General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First race feedback needed badly Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-07 12:29 PM

User image

Subject: First race feedback needed badly
*Help request at bottom*

Hi,
so long story short I have made up my mind that I want to go to the World championships for age group sprint. I just did my first tri two days ago I had about two months of training time before hand. Before training started I was 197 LBS and by race day I had cut down to 175. I used to be a very good athlete and I am fighting to get that back. I was called old and washed up by a friend and I also have a 100 dollar bet riding on this, so as you know doubt have figured out, my motivation is high hahaha

First Race Breakdown

Overall time: 1:13:04

Placement: In my age (30-34 was 5th out of 7, in my gender (M) I was 11th out of 36

700m pool swim: Time was 12:52 and my swim rank was 19th. I feel I could have gone a bit harder at the end but I also feel my overall fitness needs improvement. My flip turns were sub-par based on what I used to be able to do and I should pick up a second a turn with more practice. I was only able to get in the pool twice in my 2 months of training (my work schedule is nuts). I feel that I should be able to knock about 1:30 off of my pool time with more training.

T1: Time was 45 seconds. It was the 5th or 6th fastest in the race. I got to practice my T1 the night before the race. I feel a have a ok grasp on it (maybe all those days of waking up late helped haha). I put socks on as I have had no time to train going sockless so I can save around 5 to 7 seconds on that. I could also be faster getting to my bike but I had never ran after a swim so maybe cut 2-3 seconds there and I think i could have put my helmet on faster (I was a bit messed up when I got to my rack and I blew 2-3 seconds getting my head screwed back on). so I'm thinking I could cut 10 seconds from my T1 time.

20km bike: Time was 35:56. Bike rank was 14th. I had never been on a road bike or a tri bike before. I was able to put 10km of practice in on my new cannondale slice the day before the race. it was also my first time using clip in pedals (clipless but you still clip in). There were two uphills one of which was long (for me) maybe 1 km and we had to do the loop two times. I lost some time on the first down hill. There was a road sign that said 30km around the corner on the down hill so I slowed down to 45km as I didn't know my bike or the course. On the second time going down I was able to take it at 65km which was near the top of my ability. on the uphill I was in the easiest gear and it was taking a lot out of me to stay in the saddle and when I would stand up on the peddles it felt like I was wasting my effort. There is a lot about my biking that needs improvement. I need to make sure i'm riding up to my pace 100 % of the time as I caught myself slipping in the effort department in the flat right before the climb. There was a good head wind so that might have got to me but i still need to put out during 100% of the bike race. My bike handling skills cost me some time for sure, so that will need lots of work. my gear selection was sub-par at best, but it was getting a bit better by the end of the bike. My climbing sucks and I have no clue what I'm doing when I'm climbing so I will need to work on that a bunch to. I need to spend more time in the saddle period! It didn't help that my aero helmet didn't come in on time, my one piece suit is still MIA and I'm on stock wheels. I wore my old 40 dollar helmet and bike shorts with a orca swim bib. I could feel the swim bib catching air on the down hill and the straits. But i'm sure my gear was the least of my bike problems haha

T2: time was 50 seconds. I didn't have elastic laces and I had a bit of a struggle putting on my already tied up shoes. I think that with some lube and proper laces I could cut 20 seconds off of my time.

5km run: Time was 22:43. Run rank was 19th. I was only able to train for the run for about a month because of a recovering MCL tear. my legs (calfs) were a bit cramped up at the start of the run but i'm sure that has to do with my bike technique and how i'm pedaling. The run was really up and down. I was not expecting it at all. I found myself having to put the breaks on going down the hills and having to work harder then I thought going up them. the only running I got to do before the race was on a treadmill so this was a bit of a shock to the system. I found myself not running 100% at times and I was very slow to speed up if I did at all. At the end of the race I was able to sprint the last 75 meters at full rested pace, and its a good thing I did because I beat somebody by 3 seconds But also lost to someone by 4 seconds. I feel that I left far to much energy out on the run and I should have pushed harder. overall run was very weak and I need a bigger engine and faster pacing. I will be working hard two try and cut at least 3 minutes off of my run time. like in the pool better overall fitness levels should help.

The day after racing my upper calfs have tightened up a lot and I think its due to going from biking to running. Ill have to get that figuered out as it will start cutting into my traing time if i can't train the next day after a race or even two days after.

*PLEASE READ*
I work 12 hour days 10 days on 4 off. I train after work and on my days off. I'm not allowed to run or bike outside at work or after work as I work in northern Canada so no roads and lots of bears. Also I'm saving up money to get some coaching but I just got a massive pay cut at work so money is tight. right now I 'm selling some stuff I don't need so I can get some better wheels and a training watch. I plan to get a coach when my money situation improves.

What I need help with now.

Swim: because of work I will not be able to swim a lot maybe 3 times every two weeks. I need to know what I can do in the gym to help with my swim fitness. I use the arm bike every other day for 2x15min but there must be something else I can do

Bike: At work I have a spin class type bike but i'm not sure what drills I should be doing on it. All I have been doing is warming up then riding hard then cooling down. I have started to do some bricks and I need to fix my peddling so I don't cramp up my calfs but other then that what should I be doing? how the hell do I practice hill climbing on a trainer? would a stair-master help at all?

Run: I need to try and run more off of the treadmill, but at work its all I have. So what drills should I be doing? right now i just run at a 1.5 incline and just try and go fast.

I am willing to put the little free time I have to training but I want to make sure I'm doing it right. If you have any advice please share
Cheers
Darcy Hinds

2015-04-07 12:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: First race feedback needed badly

In order to qualify for Sprint Worlds you will need a 750M swim of about 11 minutes, a 20K bike of 31 minutes, and a 5K that is 19 minutes or under.  The slowest qualifying time in 2013 (a soft year) in the 30-34 AG was 1:07 and some change.  It can be fast.....2014 it was probably 1:05 since the world race is in the states.

You have your work cut out for you......good luck!

Also......save your money.  Between entry, travel, race suit, lodging.....you are likely looking at 2500.00 minimum, probably a bit more.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-04-07 12:59 PM
2015-04-07 1:03 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

I know, but keep in mind that I have been sitting on a couch for the past 7 years and I have only started to train in the last 2 months. I am gunning for a time under 1:05:00 and I don't think its out of reach. I just have to put work in. I have no doubt my body can do it. I have great genetics for this type of sport. I just need to train properly. I would be all ears if you had any training advice :-)
2015-04-07 1:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Swim.....A LOT.   That 700  pool swim time of yours converts to about 15:00 - 16:00 in a mass start open water 750.  You'll be out of the race before you get out of the water.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-04-07 1:24 PM
2015-04-07 1:28 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

Swim.....A LOT.   That 700  pool swim time of yours converts to about 15:00 - 16:00 in a mass start open water 750.  You'll be out of the race before you get out of the water.

I plan to swim 3 out of my 4 days off. When I was a young teen I used to be on a swim time and i broke some city records for Toronto. but that was a long time ago. do you know of anything i can do in the gym aside from the arm-bike to help with my swim?
2015-04-07 1:36 PM
in reply to: #5106523

User image

, North Carolina
You should swim all four days on your days off.

2015-04-07 2:17 PM
in reply to: madprops

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
What is your 5k PR?

2015-04-07 2:58 PM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

Originally posted by Nick B

You should swim all four days on your days off.

That I can do!
I just so happen to love swimming :-)
2015-04-07 3:01 PM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Originally posted by ejshowers

What is your 5k PR?

in the past month I have got it down two 18:45 but I have been getting faster every week so I hope to improve on that. as I said before i'm just at the tail end of a bad MCL tear so I had to hold off on the running so I have only been at it for the past month.
2015-04-07 3:19 PM

User image

, Massachusetts
Do you live at work for those 10 days, or do you go home at the end of the day and train at home?

Either way, I'd invest in a bike trainer, a speed/cadence sensor, and a year-long subscription to Trainer Road. For about $300 all-in you'll probably get the most bang for your buck in terms of improving bike fitness/power.

There are lots of run training plans out there and pretty much any of them can be done on a treadmill. Most will recommend that you shouldn't be running hard every time you run - a couple easy runs each week along with a long run and maybe one tempo or interval workout. There is plenty of info out there on the interwebs.

Swim as much as you can, mostly hard efforts. You'll probably find differing opinions here on the value of weight/resistance training but considering how little you're actually able to swim, I think you'd benefit from upper body work as well as exercises to develop powerful hips/core. Pullups, pushups, shoulder press, resistance band stuff to strengthen and stabilize shoulders and back muscles, power cleans, kettlebell swings, etc. for hips.

Good luck!
2015-04-07 3:29 PM
in reply to: dgconner154

User image

Originally posted by dgconner154

Do you live at work for those 10 days, or do you go home at the end of the day and train at home?

Either way, I'd invest in a bike trainer, a speed/cadence sensor, and a year-long subscription to Trainer Road. For about $300 all-in you'll probably get the most bang for your buck in terms of improving bike fitness/power.

There are lots of run training plans out there and pretty much any of them can be done on a treadmill. Most will recommend that you shouldn't be running hard every time you run - a couple easy runs each week along with a long run and maybe one tempo or interval workout. There is plenty of info out there on the interwebs.

Swim as much as you can, mostly hard efforts. You'll probably find differing opinions here on the value of weight/resistance training but considering how little you're actually able to swim, I think you'd benefit from upper body work as well as exercises to develop powerful hips/core. Pullups, pushups, shoulder press, resistance band stuff to strengthen and stabilize shoulders and back muscles, power cleans, kettlebell swings, etc. for hips.

Good luck!

When I'm at work I live there they have a good gym considering where it is.

http://mseries.keiser.com/computer.html

If you cut and past that link it is the kind of trainer bike we have at work. I will look around for some running work outs and start a regiment of push-up/pull-ups and other back and shoulder stuff tonight.

I have a resistance band in the site office so ill have to look up how to use it best for swimming

Thanks for the input

2015-04-07 6:25 PM

User image

Oakville

To improve on the bike, I agree with the advice above - get a trainer and invest in a cadence sensor so you can take advantage of training with virtual power.

TrainerRoad is excellent but there is a monthly fee.  Personally, I started out using TrainerRoad but about a year ago switched to Golden Cheetah which is a free download.

If you want to start from the basics, take a look at the Power Mentor Group thread from last year:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=507605&posts=1816&page=1

Its 77 pages of posts, but you can skip to each Sunday where there are weekly workouts along with the protocol for periodic testing.  Excellent program to boost your power on the bike.

Also, if you are able to make it to southern Ontario in late June, consider signing up for the Sprint race at the Toronto Triathlon Festival on June 21st.  The TTF is hosting the provincial championship for both the Sprint and Olympic distances and so you'll get an idea of just how fast the competition is.

2015-04-07 10:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Darcy,

Are you in Ft Mac? Or a nearby work camp? Where is home ?

Can you bring your bike in with you? You need a trainer so you can ride your own bike.
2015-04-08 7:42 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
Big picture:

You did your first race with two months training, coming off the couch? First, congrats, and whatever motivates you, good, as long as it doesn't become unhealthy.

If you're just starting out, with consistent training (of almost anything) you should see the weight continue to come down, and performance improve. I saw that over a period of maybe three years. And I was in my mid 40's when I started.

Take a look at the training plans on this site. A big challenge with triathlon is training for three sports at once, and at least with the longer distance training it's a balancing act of fatigue, recovery, and training. And somewhere in there is work and family.

For swimming, it sounds like you have a background in it, so form should be OK. They say swimming speed is something like 80% technique, 20% cardio-fitness. Don't worry about flip turns, as most races are open water. If anything learn bilateral breathing, and get as much open water swimming in as you can, you can shave 10% off your swim time with good sighting (swimming straight to the buoys)

The training plans should have a mix of interval workouts and longer steady workouts for both the bike and run. There should be some speed work for running to get the form better, to get your pace faster.

Transitions; the shorter the race (like sprint) the bigger the factor transitions are. Get used to going sockless on the bike and run. And work on the flying mount with shoes pre-clipped (something I'm still working on)
2015-04-08 12:35 PM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis, MN
I too was planning on trying to qualify for sprint worlds.

That said, the non-draft sprint worlds race has been cancelled and there may be plans to replace it with a draft legal sprint worlds race. Age group nationals is no longer the qualifier race either

Bummed me out and I've officially asked for a refund for the Milwaukee race.
2015-04-08 3:23 PM
in reply to: boostedcvc

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by boostedcvc

That said, the non-draft sprint worlds race has been cancelled and there may be plans to replace it with a draft legal sprint worlds race. Age group nationals is no longer the qualifier race either

The OP should be aware of this

In Canada, there are a few races we can qualify at, and they are non draft races to qualify for draft legal worlds

What the OP should be aware of is that his tri bike probably will not be legal at worlds and there is another expense if he doesn't already have a road bike.

2015-04-08 5:06 PM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Originally posted by Scott71

To improve on the bike, I agree with the advice above - get a trainer and invest in a cadence sensor so you can take advantage of training with virtual power.

TrainerRoad is excellent but there is a monthly fee.  Personally, I started out using TrainerRoad but about a year ago switched to Golden Cheetah which is a free download.

If you want to start from the basics, take a look at the Power Mentor Group thread from last year:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=507605&posts=1816&page=1

Its 77 pages of posts, but you can skip to each Sunday where there are weekly workouts along with the protocol for periodic testing.  Excellent program to boost your power on the bike.

Also, if you are able to make it to southern Ontario in late June, consider signing up for the Sprint race at the Toronto Triathlon Festival on June 21st.  The TTF is hosting the provincial championship for both the Sprint and Olympic distances and so you'll get an idea of just how fast the competition is.

Thanks for the link. I am getting a trainer the next time I am home from work. I would love to come to the Toronto race but I am working during that time.
2015-04-08 5:11 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Originally posted by simpsonbo

Darcy,

Are you in Ft Mac? Or a nearby work camp? Where is home ?

Can you bring your bike in with you? You need a trainer so you can ride your own bike.

I'm up on the Cold Lake Air Weapons Range. I am not able to bring my bike to work with me. I have asked and was told that I couldn't. Ill just have to ride the trainer they have here (it is fully adjustable), and make sure that i set the fit as close to my tri bike as i can.

Home is Vancouver. It used to be medicine hat but I sobered up :-P
2015-04-08 5:14 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Originally posted by marcag

Originally posted by boostedcvc

The OP should be aware of this

In Canada, there are a few races we can qualify at, and they are non draft races to qualify for draft legal worlds

What the OP should be aware of is that his tri bike probably will not be legal at worlds and there is another expense if he doesn't already have a road bike.

I heard about this.... But I didn't think about having to get a new bike. I better start saving now!

On that matter how does one get a draft legal card?
2015-04-08 5:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by madprops

Thanks for the link. I am getting a trainer the next time I am home from work. I would love to come to the Toronto race but I am working during that time.

Ha! Nice of Scott to post that program. Lots of improvements in that group. If you get a trainer, make sure you get one that support virtual power well. Do 3 workouts a week, at home before going to work and your bike will be solid pretty quickly.

You want to go to the qualification race (I think Edmonton) with the most slots. There is one race with 10. I think Sprint is Edmonton and the Oly is Magog in Quebec.

When doing your budget for worlds, also include the rip-off tri canada does making you buy a team uniform. $400 +

Also, double check if you have to be registered with your provincial tri association to be eligible. Not 100% sure, but it's another way to extort some money out of you.

I think the $ hurts more than the training.

For motivation watch this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpiDGvgQ7bs

Ask Bo if he knows the guy at 2m30
2015-04-09 3:11 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by simpsonbo Darcy, Are you in Ft Mac? Or a nearby work camp? Where is home ? Can you bring your bike in with you? You need a trainer so you can ride your own bike.
I'm up on the Cold Lake Air Weapons Range. I am not able to bring my bike to work with me. I have asked and was told that I couldn't. Ill just have to ride the trainer they have here (it is fully adjustable), and make sure that i set the fit as close to my tri bike as i can. Home is Vancouver. It used to be medicine hat but I sobered up :-P

I've been to (and run in) Cold Lake.  I take it you are somewhere away from the town itself as I had no problems finding somewhere to run.  Of course maybe I was surrounded by bears and didn't know it.  

2015-04-09 11:29 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Originally posted by marcag

Ha! Nice of Scott to post that program. Lots of improvements in that group. If you get a trainer, make sure you get one that support virtual power well. Do 3 workouts a week, at home before going to work and your bike will be solid pretty quickly.

You want to go to the qualification race (I think Edmonton) with the most slots. There is one race with 10. I think Sprint is Edmonton and the Oly is Magog in Quebec.

When doing your budget for worlds, also include the rip-off tri canada does making you buy a team uniform. $400 +

Also, double check if you have to be registered with your provincial tri association to be eligible. Not 100% sure, but it's another way to extort some money out of you.

I think the $ hurts more than the training.

For motivation watch this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpiDGvgQ7bs

Ask Bo if he knows the guy at 2m30

Edmonton is the only race I have off that is a qualification race so I will be there. I am already a member of TriBC so that part is taken care of. If in sept I need to pay 400 bucks for a team kit I will do it without hesitation. I know you can possibly get drop down spots for people that don't want to go but to me that wouldn't be the same as earning it (I would still go but it wouldn't feel the same). I am going to go to a Tri on May 3rd and one on may 18th. That should give me a good idea of where I stand with my times. after that Ill put together a better training plan and after that all there is left to do is put out (and all the other stuff i'm forgetting).

Thanks for the video! it looks like a ton of fun! Also it gives me sense of how much fun it would be.
2015-04-09 11:37 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by simpsonbo Darcy, Are you in Ft Mac? Or a nearby work camp? Where is home ? Can you bring your bike in with you? You need a trainer so you can ride your own bike.
I'm up on the Cold Lake Air Weapons Range. I am not able to bring my bike to work with me. I have asked and was told that I couldn't. Ill just have to ride the trainer they have here (it is fully adjustable), and make sure that i set the fit as close to my tri bike as i can. Home is Vancouver. It used to be medicine hat but I sobered up :-P

I've been to (and run in) Cold Lake.  I take it you are somewhere away from the town itself as I had no problems finding somewhere to run.  Of course maybe I was surrounded by bears and didn't know it.  

If I was staying in cold lake that would not be a problem. I'm about 45 min west and 2 hours north on a air force base. biking on the mud roads would not work even if they let me, and they just won't let me do any running outside. I'm also not allowed to bring my bike up and use it on a trainer. If I do make it to worlds they might let bring a bike up but i won't know until I'm that spot.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First race feedback needed badly Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First Race Complete - Requesting feedback

Started by TXTriNewbie
Views: 1102 Posts: 8

2011-04-11 3:51 PM BigDH

First training race of the year (5K), and hopefully the WORST weather

Started by kagoscuba
Views: 851 Posts: 2

2010-03-12 7:04 PM Donskiman

First Season Races - advice needed for newbie

Started by hannahs
Views: 1255 Posts: 10

2006-10-19 4:11 PM enginerd

First Ocean Swim Race-Finished, but need tips

Started by writers2
Views: 862 Posts: 3

2006-07-16 10:31 AM us50090

Ladder Swimming? Need some feedback

Started by Miko
Views: 1746 Posts: 16

2005-03-17 9:10 PM Miko
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
First in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?
date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?

date : September 10, 2007
author : 2x4nomore
comments : 9
Description of one overweight, nervous, beginner triathlete's very first race -- a "Mini" Triathlon.
date : June 11, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 2
So someone convinced you to get off the couch and truck-it to the finish line. Now what? Here's a look at the process from admiring others to inspiring others.

date : January 3, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 8
I’m not going to sugar coat my experience and tell you that it was a piece of cake, but I am going to attempt to give you some advice and useful information that I wish I had before participating.
date : July 2, 2006
author : susietri
comments : 6
Race report for my first sprint triathlon in which I tell the tale of panic and redemption.

date : April 24, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you feel your base work is adequate, then here are five areas I would recommend you can work on before your first race.