Other Resources The Political Joe » ACA and You can keep your health insurance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2015-09-24 10:59 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Subject: RE: ACA and You can keep your health insurance

Originally posted by Left Brain

I fi was young and you gave me 500.00 per month for health insurance that would BE my health insurance.  I would put that money in a dedicated fund and watch it grow if I didn't need it.

And pay the ACA "didn't give money to an insurance company tax."

2015-09-24 11:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I fi was young and you gave me 500.00 per month for health insurance that would BE my health insurance.  I would put that money in a dedicated fund and watch it grow if I didn't need it.

without your guidance do you think grif would be doing that? A lot of people in this county, especially from poor backgrounds, don't have the wherewithal. 

Edited by dmiller5 2015-09-24 11:44 AM
2015-09-24 11:58 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dmiller5

without your guidance do you think grif would be doing that? A lot of people in this county, especially from poor backgrounds, don't have the wherewithal. 

I don't have any idea.  But this is what I do know......there is no way to make sure everyone in the country doesn't fall through the cracks because of what they don't know or weren't taught, or don't have the guidance for.  It'd be great if it wasn't that way, but at some point you have to be realistic and come to terms with the fact that not everyone is on equal terms economically.  I hope that will always be the case.  What a boring mess life would be if it wasn't.  I guess we could all live in the same kind of house, go to the same kind of school, make the same income, have the same healthcare, and on and on..... and to top it all off, we could teach our children that they could aspire to nothing further as well.

2015-09-24 12:26 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn
Originally posted by tuwood

I was just informed that our Company health insurance is going up 20% in January.  Yay, ACA is working (NOT)

I can't remember all the rate increases over the last 6 years, but it's typically been in the 4%-8% if I recall.  This is quite a divergence from the old norm (that was so horrible we had to create the ACA).

I've always paid 100% of my employee medical coverages, but with this increase it cuts really deep.  The team's not going to be very happy Jan 1, because their entire annual raise is going to be taken out and applied towards their healthcare.

If you haven't already, you should find a broker and see if they can negotatie a better deal with another carrier. It's a pain in the neck to change medical plans, but it beats having to take a 20% hit. For the record, I've worked for companies where, for a number of reasons, our insurance carrier decided to jack our rates up by 20% or more. It happens-- it's not necessarily just because of the ACA. For a small company, it doesn't take much of an uptick in utilization for a carrier to decide that it's not worth the risk to carry the population without a significant increase in premiums. J.

I had already done this, but the other unfortunate issue that the ACA failed to address (because the insurance companies didn't want them to) was the state barriers.  In Nebraska we have Blue Cross and United Health (Cigna too, but they really suck).  That's it.  I do have an independent broker that I've used for years and he shops them every year and gives me quotes.  The alternative was an almost 50% increase.

For giggles I went out to the ACA SHOP to see what it would run me and it was more competitive than I thought but would still be around a 30% increase.  My business partner (who owns and runs another company) has 45 employees and he's seriously considering just canceling all healthcare and paying his employees $500/mo. to go have fun in the open exchange.  From a business standpoint this would be a real option because all cost increases from that point on would go against the employee and not the employer.  I'm not there yet, but it is tempting.

As for the top bolded passage, easy now.  We're not all bad.  :-)

My cousin runs a similar-size heating and air conditioning business and she told me that last year she did exactly that, and it was way cheaper for her employees than going through her brokers.

2015-11-14 11:24 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
2015-11-16 9:19 AM
in reply to: #5105732

User image

Extreme Veteran
I know I'm late to this party but I just have to chime in. Breastfeeding has proven medical benefits for the mother and the child. These include lower rates of ear infections, lower risk of asthma and allergies, etc.

To me it's an obvious business decision. If a company can pay for a $250 pump and encourage a mother to either a) breast feed in the first place and/or b) continue breastfeeding after returning to work, they can potentially avoid thousands of dollars in doctor visits and prescriptions. If a breast pump can help a mother and child continue the breastfeeding relationship and avoid even just one doctor's visit and possibly one prescription, then the insurance company has broken even on their cost. If they can avoid two doctor's visits then the insurance company is money ahead!

For some women a good pump makes all the difference. They are not all created equally unfortunately, and women respond differently to different pumps. I've got lots and lots and lots of experience with breast pumps due to having a premature baby but I'll stop talking now. My point is, it's beneficial to insurance companies for them to offer that benefit.

Back to Aretha Franklin!

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » ACA and You can keep your health insurance Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Regulation to cancel insurance policies wasn't in the ACA?

Started by tuwood
Views: 2455 Posts: 15

2013-11-26 5:47 PM tuwood

The ACA has revealed ignorance about...

Started by pga_mike
Views: 2371 Posts: 23

2013-10-09 9:17 AM Jackemy1

The ACA started with "Conservatives"?

Started by pga_mike
Views: 1738 Posts: 11

2013-10-04 1:26 PM kevin_trapp

ACA fun begins on Oct 1 (mines beginning already) Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tuwood
Views: 9287 Posts: 90

2013-11-10 7:50 AM NXS

ACA Employer Mandate Pushed to 2015

Started by Aarondb4
Views: 1307 Posts: 4

2013-07-08 9:20 AM tuwood
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 24, 2015
author : BradSeng
comments : 0
While running, I've been really struggling to keep my heart rate down in the zone 2-3 range as frequently prescribed in the plan. This seems too slow?

date : May 19, 2010
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Use this redesigned feature of your training logs to keep track of your time and mileage on all of your gear including shoes, bikes, tires, clothes, etc.
date : February 7, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 4
Is it good to listen to music while lap swimming? Are there any devices to help you keep track of your laps?

date : December 17, 2007
author : Diane1961
comments : 2
The Monday after the race, I go to my health club for my first Pilates class in six years. I look like the fittest person here. Fortunately, I don’t mention to anyone that I’m a triathlete.
date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : July 10, 2007
author : mars
comments : 5
The journey of an average Joe entering the triathlon world. I was 35 pounds overweight and out of shape. Enough was enough, and it was time for me to take back my health and my body.

date : September 4, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on leg dragging, swimming with fins, body rotation, keeping the elbow up, kicking benefits and stroke length.