General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Carbon bike frame repair... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-07 8:01 PM

Subject: Carbon bike frame repair...
Question for anyone that has had some experience with broken and cracked carbon frames, I wasn't sure what category to post this under but any input would be greatly appreciated. So I finally scraped up enough money to buy my first tri bike, I payed $750 for a 2009 Quintana roo Lucero but I had to have someone pick it up for me, long story short, the top tube has a quarter-sized spot that got smashed and cracked on the way home... Sucks. There are posts and videos online on how to DIY this repair, a carbon repair shop in Portland quoted me $400 and I have talked to a few people who have said not to even try to fix it myself. So... Do I bite the bullet and some how find the money to get it fixed, or take a chance at a carbon fiber repair by myself?

(14284548904501659545417.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
14284548904501659545417.jpg (3369KB - 13 downloads)

2015-04-07 8:12 PM
in reply to: dinomay

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Subject: RE: Carbon bike frame repair...
You can probably patch it. Though I wouldn't do it myself with duct tape.

Get it done by a pro and you may never have to trash the frame.
2015-04-07 8:15 PM
in reply to: louamerica

So is there no way I could do a carbon fiber/apoxy patch that would be reliable? I don't have a tone of money...
2015-04-08 5:49 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
it can definitely be done. I guess the main question is how much material/tools do you have currently to do the repair yourself? If the answer is none/close to none, then you aren't going to save much money doing it yourself vs. having it repaired. Also, without a vacuum system your repair is probably going to look pretty mediocre (at best) if looks matter.

Carbon fiber isn't some magical medium... it doesn't take a genius to work it, but you do need the tools/space/safety equipment/carbon&epoxy to do it right... repairing a bike you plan to race on also isnt' my suggestion for a first timer, but if you do it right(ish) you *probably* won't have any issue.
2015-04-08 8:38 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Don't do that repair yourself. Imagine what would happen to you if your DIY repair fails while you are riding.
2015-04-08 2:36 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I have some experience dealing with epoxy / carbon repairs....but there are a few factors to be considered:
1. materials will probably wind up costing at least $200 (resin, carbon cloth, etc)
2. home type repair will be most likely pretty ugly
3. could be hard to evaluate the repair quality / strength

This particular damage looks very repairable, but to have a good job done on it you'll most likely need to have it done by a reputable repair shop.
Personally I'd decide whether the frame is worth spending money on, and then have it done professionally. Also keep in mind, a repaired frame is not something that people want to buy used, in case you want to sell it later.

For your edification...this series of carbon repair is pretty much what you'd have to do. But getting the materials is not cheap. A quart of marine quality resin & hardener is probably around $100. The carbon cloth around $50. Maybe you can find the materials cheaper.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Repairing-a-Carbon-Fiber-Bicycle-Fr...

2015-04-08 2:47 PM

User image

Originally posted by dinomay

Question for anyone that has had some experience with broken and cracked carbon frames, I wasn't sure what category to post this under but any input would be greatly appreciated. So I finally scraped up enough money to buy my first tri bike, I payed $750 for a 2009 Quintana roo Lucero but I had to have someone pick it up for me, long story short, the top tube has a quarter-sized spot that got smashed and cracked on the way home... Sucks. There are posts and videos online on how to DIY this repair, a carbon repair shop in Portland quoted me $400 and I have talked to a few people who have said not to even try to fix it myself. So... Do I bite the bullet and some how find the money to get it fixed, or take a chance at a carbon fiber repair by myself?

If it were me, I'd probably sell it as is to someone and take that cash + 400 and find me another used bike.
2015-04-08 9:33 PM
in reply to: lyttleviet

That's definitely an idea. Thanks for all the input, iv decided to go with a professional.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Carbon bike frame repair... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

carbon fiber bike repair

Started by lifejustice
Views: 1020 Posts: 3

2012-02-02 12:13 PM jeng

Carbon bike frame

Started by zeroviz
Views: 1034 Posts: 4

2009-01-04 3:23 PM sty

Carbon vs. Aluminum frame bikes and tri lengths

Started by TexOma
Views: 1304 Posts: 5

2007-03-29 7:27 PM JohnnyKay

Using a Carbon Frame Bike on a stationary trainer

Started by jryals
Views: 829 Posts: 2

2007-03-27 3:52 PM D_M_S

Carbon Frame Bikes on Trainers?

Started by KathyG
Views: 1635 Posts: 18

2006-08-25 6:57 AM Daremo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 23, 2010
author : marmadaddy
comments : 1
Should you make the switch from your current aluminum framed bike to a carbon bike frame?

date : January 9, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Does a degree or two difference between two frames(head and/or seat tube) really make that much of a difference when it comes to fit?
date : December 12, 2009
We are often asked the question, "What size frame should I buy" and the answer is “it depends”. I know that’s not the answer you want to hear, but hopefully the following will shed some more light.

date : August 7, 2009
I am in the process of buying my first tri bike. Because of my size my fitter suggested buying a custom frame but then I have an infinite number of choices for components, wheels, aerobars, etc.
date : April 20, 2009
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?

date : April 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 2
Have you been doing all of your bike cleaning, maintenance and repairs by leaning it up against something? Try it again with a dedicated bike repair stand.
date : January 1, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
comments : 2
We will take a peek into the lowly saddlebag to see what needs to be in there in case of emergency. Much of this may be common sense, some might surprise you, and some are simply just my opinion.

date : November 29, 2004
author : Akuma
comments : 3
A bike is NOT a piece of metal with a couple of wheels at either end and a steering thing to stop you running over old ladies. No! ... a bike is a space-age “weapon of mass confusion.”