General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS practices in the area? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-26 2:57 PM

User image


46
25
Subject: OWS practices in the area?
Does anyone know of any groups that are doing OWS clinics/practices closer to May/June, in the NW suburbs, or Wheaton/Naperville area? I'm scared as hell about doing an OWS by myself. I can't and won't. Open water gives me serious heebie-jeebies (WHAT is actually down there!!??) so I have to be around people in order for me to get in! I really want to do a practice OWS prior to race day, so I'm trying to find a group that is planning one or more and will welcome anyone to join in. Anyone know of any??

And sidebar, if anyone goes to the YMCA in Crystal Lake and wants to meet up there, let me know!

THANK YOU!!


2015-03-27 9:01 AM
in reply to: interspace8

User image

Veteran
275
100100252525
Algonquin, IL
Subject: RE: OWS practices in the area?
LITH does their Wednesday night stroke and swim, which follows the LITH tri course. I think it starts on June 3rd this year. If you register for the tri, it's free the first 2X, then $5. Fully guarded and marked. Swim as much as you want. They also mark out a 3 mile run course for some brick work. It's got some hills.
I think they do OWS at Crystal Lake too, but I am not sure when they start. Check the park district web site.
It would be nice if they allowed OWS at Three Oaks. Nice and clean when I swam the tri there last year.
2015-03-27 9:18 AM
in reply to: interspace8

User image

New user
21

Subject: RE: OWS practices in the area?
Greetings interspace8...

Check out Summit Steps Coaching out of Volo, IL. They sponsor a free open water swim every Friday morning in Grayslake (http://summitstepsmultisport.com/open-water-swims/). I plan to do a few OWS sessions this year and I'm sure Coach Sam will be more than welcoming (he's actually my tri cocach for the Racine HIM). I believe turnout is typically ~ 10 of varying levels and abilities.

Hope this helps!
2015-03-27 1:38 PM
in reply to: cartman1966

Master
10208
50005000100100
Northern IL
Subject: RE: OWS practices in the area?

Originally posted by cartman1966 LITH does their Wednesday night stroke and swim, which follows the LITH tri course. I think it starts on June 3rd this year. If you register for the tri, it's free the first 2X, then $5. Fully guarded and marked. Swim as much as you want. They also mark out a 3 mile run course for some brick work. It's got some hills. I think they do OWS at Crystal Lake too, but I am not sure when they start. Check the park district web site. It would be nice if they allowed OWS at Three Oaks. Nice and clean when I swam the tri there last year.

Was going to suggest looking at LITH. Are they still doing the Wednesday swims with the new race management? Hadn't looked at that part of it.

The Crystal Lake swims are also nice. They'll go from about Memorial Day to Labor Day. The times and days vary somewhat as it depends on when people can get together for it. They'll end up getting a few times across a few days. Typically 5:00, 5:30 or 6:00 am. It really depends on people's schedules each year. They'll have 2 main distances of ~1.2 & 2.1 miles though more beginner types can stay around the beach area. This could be a good group to do some more training with too (per another thread of yours). I'm not sure who is actually on the boards though.

Grayslake is ok but might be getting a bit far from you. I hadn't known Sam had his own coaching going. I think The Fitness Pursuit may have used the lake too and would know of something if they moved to another spot.

2015-03-27 2:09 PM
in reply to: #5103810

User image

Elite
3498
20001000100100100100252525
Chicago
Subject: RE: OWS practices in the area?
Crystal lake is best spring/early summer. Late summer the plants in the lake near the beach get tall enough to get entangled slightly which can cause a bit of anxiety for some.
2015-03-27 2:39 PM
in reply to: Steve-

User image

Veteran
706
500100100
Illinois
Subject: RE: OWS practices in the area?

Centennial Beach in Naperville could be a good place to start.  It's a quarry, it's crystal clear, has lifeguards, and is chlorinated and filtered.  The Naperville Sprint and Esprit de She use it for their swim portions.



2015-03-29 12:53 PM
in reply to: Steve-

User image


46
25
Subject: RE: OWS practices in the area?
Originally posted by Steve-

Crystal lake is best spring/early summer. Late summer the plants in the lake near the beach get tall enough to get entangled slightly which can cause a bit of anxiety for some.


THAT is exactly the type of stuff that would freak me out! UGH!!!
2015-03-29 12:58 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image


46
25
Subject: RE: OWS practices in the area?
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Centennial Beach in Naperville could be a good place to start.  It's a quarry, it's crystal clear, has lifeguards, and is chlorinated and filtered.  The Naperville Sprint and Esprit de She use it for their swim portions.




That's the location of my first triathlon...the Esprit De She. My fears are clearly coming to the surface (no pun intended)..because that place scares me too. Clearly I'll have to just tackle this non-pool, deeper water fear. Just do it and get it over with!!
2015-03-29 1:03 PM
in reply to: interspace8

User image


46
25
Subject: RE: OWS practices in the area?
I think its looking like the LITH on Wednesday evenings is going to be the winner here! I'm already off to work at 5:45 a.m. M-F, so evenings win.

Thanks so much everyone..this is all great information! So glad I asked!!
2015-03-29 3:13 PM
in reply to: interspace8

User image

Veteran
275
100100252525
Algonquin, IL
Subject: RE: OWS practices in the area?
Originally posted by interspace8

I think its looking like the LITH on Wednesday evenings is going to be the winner here! I'm already off to work at 5:45 a.m. M-F, so evenings win.

Thanks so much everyone..this is all great information! So glad I asked!!


Keep an eye on the village web site. I think they said June 3rd. It's $5 unless unless you are registered for the tri. They also post water conditions and cancellations due to weather. This runs into August too, but the lake can get a little murky as it warms up.

There is usually a good crowd there through June. I think they do a Saturday morning swim 1x around the 4th.

http://www.lith.org/parksrec
2015-03-30 12:49 PM
in reply to: cartman1966

User image


46
25
Subject: RE: OWS practices in the area?
Originally posted by cartman1966

Originally posted by interspace8

I think its looking like the LITH on Wednesday evenings is going to be the winner here! I'm already off to work at 5:45 a.m. M-F, so evenings win.

Thanks so much everyone..this is all great information! So glad I asked!!


Keep an eye on the village web site. I think they said June 3rd. It's $5 unless unless you are registered for the tri. They also post water conditions and cancellations due to weather. This runs into August too, but the lake can get a little murky as it warms up.

There is usually a good crowd there through June. I think they do a Saturday morning swim 1x around the 4th.

http://www.lith.org/parksrec



Will do! Thanks!


2015-04-04 7:42 PM
in reply to: interspace8


49
25
Subject: RE: OWS practices in the area?
Esprit de She is a great race and you're in good hands. That was my first (and only) tri last year and they had an incredible lifeguard to athlete ratio, plus "swim angels" if you really need a buddy out there.

I think Experience Triathlon in Naperville hosts a couple of practices at Centennial ahead of EdS.

In the city, there are a couple of groups--Live Grit, Chicago Tri Club, Open Water Chicago--that do a Saturday morning thing in the lake.

Good luck! See you at EdS in June!
2015-04-05 5:45 PM
in reply to: runbugjones

User image


46
25
Subject: RE: OWS practices in the area?
Originally posted by runbugjones

Esprit de She is a great race and you're in good hands. That was my first (and only) tri last year and they had an incredible lifeguard to athlete ratio, plus "swim angels" if you really need a buddy out there.

I think Experience Triathlon in Naperville hosts a couple of practices at Centennial ahead of EdS.

In the city, there are a couple of groups--Live Grit, Chicago Tri Club, Open Water Chicago--that do a Saturday morning thing in the lake.

Good luck! See you at EdS in June!


Cool! I'm definately looking forward to the EdS. From what i can tell, it seems like a great tri to be my first.

A friend of mine was planning on doing a few OWS in lake Michigan so she'll be happy to know about the Saturday morning swims. if i were to do that, i think I'll have to invest in a wetsuit of my own.....
2015-07-14 8:24 AM
in reply to: interspace8

User image

Elite
3515
20001000500
Romeoville, Il
Subject: RE: OWS practices in the area?
This may be a bit late for you, but my group had an OWS clinic at Ohio Street Beach this weekend. We met in Willow Springs and drove down for the morning. We are toying with the idea of having another very soon and maybe bringing in another coach from Windy City Masters. Check us out on the web and social media to stay in touch with what we have going on, or contact me for me details.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS practices in the area? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

OWS in the Mundelein Area

Started by ettringite23
Views: 790 Posts: 1

2012-07-24 8:23 PM ettringite23

Open water swim practice in Chicago south suburbs?

Started by Meulen
Views: 4401 Posts: 7

2010-06-09 2:30 PM alex jb

Lakes to practice OWS in Chicago area

Started by AngieF02
Views: 1070 Posts: 4

2010-03-20 2:45 PM crazyquick23

Barrington Area Tri Groups/OWS

Started by Magnum27
Views: 1546 Posts: 8

2009-12-12 8:44 PM jimbollen

OWS - Evanston area

Started by brick711
Views: 718 Posts: 1

2007-06-27 11:23 AM brick711
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
 
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
comments : 0
Some are getting a little OWS practice in, others are strategizing, the rest are just plain scared.