General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin Sux Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-01 9:06 PM

Veteran
New York, Connecticut
Subject: Garmin Sux
Is it just me or is Garmin Express HORRIBLE....

The past couple of workouts I have saved... I see them in my history of activity... and yet they won't upload even after the Garmin Express says "Sync complete". Today I did a swim and Run workout back to back and when I "sync" the watch only the Run was uploaded. Over the weekend I did a bike bike workout and that won't sync at all. Is this happening to anyone else, If so what is the solution to fix it???

This makes me want to switch brands.

2015-04-01 9:29 PM
in reply to: #5105462

User image

Subject: RE: Garmin Sux
While I haven't had the issues you have (workouts not syncing), I have had troubles with Garmin Express recently. It seems that half the time I try to sync it says that Garmin's servers are unavailable. It's been getting on my nerves too.
2015-04-02 7:33 AM
in reply to: Toffels

Veteran
New York, Connecticut
I sent Garmin an email and they told me my data might be corrupted. How does that happen on a GPS watch?? any idea or any idea how to fix that.
2015-04-02 7:53 AM
in reply to: husse23

User image

Regular
, Ohio
Same thing happened to me... Had to Master reset the watch AND uninstall/re-install Garmin Express AND forget and re-connect my watch to Garmin Express. It was a giant PITA but I finally have my watch working for the moment.
2015-04-02 8:14 AM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
I have never had an issue with any of the six Garmin devices that I own/have owned. I actively use 4 different devices a week (Swim, FR620, Edge 510, & VIRB) and outside of when Garmin has had a total system meltdown & no one could upload, I have never had an issue.

I'm not trying to be a Garmin fanboy here, but a couple isolated incidents does not mean an entire brand sucks.
2015-04-02 8:33 AM
in reply to: Meathead

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Meathead I have never had an issue with any of the six Garmin devices that I own/have owned. I actively use 4 different devices a week (Swim, FR620, Edge 510, & VIRB) and outside of when Garmin has had a total system meltdown & no one could upload, I have never had an issue. I'm not trying to be a Garmin fanboy here, but a couple isolated incidents does not mean an entire brand sucks.

^^^This^^^

I love Garmin.  I'm on my 3rd Garmin GPS HR monitor with my 910xt, and have clients using just about every model they make, so I've had the opportunity to observe a larger data pool.  I can tell you beyond a doubt that the problems discussed on forums are the exception, not the norm.  And, many of those appear to be user error. (Not that it sounds like it is in the OP's case.)

2015-04-02 8:43 AM

After spending the last few weeks developing the technology to recreate The Fantastic Voyage, I have successfully installed the quick release kit on my refurbbed 310XT (I'm an el cheapo and still a hobbyist, I couldn't justify the money for a new one, let alone the newer versions)...I do have to wonder about Garmin's engineering.

But then again, I really don't. The only problem I have with them is that they've clearly got issues with syncing.

Yes, the 310 is a massive beast, and more massive with the quick release. I know the newer versions are smaller, but really are still pretty big. Then again, I saw someone post an old commercial for an old Radio Shack "bag phone" recently. $499 for this massive beast of a cell phone that was bigger than a princess phone. More like an old school rotary you used to 'rent' from the phone company. While it's not an 'emerging' technology, the GPS side of things is a pretty narrow market for them. Especially when its been a few years since the ubiquitous "give a gift of Garmin" set to Carol Bells at Christmas time commercials are done. Nobody needs a TomTom or a Garmin for their car when they come built in or you just use your phone. Just not as much money going into the development of it at the time as maybe some of their other more wide-appeal projects.

It's possible they're putting more engineering to the fitness watches and this will improve. Even as I complain about the process of the quick release kit, it's actually not horrible. The quality of the hardware they're using is good. I own a plastics manufacturing factory. The molding and materials design of their housings are quite nice. The hardware (spring pins in particular) are excellent quality.

So, big and clunky? Yeah. Earlier model? Yeah. On the market before the outright 'fitness watch/band' craze? Yep. They will have some amazing stuff in a few years. They are going to have to sort out the connectivity problems though. Doesn't take much googling to see a lot of people complaining.
2015-04-02 9:14 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Uploading has been hit or miss for me recently after a year of really no issues. Lately my workouts have not always uploaded automatically and I have had to open up Garmin Express and click the sync button. The bigger issue for me lately with Garmin is their update to the Garmin Connect web page. You can no longer separate out multisport workouts, this is a problem for when you forget to change the mode and switch it to the correct mode. Actually I have stopped the wrong mode, saved that, changed mode, and then started and it still shows up as multisport.
2015-04-02 11:41 AM
in reply to: smithe68

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

Not to highjack you post but having some Garmin issues as well.

My Garmin is no longer recognized that it is connected to the computer. Tried almost every trick on the internet and still nothing. The Garmin will charge in the cradle but will not connect with computer. Tried different computers but no change. Cleaned the brass contacts, soft reset, etc.

Any other ideas out there?
2015-04-02 1:12 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2015-04-02 3:02 PM
in reply to: GODAWGS

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Originally posted by GODAWGS

Not to highjack you post but having some Garmin issues as well.

My Garmin is no longer recognized that it is connected to the computer. Tried almost every trick on the internet and still nothing. The Garmin will charge in the cradle but will not connect with computer. Tried different computers but no change. Cleaned the brass contacts, soft reset, etc.

Any other ideas out there?

I tried something different today and it worked. I took a little bit of Brasso brass cleaner and put on rag. Wiped the brass contacts for the watch and cradle. Took a clean rag and wiped off the Brasso. It connected to the computer for the first time in over month of trying.

2015-04-02 4:17 PM

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
When you plug in the garmin, it will show up as an external drive. You can go in and grab the .gpx files and move them to your desktop. You can upload them to connect 1 at a time and see which one was bad.

I've gone 305 -> 310 -> Fenix2 -> 920XT with a borrowed 410 in there from time to time and none of them are rock solid. But there's nothing better out there unfortunately.
2015-04-03 7:22 AM

I've def had my fair share of problems and I just started using not too long ago... The GPS locking on after pausing on the bike is def something they need to improve on...
2015-04-03 8:49 AM

On my mac I seem to have the opposite problem of everyone else. When I was using the ANT agent I had so many problems getting my data off my 310 to sync. i had better luck using a third party option on my tablet then the garmin option on my computer. I had to repair it as a new divice every time. Garmin express has worked really well for me and I only had issues when they had the issues earlier this year. That said I'm really glad Garmin set up the 920xt to mount as a hard drive so you can load workouts directly from your device to various websites as it causes a lot less frustration.
2015-04-06 12:35 PM
in reply to: #5105465

Carmel, Indiana
Without a doubt there have been widespread syncing issues. Garmin's standard response has been corrupted files are causing this. In my experience and what is being reported by others is that clearing all of your workout files may not necessarily fix the issue. I also have noticed that Garmin Express is almost always used as the mode of transferring data. My guy telescope me they have a bug that they have not developed a universally effective fix for.
2015-04-06 12:38 PM
in reply to: #5106325

Carmel, Indiana
Guy telescope = my gut tells me. My guy telescope is reserved for my honey.

2015-04-06 2:09 PM
in reply to: EKinIndy

Can the 910xt mount as an external drive if you plug it in directly? I didn't think it could.

I have had only minor issues with Garmin Express (and there were times when it was down for everyone). In general I've been really happy with it. Compared to friends that have competitors' devices, I would say Garmin is still the best.
2015-04-07 7:01 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by jennifer_runs Can the 910xt mount as an external drive if you plug it in directly? I didn't think it could. I have had only minor issues with Garmin Express (and there were times when it was down for everyone). In general I've been really happy with it. Compared to friends that have competitors' devices, I would say Garmin is still the best.

No.  The 910 doesn't have any kind of port to plug in.  It only syncs using ANT+

2015-04-07 7:52 AM

Exton, PA
I had a Garmin 305 for many years, it died in the fall and I did not want to put $100 into refurbishing 15 year technology. Only real issues I had was connecting it to the computer, the contacts were always an issue. I spent a lot of time cleaning those contacts. I really would not have had an issue buying another Garmin except what was available was the 310,910, or 920. I was not paying the price for the 910 or 920 and the 310 seemed bulky again(like the 305 was). Looking around I purchased the Suunto Ambit 2S, so far it seems to be very nice. Does everything I need at a much lower price than the 910 or 920. Also has apps available which I am going to start playing around with soon. Definitely a quality watch and locks into HR and GPS so much faster than my old Garmn did. I can't really say I like it more than I would a 910, because I don't have a 910 to compare it to. So there are other options than Garmin out there, maybe they don't have all the features; but do they have the features you will actually use?

2015-04-07 8:47 AM

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
I had very similar issues as well recently...

I ended up deleting all the "fit" files from my PC and selecting "Upload All" on my 910XT. All is smooth again now!

Here's the text from the Garmin Tech on the Garmin support forum that helped"

Assuming MS Widows...

1. Quit Garmin Express
2. Press the Windows Key + R
3. Type %programdata%
4. Click OK
5. Open the Garmin folder
6. Open the CoreService folder
7. Open the Devices folder
8. Open the Unit ID folder of your device
9. Delete the Sync folder (I didn't just blindly delete it - I renamed it... just in case!)

On the 310XT & 910XT use the Mode-->History-->Transfer All menu to initiate "Transfer All"

2015-04-07 9:19 AM
in reply to: RockTractor

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
Garmin hardware = Awesome

Garmin web/express/anything online = needs a lot of work

I mainly sync using the iphone connect app and either from my Fenix2 or Edge 810 through bluetooth. The Fenix2 sync is pretty reliable, though sometimes I have to open the connect app on the phone to get it to sync.

The 810 sync is very buggy; It seems like it's trying to sync a huge amount of data. Pretty much every attempt I get the red border at the bottom of the app screen "failed to sync" or something like that.

After a couple tries it seems to work.

Garmin, you do a great job with the hardware. Hire better talent, or increase your budget for your web/e-services. Or burn it all down (figuratively), let Strava and other third parties take over. Then just simplify data uploading to that it's reliable.

2015-04-07 10:24 AM
in reply to: tcj103

Garmin, you do a great job with the hardware. Hire better talent, or increase your budget for your web/e-services. Or burn it all down (figuratively), let Strava and other third parties take over. Then just simplify data uploading to that it's reliable.

I agree. I remember back in the early days the only option for online data transfer was a little app called Motionbased. It was great. Back then most people were using Garmin Training Center off-line to store their data. Garmin ended up buying Motionbased and rolling it into Garmin Connect, which just isn't as good, relatively speaking.
2015-04-07 6:38 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

Utah
I had a ton of issues with syncing my older 310 with my computer, I had to uninstall and reinstall the device tons of times. PITA for sure. When I recently updated to a 920xt and synced with my phone, I have never had a problem. I bypass the computer and just use my phone for syncing with the Garmin Connect app and it has been flawless.
2015-04-07 8:30 PM

New user
Pleasant Grove, Utah
I had a corrupt activity on my Fenix 2 the other day and it caused sync failures (message was server failure). Deleted all activities and that fixed it for me.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin Sux Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

A lost season really SUX!

Started by Bigfuzzydoug
Views: 1859 Posts: 23

2010-11-17 12:14 PM TheGoGoGoes

To Garmin 310xt or not to Garmin?

Started by Helibee
Views: 1856 Posts: 10

2010-06-18 9:31 AM trix

I'm in the middle and it sux

Started by David14
Views: 1067 Posts: 16

2005-05-23 8:19 AM ride_like_u_stole_it

Running sux redux......

Started by ChrisM
Views: 877 Posts: 6

2005-01-14 9:31 AM Whit

running sux

Started by ChrisM
Views: 1005 Posts: 15

2004-11-14 12:16 PM John_0026
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 12, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
In this review, we put the Garmin Forerunner 405 and the Suunto T6C heart-rate and GPS watches through the wringers.

date : September 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
New products from Athlete 3, Fuji, Garmin, Kestrel, LiveStrong, Reynolds, Scott, Specialized, Shimano and Vision Tech
date : June 18, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Easily transfer your workout data from your Garmin, Polar, Timex and more directly into your BT training log. Eliminate the manual entries. Save time!

date : March 26, 2008
author : Team BT
Instructions on how to directly upload routes from your Garmin training device into your training logs.