for all people. Just another thought for you. have fun shopping.

2015-03-26 11:22 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Many thanks to everyone for your replies!  

I *think* I'm narrowing down to the Suunto Ambit 2, and also looking at the Tomtom...  

Are watches like bikes where the correct number to have is always n+1?  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon Watch OTHER than Garmin? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Best triathlon watch that doubles as an everyday watch

Started by fubar44
Views: 8123 Posts: 21

2014-01-04 7:42 AM Iowaman

Garmin 310/910 or bike computer and gps watch

Started by garrunning
Views: 1535 Posts: 4

2012-01-01 4:17 PM PeteDin206

I managed to kill my Garmin HRM (not the watch)

Started by agarose2000
Views: 1466 Posts: 7

2011-07-25 6:58 PM tri808

Garmin 305CX Forerunner watch.

Started by SunshineEstrella
Views: 3436 Posts: 4

2011-04-01 2:44 PM SunshineEstrella

Which Garmin is Best...or other GPS Watch

Started by Magnum27
Views: 2355 Posts: 20

2009-11-03 4:54 PM metafizx
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 11, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
"Fandom" in triathlon compared to other sports. If you're a sports fan and simply love to follow sport, why pick a sport that may offer a view of the start, the finish and a few moments in between?

date : November 12, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
In this review, we put the Garmin Forerunner 405 and the Suunto T6C heart-rate and GPS watches through the wringers.
date : September 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
New products from Athlete 3, Fuji, Garmin, Kestrel, LiveStrong, Reynolds, Scott, Specialized, Shimano and Vision Tech

date : June 18, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Easily transfer your workout data from your Garmin, Polar, Timex and more directly into your BT training log. Eliminate the manual entries. Save time!
date : March 26, 2008
author : Team BT
Instructions on how to directly upload routes from your Garmin training device into your training logs.