General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ooops, I signed up for an Ironman. Am I Doomed? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

Ooops, I signed up for an Ironman. Am I Doomed?
OptionResults
It's not possible to reach Ironman level in that time frame.
It will take 25+ hours per week training
It will take 20-24 hours per week
It will take 15-19 hours per week
It will take 10-14 hours per week
It will take 5-9 hours per week
Under 5 hours per week is sufficient
No training is required

2015-05-12 8:39 AM
in reply to: maverickbassets

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Ooops, I signed up for an Ironman. Am I Doomed?

Originally posted by maverickbassets Bruce I see your points and they are good. I still think everyone creates their own challenge. For folks on here to say the op is a danger to others on the course and himself is like assuming most who commented have not finished an Ironman. I think for some the challenge is in completing something you don't think you can accomplish. Not is signing up for things you can. If I had the means to get to IM Nice I would have for sure picked it as my first IM. Who picks the easiest? Sane people I guess. With that in mind the OP did a marathon and has done some biking and some swimming. Sure not in IM format and not at the climbing heights required to finish easily, but maybe that's not the challenge. Few can put in all the training for a great race on the IM course and even more experience unpredictable issues during the race that nothing can prepare you for. I think the OP may be doomed, but unlike the so called IM experts who "race" IM (in 12 hours LOL) I think it can be accomplished. Good luck Mr. OP I hope you can give a bib number and finish the race. Even if you can't trying to is half the battle and you can still purchase a finishers coat or get a tattoo.

you need to work on your reading comprehension bud.  I said I did an ironman in 12 hours, and it WASN'T racing, it was surviving. The implication being that aiming to finish in 16-17 hours would be miserable.  stop misquoting me

2015-05-12 12:35 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

, England
Regarding official results and timings, they are not out yet, only the provisional sent out by email. I am assuming they will be posted in the next day or so, so I can post bib number shortly.

In terms of nutrition, I had two (standard sized?) packs of bassets Jelly Babies for the cycle. I learned from my 100 cycle that I had insufficient fuel for the distance and didn't want to make the same mistake. Additionally I had 6 sisport isotonic gels during the cycle too. I did bring some isotonic drinks with me, but in my early morning disorganization, I left them in the car. This left my water bottles empty until I reached the first water station. Probably for the best that I stuck to water anyway? I felt like I got a lot of food/electrolytes from food/gels.

For the Half marathon, I had 4 sisport isotonic gels, which also felt like it worked okay. I have to trial another type of food though, I can imagine doubling up on what I had would be pretty horrible for the full IM, a bit more of a mix may help.

I think the bike garmin is definitely going to be a good investment, although trying to figure out what speed to do up and down hills is going to take a few calibration rides. Nice doesn't have huge amounts of flat to work with a good average speed I would imagine. I guess a power meter combined with garmin would be the ideal way to maintain a uniform effort, but whether its too late to start thinking power meters, I don't know. I know the watts I can sustain on a gym bike, but I don't know how well that will translate to the real world.

I do have a garmin forerunner 10, which I used for my marathon a few weeks ago. It worked really well for that, so I will be using it for Nice. Unfortunately, I seemed to have misplaced (or lost entirely) my charger for it, which is why I didn't used it on Sunday, it shouldn't be too hard to find a cheap replacement on ebay hopefully. Of course, I could have worn my normal watch, but I was a bit concerned about it digging and pinching, particularly on the bike segment. I think it was probably a good move not to use it.

In terms of putting the wetsuit on the wrong way, I'm sure I am not the first person its happened too. It's only the second time I've worn it and when you are rushing to get ready, its at least a possibility. I would probably have realized moments later as I went to zip it up, but it turns out you can put all your arms and legs in a wetsuit with it the wrong way round. Not a great moment for me.

Riding out the saddle, its hard to know what to say on this. I'm not saying its easier, its just that at the particular point in the race, the muscle groups involved had more left in them. In terms of technique (or lack thereof) it went something like this. Get out of saddle and accelerate up to speed, stop pedaling lean forward and tuck down to conserve the little momentum I had the opportunity to perch on the seat while coasting. To top up the speed, I would get back out off saddle and pedal. Pedaling whilst sitting down wasn't working very well for me at that point.

I'm sure this represents terrible technique, but that point in the race it felt like a reasonably strategy. It's also worth remembering that these weren't big speeds involved, nor was it a heroic burst of pace to the finish line. It just felt like the easiest way to make it back to transition at the time after overcooking it a bit.

I have a few weeks now to get out on the bike and get any new equipment tried and tested if needs be. I'm going to be doing two weeks of taper, on the basis that my recovery time has been generally very good. Or at least, it has felt okay. I think the HIIT bias and generally low training hours has kept the load off my body, perhaps my age is a big help too.
2015-05-12 1:39 PM
in reply to: 5Sigma

User image

Master
Originally posted by 5Sigma

Regarding official results and timings, they are not out yet, only the provisional sent out by email. I am assuming they will be posted in the next day or so, so I can post bib number shortly.

In terms of nutrition, I had two (standard sized?) packs of bassets Jelly Babies for the cycle. I learned from my 100 cycle that I had insufficient fuel for the distance and didn't want to make the same mistake. Additionally I had 6 sisport isotonic gels during the cycle too. I did bring some isotonic drinks with me, but in my early morning disorganization, I left them in the car. This left my water bottles empty until I reached the first water station. Probably for the best that I stuck to water anyway? I felt like I got a lot of food/electrolytes from food/gels.

For the Half marathon, I had 4 sisport isotonic gels, which also felt like it worked okay. I have to trial another type of food though, I can imagine doubling up on what I had would be pretty horrible for the full IM, a bit more of a mix may help.

I think the bike garmin is definitely going to be a good investment, although trying to figure out what speed to do up and down hills is going to take a few calibration rides. Nice doesn't have huge amounts of flat to work with a good average speed I would imagine. I guess a power meter combined with garmin would be the ideal way to maintain a uniform effort, but whether its too late to start thinking power meters, I don't know. I know the watts I can sustain on a gym bike, but I don't know how well that will translate to the real world.

I do have a garmin forerunner 10, which I used for my marathon a few weeks ago. It worked really well for that, so I will be using it for Nice. Unfortunately, I seemed to have misplaced (or lost entirely) my charger for it, which is why I didn't used it on Sunday, it shouldn't be too hard to find a cheap replacement on ebay hopefully. Of course, I could have worn my normal watch, but I was a bit concerned about it digging and pinching, particularly on the bike segment. I think it was probably a good move not to use it.

In terms of putting the wetsuit on the wrong way, I'm sure I am not the first person its happened too. It's only the second time I've worn it and when you are rushing to get ready, its at least a possibility. I would probably have realized moments later as I went to zip it up, but it turns out you can put all your arms and legs in a wetsuit with it the wrong way round. Not a great moment for me.

Riding out the saddle, its hard to know what to say on this. I'm not saying its easier, its just that at the particular point in the race, the muscle groups involved had more left in them. In terms of technique (or lack thereof) it went something like this. Get out of saddle and accelerate up to speed, stop pedaling lean forward and tuck down to conserve the little momentum I had the opportunity to perch on the seat while coasting. To top up the speed, I would get back out off saddle and pedal. Pedaling whilst sitting down wasn't working very well for me at that point.

I'm sure this represents terrible technique, but that point in the race it felt like a reasonably strategy. It's also worth remembering that these weren't big speeds involved, nor was it a heroic burst of pace to the finish line. It just felt like the easiest way to make it back to transition at the time after overcooking it a bit.

I have a few weeks now to get out on the bike and get any new equipment tried and tested if needs be. I'm going to be doing two weeks of taper, on the basis that my recovery time has been generally very good. Or at least, it has felt okay. I think the HIIT bias and generally low training hours has kept the load off my body, perhaps my age is a big help too.

Agree with others. This is a fraud.

Post the race name at a minimum. Bib and name.
2015-05-12 3:57 PM
in reply to: trisuppo

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I think OP has jumped the shark.

2015-05-12 4:05 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by trijamie

Hang on now I'm a little confused. Are you talking about doing the Ironman this year? Have you already been training for 8 months? What has your training been like up until now?

[getting popcorn.....]

Pass me some of that corn will ya?

2015-05-12 7:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by 5Sigma

Translation: "I can't post my bib number yet, because I need to wait for the results to post so I can find some random person with the time splits I claimed to have, then say those are mine."

Edited by 3mar 2015-05-12 7:35 PM

2015-05-12 9:50 PM
in reply to: 3mar

I'm going that have to go "legit" on this.

My guess on the race is the Monster Mojo.

This is the link to the results:

http://monsterracing.net/resultsmojo2015.html

The 6:23 finishing time is a male age 25-29, and this individual is on the registration list for IM Nice.

Game on!!!
2015-05-12 11:00 PM
in reply to: ImSore

User image

Originally posted by ImSore I'm going that have to go "legit" on this. My guess on the race is the Monster Mojo. This is the link to the results: http://monsterracing.net/resultsmojo2015.htmlThe 6:23 finishing time is a male age 25-29, and this individual is on the registration list for IM Nice. Game on!!!

Guaranteed you have the right race and right person.  

That swim is exactly what he said (shallow rowing lake) and that run is exactly what he said it was (4 x 5km loops).

But most importantly all 5 of those splits are exactly what he said he did.  So ya definitely legit.

2015-05-13 12:28 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Originally posted by popsracer

How did I make it through life without ever encountering this phrase?  I probably even saw the episode, though I don't recall it.

2015-05-13 5:48 AM
in reply to: Chillin

User image

Originally posted by Chillin

Originally posted by ImSore I'm going that have to go "legit" on this. My guess on the race is the Monster Mojo. This is the link to the results: http://monsterracing.net/resultsmojo2015.htmlThe 6:23 finishing time is a male age 25-29, and this individual is on the registration list for IM Nice. Game on!!!

That swim is exactly what he said (shallow rowing lake) and that run is exactly what he said it was (4 x 5km loops).

But most importantly all 5 of those splits are exactly what he said he did.  So ya definitely legit.

I'm going to agree that he is for real. I'll eat my words if wrong, won't be the first time. The OP pm'd me before this thread. If this is a trolling effort then he went all out.
2015-05-13 8:24 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Master
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

I'm going to agree that he is for real. I'll eat my words if wrong, won't be the first time. The OP pm'd me before this thread. If this is a trolling effort then he went all out.

I stand corrected.

2015-05-13 9:49 AM
in reply to: trisuppo

User image

Elite

Ok then!  Bring on Nice!

2015-05-13 10:18 AM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

The sub 2 hour half marathon is the most impressive part, at least I think so. This gent may have the goods to finish Nice

2015-05-13 10:37 AM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

The sub 2 hour half marathon is the most impressive part, at least I think so. This gent may have the goods to finish Nice

He's still a dangerously incompetent fool. For real.

2015-05-13 12:37 PM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

Originally posted by SevenZulu

Originally posted by popsracer

How did I make it through life without ever encountering this phrase?  I probably even saw the episode, though I don't recall it.

The episode was even set in sunny southern CA. It is a great phrase.
2015-05-13 1:56 PM
in reply to: ImSore

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by ImSore

I'm going that have to go "legit" on this.

My guess on the race is the Monster Mojo.

This is the link to the results:

http://monsterracing.net/resultsmojo2015.html

The 6:23 finishing time is a male age 25-29, and this individual is on the registration list for IM Nice.

Game on!!!

I am impressed ! Good job Stephen. Looks like the bike was probably the weakest leg, and you know that.
You survived the swim fine, and nice run.

Keep working on the weak spots until Nice.

2015-05-13 2:01 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by brucemorgan

He's still a dangerously incompetent fool. For real.

There's a fine line between being a fool and a hero, and the OP could be teetering on that line.  Pretty sure many people thought the original 15 were crazy fools.  But I have no idea why you deem him dangerously incompetent.

X

2015-05-13 2:33 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by trisuppo

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

I stand corrected.

I suppose I do too.

But still, I can't get over the whole "I will post a bib number shortly" (paraphrasing) thing...what sort of preparation does it take? Just look at your bib, or your email, or whatever, how does that take preparation and time to complete? That was the sticking point I had to believe it. That's just weird. Oh well. Now that we know who he is, we can at least see what happens at Nice.

Edited by 3mar 2015-05-13 2:34 PM
2015-05-13 2:41 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

, England
As a has already been identified, the race was the Monster Mojo and I was No. 80.

I would like to thank those for their support thus far , it really has helped me. Also even for the less positive responses, understanding where I am likely to fail gives me insight into what to risks to mitigate so thank you also. This includes drowning on the swim and crashing on the bike.

In terms of being a dangerously incompetent fool. I wouldn't go that far. I think it would be fair to say that I have been typically poorly prepared in terms of race day organisation, although not dangerously. I would also say that I am lacking a bit in experience in some areas, but not to a degree that I am particularly unsafe. In terms of training, I am not where I would Ideally like to be, but I am now at level of fitness that at least gives me a reasonable shot of completion.

As many are saying, my biking leaves a lot to be desired and represents my biggest risk to completion, as such, it should be my focus for the 32 days of training I have left.
2015-05-13 2:42 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Originally posted by 3marI suppose I do too. But still, I can't get over the whole "I will post a bib number shortly" (paraphrasing) thing...what sort of preparation does it take? Just look at your bib, or your email, or whatever, how does that take preparation and time to complete? That was the sticking point I had to believe it. That's just weird. Oh well. Now that we know who he is, we can at least see what happens at Nice.

The only thing I found weird was the whole "give me your personal information or you are a liar" (paraphrasing) thing.  What's so hard about just believing him?  Who cares if he's lying or not?  It's just the Internet.  Sometimes people take this stuff way too seriously.

2015-05-13 2:55 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by 3marI suppose I do too. But still, I can't get over the whole "I will post a bib number shortly" (paraphrasing) thing...what sort of preparation does it take? Just look at your bib, or your email, or whatever, how does that take preparation and time to complete? That was the sticking point I had to believe it. That's just weird. Oh well. Now that we know who he is, we can at least see what happens at Nice.

The only thing I found weird was the whole "give me your personal information or you are a liar" (paraphrasing) thing.  What's so hard about just believing him?  Who cares if he's lying or not?  It's just the Internet.  Sometimes people take this stuff way too seriously.

I never asked the dude for his personal information, nor would I. I was just noting where his response sounded odd, leading me to believe that he was pulling our collective legs. However, if he had said, "I don't want to give out personal information" that would have not made it sound weird. Some of his story was a bit out there and this is the internet where there are a lot of people that really enjoy spinning stories for others to believe.

2015-05-13 8:06 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by 5Sigma In terms of training, I am not where I would Ideally like to be, but I am now at level of fitness that at least gives me a reasonable shot of completion. As many are saying, my biking leaves a lot to be desired and represents my biggest risk to completion, as such, it should be my focus for the 32 days of training I have left.

Let's run the numbers and see if you have the fitness. I dropped the results into Excel and did some sorting. There's a couple errors in the numbers (one guy's bike attributed to his T2 time, that sort of thing) which I dropped out to clean the numbers.

Overall: You finished 85th of 89 finishers. Congrats on the finish! You clearly have determination and mental fortitude to spare.

Swim: 72 of 89. You did 46:37, average was 40:33.  Back of the pack, but not too far off the average. However you had 1/20th the number of swimmers as you will find in IM Nice and the Mediterranean Sea is not a 4' deep lake described as "superb" on the race website. Given this performance, I think you'll be in OK in Nice if you stay at the back of the pack, stay out of the scrum, and the weather cooperates. My prediction for your IM time: 1:35 to 1:45 swim.

Bike: 86 of 89.  You did 3:29, the average was 2:47. Ouch. There wasn't a big spread on the bike, and you were most definitely the far back of the pack. And you were riding a non-challenging course described as "3 fast loops" on the race website. This performance says you're clearly in danger of not making the cutoffs. My prediction for IM: 9:00 to DNF bike. It's the Alps, after all.

Run: 69 of 89 . You did 1:57, the average was 1:46. Back of pack again, but not terribly much so. IM Nice does have a flat fast run, probably comparable to this race but of course longer. If you get to the run without enough time left before cut-offs, you can make it.  My prediction for IM: 5:30 to 6:30 run, if you can get to it.

Adding up my predictions: at best, about 15:05.  At worst, you DNF on the bike or the run course due to time limits. You only have 16 hours at IM France.

I couldn't find an Excel or PDF format of the full IM France 2014 results to calculate averages do a "if you're off the average as much in IM France as you were in this race, what are those numbers" type of comparison.  But I did look up the M25-29 category and ran some numbers. If you can do a 1:35, a 9 hour bike, and 5 hour run and are fast enough in transition, you'll make it .  That's what the last guy in that age group did in 2014.

Sometimes there's a really fine line between determination and foolishness. On race day please try to recognize the difference and stay safe for yourself and others.

EDIT: And jeez, man, get it together! Backwards wetsuit, forgot your gels in the car, lost the charger to your Garmin? You have enough problems ahead of you without that kind of derpy derp in your way.  Get a checklist together (there are many, I can PM you mine). Do each long ride as a race day simulation. You have your Garmin, it's charged. You have your food on-board the bike. You eat your gels the same time you'll eat them during IM. Practice doing the right things and they become second nature.

Edited by brucemorgan 2015-05-13 8:27 PM
2015-05-17 1:46 AM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Tallinn, Estonia
What a topic !!! Good job on the HIM btw and Bruce pretty much summed it up and if you get it together, you´ll fnish the race.
2015-05-20 2:40 PM
in reply to: Andrep

User image

, England
Thanks for the offer Bruce, I have made a list of all the things that went wrong and made a plan to mitigate them, checklists etc. Hopefully I am covered on that front. I'm getting to Nice a good few days early so I can get well prepared, and perhaps get in the sea for some gentle swimming.

I've been focusing on improving my bike FTP/kg since the HIM. I gave myself 33 days post HIM to work on improving it prior to beginning taper (14/06/2015). I'm targeting an improvement of 0.63W/kg, but I'm not sure if that is actually achievable. Starting from a 2.54 (I took 3 days prior to HIM and used as my baseline), I am looking to get to 3.17. On 15/05/2015 I managed a 2.66 (0.09 improvement), but the improvement might be as a result of me improving my 20 minute test technique.

Are there any rules of thumb when it comes to using FTP/kg as your primary performance metric? I felt a power to weight metric would be a good one for Nice, considering all that climbing. Even if I don't reach my target, a small % improvement could make all the difference for the bike cut-off time.

---

In terms of events, I had last weekend off, but this weekend (or bank holiday Monday rather) is my 10km open water swim. I don't feel super prepared for it, so I am going to take it easy. It's a 2.5km loop so that target is to at least do 2 laps. If it feels unachievable I will call it a day at the half way point. That is assuming I make the time cut-off; I need to make the 10km mark in 4:30.00 which is just about achievable if I manage my HIM swim pace over the 10km.

It's going to be hard, but I am looking forward to it.
2015-05-20 3:06 PM
in reply to: 5Sigma

User image

At this point, don't sweat the details of your actual training that much.  Whatever fitness improvements you make in the next few weeks...it is what it is.  Focus on the other aspects such as pacing and nutrition.  It won't matter if you show up on race day with X% more fitness if you go out too hard or get your nutrition wrong.

Do you have a plan for what you will wear on race day?  Are you going to do a full change after the swim and after the bike?  Make sure you get these details squared away now because race day is not the time to be experimenting.  Being as comfortable as possible, and knowing you are going to be in clothing that doesn't chafe will become very important during a 14+ hour day.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ooops, I signed up for an Ironman. Am I Doomed? Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

Signing up for Ironman Wisconsin 2010 Pages: 1 2

Started by MikeR
Views: 9577 Posts: 27

2010-01-29 7:45 AM FurnaceM3

2008 Ironman Sign Ups

Started by jbillfsu
Views: 1845 Posts: 11

2007-02-24 9:57 AM KSH

I signed up for my first triathlon................any good advice.............I am looking at the 16

Started by newadventures
Views: 1352 Posts: 9

2006-06-08 7:59 PM newadventures

PowerBar signs on as sponsor of Ironman North America events

Started by PGoldberger
Views: 1201 Posts: 6

2005-01-28 3:00 PM scuba-punk

Ironman Arizona - I signed up!

Started by Tiger Phil
Views: 1136 Posts: 16

2004-06-25 10:49 AM JayC
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 19, 2013
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Step-Up exercise instruction with pictures and video

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : February 7, 2007
author : browncd
comments : 0
Twenty years after signing up for my first triathlon, I finally made it...but just in time!