General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ooops, I signed up for an Ironman. Am I Doomed? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

Ooops, I signed up for an Ironman. Am I Doomed?
OptionResults
It's not possible to reach Ironman level in that time frame.
It will take 25+ hours per week training
It will take 20-24 hours per week
It will take 15-19 hours per week
It will take 10-14 hours per week
It will take 5-9 hours per week
Under 5 hours per week is sufficient
No training is required

2015-06-18 7:26 AM
in reply to: #5119686

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Ooops, I signed up for an Ironman. Am I Doomed?
Properly taper before your IM . I'm not positive what that entails, but I know it will make a huge difference!

2015-06-23 3:50 AM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

Best of luck! Standing by for the race report and pics!
2015-06-24 11:04 AM
in reply to: SSauce

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Looks like the race is just a few days away. Any update on how you're feelin?

2015-06-27 4:44 AM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Bib # ? I'd like to follow along on this one. Good luck 5sigma !
2015-06-27 6:02 AM
in reply to: #5123287

User image

Franklin, TN
His bib # is 667. Stephen Pankhurst.

I'll be following him and 4 guys I know from Nashville that made the trip over there.
2015-06-27 2:11 PM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Excellent thanks

2015-06-28 2:15 AM
in reply to: #5125170

User image

Groningen, Netherlands
He's done with the swim! 1:35. Godspeed Stephen!
2015-06-28 11:43 AM
in reply to: #5125280

User image

Franklin, TN
It's showing he DNF'd. Looks like he stopped about 60 miles into the bike...hope it wasn't a crash.
2015-06-28 7:23 PM

User image

I hope he didn't go down
2015-06-28 8:38 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

That's around the mile marker of one of the bike cutoffs, isn't? I presume they just didn't let him continue.

2015-06-28 8:45 PM
in reply to: #5125316

User image

Franklin, TN
I had 2 out of the 4 people I know from Nashville DNF. Looks like they ran out of time on the run course. That bike segment takes it's toll on the athletes.

2015-06-29 5:40 AM

User image

, England
Hello all,

Unfortunately I didn't finish the race, I ran out of time on the bike course. I made the 110km cut-off by 3pm, but at 115km there were marshals bringing cones in and what looked like closing the course. At this point I called it a day, without the marshals I would likely get lost out in the mountains. It's a shame because I was on the verge of the main decent, 25km of almost exclusively downhill and based off the previous descents it would have been great fun. The run transition would have closed by the time I had got back though anyway.

The bike course was amazing, really amazing. Unfortunately it was slightly too brutal for me. The climb 50-70km just took too much out of me, and temperatures were pretty high at that point. As many suspected, the lack of training and/or tough course was my undoing yesterday. I don't regret it though, I really enjoyed it, and will definitely be doing it again... although better prepared. The good thing about being slow is that there is plenty of room for improvement.

At least the swim went quite well, swimming in the sea was a little different and there were more swimmers around than I am used to. I only got hit once though, because I swam out to the side of the course. It was a pretty uneventful swim, which is what I was hoping for.

2015-06-29 7:01 AM
in reply to: 5Sigma

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

So what did you learn, overall, from this months-long experience that ended in DNF? And what's next?

2015-06-29 1:11 PM

User image

New user

Impressive nonetheless 5Sigma.

I've been following this thread for a while now. You got a lot of hate, which was disappointing. But keep at it.

To me, having the guts to get out there and giving it your best despite not doing a huge amount of training is all the more impressive.
2015-06-29 3:03 PM
in reply to: Solipsia

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I find actually training for an event impressive, anyone can sign up.

If you want help, we'll all be here when you want to train for the next IM.

2015-06-29 7:41 PM

User image

Glad to see you enjoyed the race even if you DNF'd. Will you be signing up for another race? I am sure you can finish if you put in some time.

2015-06-30 11:20 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by dmiller5

Really?  I agree that signing up is easy, it's just a credit card. Any bozo can click buttons on a webpage and enter numbers off their card.

I think doing some half-baked training like our OP is also easy. It's easy to do what's convenient in your life, make minimal work/life/family sacrifices, then show up race day under trained and ill-prepared, "give it your best try", and DNF.  I'm not impressed.

Over the last multiple years on BT I've read and admired the efforts and sacrifices many people have made in their lives to train, whether or not they finished.  Story after story of personal sacrifices, hard compromises, tough training days and difficult choices. I find that impressive.  Our intrepid OP?  Well, he didn't want to make any of those so he was just trying to get by.  My first reply said he wouldn't make it past mile 50 n the bike, and he made it to mile 60.  An impressive performance?  No, it wasn't. 

I am glad he didn't hurt himself or others, I'm happy to be wrong about that.

2015-07-01 8:18 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
Originally posted by brucemorgan

Really?  I agree that signing up is easy, it's just a credit card. Any bozo can click buttons on a webpage and enter numbers off their card.

I think doing some half-baked training like our OP is also easy. It's easy to do what's convenient in your life, make minimal work/life/family sacrifices, then show up race day under trained and ill-prepared, "give it your best try", and DNF.  I'm not impressed.

Over the last multiple years on BT I've read and admired the efforts and sacrifices many people have made in their lives to train, whether or not they finished.  Story after story of personal sacrifices, hard compromises, tough training days and difficult choices. I find that impressive.  Our intrepid OP?  Well, he didn't want to make any of those so he was just trying to get by.  My first reply said he wouldn't make it past mile 50 n the bike, and he made it to mile 60.  An impressive performance?  No, it wasn't. 

Thanks to Bruce for saying what a lot of us have been thinking. I've watched this thread with interest - basically felt we were being trolled all along. There is a fine line between courage and foolishness - and attempting any IM distance without proper preparation is foolish. I have incredible respect for those that trained, prepared, executed and adjusted their plans based on conditions like those at CDA this weekend - including those that DNF'd. THAT is impressive. No love here for people who start with no preparation or plan. I do hope the OP will get dedicated, organized, get a plan and make the commitment to preparation for the distance before/if he tries again.

Just my $0.02.
2015-07-01 11:24 AM
in reply to: exnavydoc

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by exnavydoc

Originally posted by brucemorgan

Thanks to Bruce for saying what a lot of us have been thinking. I've watched this thread with interest - basically felt we were being trolled all along. There is a fine line between courage and foolishness - and attempting any IM distance without proper preparation is foolish. I have incredible respect for those that trained, prepared, executed and adjusted their plans based on conditions like those at CDA this weekend - including those that DNF'd. THAT is impressive. No love here for people who start with no preparation or plan. I do hope the OP will get dedicated, organized, get a plan and make the commitment to preparation for the distance before/if he tries again.

Just my $0.02.

Yup. The overall feeling I got from the OP was he didn't respect that distance and race he signed up for and thought he would wing it doing whatever he could do which wasn't enough. As I saw this thread develop the past few months, each time I saw the subject line, I thought to answer, "Yes, you are doomed to DNF."

You can't wing a 140.6 mile race the way this person did... I'm not impressed either.
2015-07-01 11:48 AM
in reply to: kloofyroland

User image

Veteran
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by kloofyroland

Yup. The overall feeling I got from the OP was he didn't respect that distance and race he signed up for and thought he would wing it doing whatever he could do which wasn't enough. As I saw this thread develop the past few months, each time I saw the subject line, I thought to answer, "Yes, you are doomed to DNF."

You can't wing a 140.6 mile race the way this person did... I'm not impressed either.

Yea this. I tend to stay out of this sort of discussion but this is my feeling here as well. 140.6 is not something to screw around with. You can't just wing it and expect to even just finish. I know plenty of people who beat themselves senseless training for one and still couldn't finish it. Half-assing the training is not going to get you anywhere and I can't really hold much respect for it.
2015-07-01 12:46 PM
in reply to: noofus

User image

Master
Originally posted by noofus

Yea this. I tend to stay out of this sort of discussion but this is my feeling here as well. 140.6 is not something to screw around with. You can't just wing it and expect to even just finish. I know plenty of people who beat themselves senseless training for one and still couldn't finish it. Half-assing the training is not going to get you anywhere and I can't really hold much respect for it.

Yes - I would agree with the last few posts. And this isn't "Hate" as was alluded in a post a half dozen up. We all need tough love sometimes. I think most of the comments were honest about the fact that he was a danger to himself and other competitors. Why do the race isn't you aren't going to respect it?

2015-07-01 1:09 PM
in reply to: trisuppo

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by trisuppo I think most of the comments were honest about the fact that he was a danger to himself and other competitors. Why do the race isn't you aren't going to respect it?

I don't understand why people assume the OP was a danger to himself and others for attempting this.  Foolish?  Probably.  But a danger? Dangerous would be climbing a mountain unprepared where you risk your life and may put others at risk who are pressed to try to help you.  Doing a supported IM when you have the ability to swim and ride a bike don't seem to come close to being especially dangerous in any material way.

I don't think the OP deserves any special respect for attempting something crazy with inadequate preparation.  But I find some of the derision to be at least somewhat misplaced.  Who's to say he didn't respect the race.  He clearly understood there was a good chance he wasn't going to finish.  He understood he faced an uphill climb (pun intended).  He decided to see if he could get through it anyway.  Probably foolish, but he doesn't seem to have any regrets and would like to try it again better prepared.

2015-07-01 1:23 PM
in reply to: noofus

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by noofus

Yes I agree.

Now that its over I hope that the OP has learned a respect for not only an Ironman, but anything else he does in life. Just because others have done it does not mean it is easy or you can do just jump into it. Most things in life require work and knowledge to succeed at. Learn and move on.
2015-07-01 1:48 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Originally posted by trisuppo I think most of the comments were honest about the fact that he was a danger to himself and other competitors. Why do the race isn't you aren't going to respect it?

I don't understand why people assume the OP was a danger to himself and others for attempting this.  Foolish?  Probably.  But a danger? Dangerous would be climbing a mountain unprepared where you risk your life and may put others at risk who are pressed to try to help you.  Doing a supported IM when you have the ability to swim and ride a bike don't seem to come close to being especially dangerous in any material way.

I don't think the OP deserves any special respect for attempting something crazy with inadequate preparation.  But I find some of the derision to be at least somewhat misplaced.  Who's to say he didn't respect the race.  He clearly understood there was a good chance he wasn't going to finish.  He understood he faced an uphill climb (pun intended).  He decided to see if he could get through it anyway.  Probably foolish, but he doesn't seem to have any regrets and would like to try it again better prepared.

x2  It's no wonder some people think triathletes are full of themselves.  The guy tried...he came up short.  He had fun in the process.  Other than that...who cares?

2015-07-01 3:43 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

It can still be kinda dangerous in the french alps on a bicycle.....

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ooops, I signed up for an Ironman. Am I Doomed? Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

Signing up for Ironman Wisconsin 2010 Pages: 1 2

Started by MikeR
Views: 9574 Posts: 27

2010-01-29 7:45 AM FurnaceM3

2008 Ironman Sign Ups

Started by jbillfsu
Views: 1841 Posts: 11

2007-02-24 9:57 AM KSH

I signed up for my first triathlon................any good advice.............I am looking at the 16

Started by newadventures
Views: 1344 Posts: 9

2006-06-08 7:59 PM newadventures

PowerBar signs on as sponsor of Ironman North America events

Started by PGoldberger
Views: 1198 Posts: 6

2005-01-28 3:00 PM scuba-punk

Ironman Arizona - I signed up!

Started by Tiger Phil
Views: 1136 Posts: 16

2004-06-25 10:49 AM JayC
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 19, 2013
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Step-Up exercise instruction with pictures and video

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : February 7, 2007
author : browncd
comments : 0
Twenty years after signing up for my first triathlon, I finally made it...but just in time!