General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is anyone a tennis player as well as a triathlete? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-25 4:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Budapest, Pest Megye
Subject: Is anyone a tennis player as well as a triathlete?
Hey all!
I'm a pretty good tennis player and I just started training for tris (about 3 months ago.) I was wondering if there were other people on here that have to juggle between finding time to play tennis and train for tris and how they do it. I'm a 5.5 level tennis player and I find it hard to combine the two. Ideally I would like to be able to compete in tennis and tris at the same time. Is that even doable??

Thanks for your answers.
Sylvain

2006-08-25 6:46 PM
in reply to: #522488

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Is anyone a tennis player as well as a triathlete?
I used to play tennis seriously in high school, although I was never any good at it. My son has discovered tennis now, so we joined the tennis club. So far it is not very serious tennis, so there is really no time pressure.

Good luck though - juggling three sports is bad enough - four is really tough.

D
2006-08-25 6:57 PM

User image

Pro
MA

I played tennis since I was a kid. 

Before starting to tri, I joined my company's "tennis league" and played an 2-3 times a week.  Sort of stopped playing now.  Wasn't really serious in the first place.  People at work didn't want to play with me coz I suck. 

2006-08-25 10:30 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, CA

I've never been too serious about Tennis - this is, until my son started playing a couple of years ago.  Now we are both very evenly matched (yea, I know, he's only twelve) and we really enjoy playing.  Only downside is I like to workout in the morning, and get home around 10:00 on weekends - just when he has gotten up, had breakfast, and is ready to go play.   I found that I can still play up to around a 15 mile run, after that I forfeit, and agree to play another day.  The worst is when he hits me up after a brick, like last weekend - did a 54 mile hill bike ride, then a 5 mile run - and he wants to play afterwards.  I played, but warned him before hand that I was not going to move - so he if he didn't hit it to me I just let it go - and he killed me every set!!!

I don't think I have any answers for you - but good luck!!! 

Dennis

2006-08-25 10:35 PM
in reply to: #522653

User image

Extreme Veteran
Geneva, Illinois
I played tennis in HS and college (intramurals in college.) I love it! I still have a killer forehand,but the crapiest, weakest backhand ever!
2006-08-26 3:24 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
5.5? Isn't that like regionally/nationally ranked level of competition? That's got to be a fairly demanding practice schedule. .I never played higher than 4.0 and that was with 3-4 nights a week of practice plus coaching before weekend matches(Obviously, I sucked). . To be as good at tri as you are tennis would take some juggling, I think, but if you are committed, I don't see why it couldn't be done. Long course training - 1/2IM and IM - is going to suck the fast twitch fibers in your muscles right out, though, and you would start to see some heretofore returnable serves blow right past you eventually.

2006-08-26 12:38 PM

User image

Veteran
I used to be a 4.5-5.0 level tennis player. Notice I said "used to be". That's because I've pretty much given it up completely since I got serious about the tri thing. To be competitive at triathlon really takes training 6-7 days per week with multiple training sessions on some days. By competitive, I mean attempting to approach the same level as a 5.5 tennis player (off the top of my head I'd put this at about 2-2:05 for an Oly and maybe 4:30 or so for a HIM).

So, can you participate in tris and still be a competitive tennis player? Yes. Can you even come close to approaching a level in tri that you have attained in tennis? Probably not without putting your game on hold for a couple of years.

All that being said, I have not once regretted giving up tennis. The racquets are still in the basement if I ever want to get back into it.

2006-08-26 2:37 PM
in reply to: #522842

Regular
Jackson, MS

I was a 4.5-5.0 level player too. The times I have played in the last couple of years (also, the time I've spent training for triathlons), I've noticed I've lost a lot of quickness.

I've put tennis on the back-burner for a while to focus on improving in tris. Doublej has a good analogy about a triathlete's level of competiveness vs tennis level. I feel like I'm a 3.0-3.5 level of triathlete.

2006-08-26 3:23 PM

Regular

I played tennis 3-4 x per week until I started training for tri's.  I have to admit, I've found it hard to train AND play, especially since tennis takes so dag-gone long!  I am now just playing seriously (USTA, Lunch League for fun) in the Fall and Spring when my husband's at work and my kids are in school and play when I want in the Summer and Winter, so my training/playing time is minimal. 

Make sure you have REALLY GOOD running shoes.  I try to swim or bike on the days I have a match because I got really whooped when I ran and had a match on the same day. 

Good luck w/ your tri training and tennis, and most of all, HAVE FUN! 

2006-08-26 4:35 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
My husband used to be a 6.0, semi-pro, nationally ranked tennis player. Right now he's teaching me tennis, and we're training for tri's together. He is very very bad at endurance. He is all fast twitch muscle, and is finding triathlon training difficult. He doesn't believe the two sports really combine properly, because of the fact that the muscle and training requirements are total opposites. That doesn't mean you can't compete at both, you just can't win at both on a more than "very amateur" level, he says. Pick one that you like more, and make that your good one. Continue the other one, because it will balance your training, but keep it light.

Now for my comment. I have only just begun tri training. I only run right now, haven't built up to bike and swim. I play tennis two to three times a week. I run/walk three times a week, and I lift weights for maybe an hour a week. I do it because I love it, but it takes a lot of time. When I start adding in the time in the saddle and in the pool, I know I can look forward to even less free time. Again, I do this because I really love how it makes me feel. I am an obsessive chart maker and scheduler: I have my workouts planned till next summer! I do not plan on being competitive in triathlon for a couple years, and I am a level 2.0 tennis player.

Good luck, plan hard, and have fun.
2006-08-26 7:29 PM

User image

Master
Tampa, Fl
I know Betsy plays tennis, i'm just nto sure how seriously. I just love watching women play tennis.

2006-08-28 1:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ

I'm still a young 30 year old guy that used to play 3.5 tennis.  The biggest problem I've faced with mixing the two sports is speed.  I now watch balls go by me and think in my head (like people in their 40's-50's say) I could have had that ball a few years back.  My ability to two-step and change direction has gone to hell.  My tennis game used to be all about serve and volley to the net but now when I try that I get passed all day long.

If you want to be good at the Tri's and Tennis I would suggest making sure your style of tennis play is all about ball placement/control.  I've seen some of the worst 5.5 sloppy playing but the player knew what type of spin to use with percise placement and they would always win.  So if you can imagine your game looking like one of those old timers that have the funkiest looking hits but nail the perfect shot 95% of the time, you should be able to keep your tennis game intact while working on your Tri's.

2006-08-28 1:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ
P.S.  As a side note, I can now play 10 sets in a tourny without skipping a beat where as when I only played Tennis I had maybe 4-5 good sets in me.  The first thing to lgo now is not my leg endurance but my arm strength (pace on ball).
2006-08-28 8:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Budapest, Pest Megye
The good thing is that I play tennis like an old man so the fact that I'm gonna get slower is not really a big problem. I like to make my opponents run and I don't run that much myself. I have a killer drop shot and lob combination!

My goal is not to be as good of a triathlete as I am a tennis player but to have fun and be the best that I can be at triathlon. I know I will never be a '5.5' triathlete. I'm not a good enough athlete to achieve that. In tennis you can 'cheat' somehow and play better than your physical abilities would allow by having a good tactical sense and good technique. In triathlon you can have a great technique for running, biking or swimming but if you're not fast that will get you nowhere. Am I wrong?

The point is to just have fun. I think I can become an even better tennis player by having the triathlete's stamina. I played a practice match with a guy that beat me recently and this time he was huffing and puffing and had to retire in the third set when I could have played 3 more sets without breaking a sweat! =)
2006-08-28 10:55 AM

My BF is a tennis player and a triathlete, but he only plays once or twice a week so his training is scheduled around that.

I play volleyball twice a week, ride horses (once or twice a week), and do triathlons. On days that I have a volleyball game or riding lesson, I usually swim or do a light run in the morning before work (or sometimes, nothing at all). Because of the extra sport training, I tend to do less swim/bike/run training than other triathletes might, but it's still a workout and beneficial to my overall fitness level. During the week it's easier to squeeze in an extra workout in the morning, but it's much more difficult when I have a volleyball tournament or horse show on the weekend. There have been times when I've taken the entire weekend off after playing in a tournament which results in me playing 10-15 matches!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is anyone a tennis player as well as a triathlete? Rss Feed