General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pretty proud, though some of you will chuckle...don't care Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-27 4:32 PM

Subject: Pretty proud, though some of you will chuckle...don't care
9 miles at a very consistent 8:35 minute pace.
Legs weren't grouchy at all the next day. They weren't hesitating to remind me that I'd gone over 8 for only the 4th time and at a fairly good clip for me. But nothing that stopped me from my second longest ride since last fall or taking care of major yard work. Also, you gotta remember, I'm a 40+ year old former fat guy who ran more miles last Friday than I have in my previous 40 years of life....combined. Well, not really, but you know what I mean.

I'm starting to get confident about a July HIM. In fact, starting to think I'll outperform my hopes. Then again, I didn't start with very high hopes other than finishing within 10 minutes of the cutoff. Add in that I've been swimming enough to have started to get fairly consistent flip turns....

On top of that, I've moved a lot of my workouts to times when my family is asleep and have been available for child chauffeuring, Cub Scout meetings, confirmation banquets, orchestra concerts, and such. And this is after a significant cumulative "bump" in 'training volume'. I still look forward to most workouts, and only dread maybe one every two weeks.

Man, this is fun. I hope it holds. One more of those cumulative 'bumps' left. If I can hold it through there, I'll still lose confidence somewhere....but maybe I'll be able to keep telling myself I had the confidence for weeks before simple pre-race jitters made it all only seem hinky.

Edited by jhaack39 2015-04-27 4:33 PM

2015-04-27 4:43 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Pretty proud, though some of you will chuckle...don't care
Good job man!!! It's a great feeling not only to hit a milestone, but knowing you did it while not killing all the family time. It makes it that much sweeter! Keep up the good work. and BTW: that's a nice pace you had going there.
2015-04-27 5:58 PM
in reply to: 0

, Idaho
Awesome stuff! Way to keep your family #1 while being consistent. Being able to do yard work, projects, etc. after workouts is huge too.

Edited by d.wilk 2015-04-27 5:59 PM
2015-04-28 12:25 AM

User image

Regular
Oregon
I think your entire post sounds awesome and inspiring.

I'm in my 30s, I've always been thin and I can't run like you do. I'm training for a sprint tri in June, a half marathon in August and an Olympic tri in September and I'd be elated if in any 1 of those races I averaged better than a 9:30 pace.

I feel ya on the family thing. It's so hard to balance. I was doing some runs during my son's soccer practices (there is a track adjacent to his soccer field) but then I felt like a piece of crap mom for not watching and engaging like all the other moms and dads. I tried to tell myself "maybe they're envious of me since I'm working out and they're not" but in the end it didn't really matter what they thought because I realized I just didn't want to miss it....his life, his childhood, our life....even mundane things like soccer practice.

soooo....I'm back to 5:00 am workouts. GAWD it is so hard when my alarm goes off at 4:40....but then as soon as I'm 10 minutes into my planned workout I'm already so proud of myself....and that feeling sticks with me throughout my day. I think I even have better job performance on days I workout.

It's amazing how I can work 10 or 11 hours...drive home and be exhausted. plant myself in front of the couch and beg my husband to bring me dinner. OR I can work 10 or 11 hours; ride my bike home and then be energized, doing laundry helping with homework, cooking dinner etc. Such a huge difference. Endorphins are amazing.

I think many of us take up triathlons with the idea that the "reward" is the finish line, the accomplishment, the bragging rights. But the real reward, the secret reward is actually the training and the way it transforms our lives.

Edited by themissj1981 2015-04-28 12:27 AM
2015-04-28 7:12 AM

User image

I wouldn't chuckle. I wish I could run that fast for 9 mi. That is about my 10k pace. Out of curiosity, what is your HIM? I am doing Musselman in July as my first race of that distance.
2015-04-28 7:33 AM
in reply to: #5111249

User image

Very nice run!! It is a good feeling when things start to come together. I'm there myself, and it's motivating. Keep it up!

2015-04-28 8:28 AM
in reply to: tjones2k9

User image

, Kronobergs lan
not chuckling at all, I wish I could do that.

and even if you were proud of achieving a 5k at a pace of 13 minute/mile, nobody can take that away from you. we are only competing amongst ourselves!

well done!
2015-04-28 11:27 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

The only chuckling I'm doing is at myself for the fact that when I stated running again 8:35 miles were a dream to me.  If I could mange a 10 minute mile I was pretty happy and it was quite awhile before I could string 9 of them together!

Great job, and I'm sure you're gonna crush the HIM!

2015-04-28 11:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Congrats, nothing to chuckle about at all, that's great work.  Keep it up!

Edited by dmiller5 2015-04-28 11:29 AM
2015-04-28 11:54 AM

User image

Marshall Michigan
I agree, you are killing it... you are going about things great keeping the family 1st.

Don't forget to ask the boss - what can I do for you?...and be sure to give some extra loving along the way...

Good luck

pb
2015-04-28 12:06 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Kudos to you, keep up the good work!

2015-04-28 12:07 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

I'm signed up for Muncie. I figure if I'm going to do a 70.3, I'm gonna do a branded one. It's close. And Indiana is flat.

Run's coming together. Swim HAS to be improving. Been in the pool 3 times a week for three months now. And at least once a week for the few previous months. Even pulling off flip turns at an alarmingly consistent rate. Hard to really tell though as I don't spend a lot of time looking at the clock beyond "welp, that took X minutes". I don't have anything other than faith that effort is paying off.

It's actually going so well, I'd considered cutting back some of the running mileage on the training plan I'm doing. It matches up pretty well with the beginner one from BT, but what's a "beginner"? I mean, everyone's different with different expectations. My plan all along for a HIM was to only run 7-8 miles, walk some, trot some....and finish. While I'm not ruling that out, I think I can definitely do better.

I've only missed one partial workout, a longish swim before that run....now 6 weeks in. I was pretty stressed about it, worried I'd miss another one due to weather and other interferences. I think now I'm not going to stress so much. I'll leave the mileage where it is, and not feel bad if I have to cut one in half, or switch out a shorter day for a longer day here and there.

It does help when you own your own business and you can simply come in 'late' or take off early. To me, anything prior to 5:00 AM is still waking up in the middle of the night. 6:30 is easily doable and gets me at work at a reasonable time. I did the 4:00 AM, 5:00 AM thing for years. It's one of the reasons I got out of the radio business. The hours were horrible and the pay was worse.
2015-04-28 3:25 PM

Veteran
No chuckling. Every victory is a victory. Full stop.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pretty proud, though some of you will chuckle...don't care Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

"Just don't care"

Started by everlong
Views: 935 Posts: 2

2014-04-17 9:20 AM mehaner

Monday Morning Chuckle

Started by IrishLadinTexas
Views: 2195 Posts: 16

2010-10-05 12:14 AM tarheelathlete

Swimwear (don't)care Pages: 1 2

Started by Rogillio
Views: 3204 Posts: 40

2010-08-01 1:28 PM Micawber

Any Mentor Group willing to adopt me?

Started by hrliles
Views: 1087 Posts: 7

2010-01-08 3:26 PM trigods

I don't care anymore about "aero"

Started by camy
Views: 1871 Posts: 24

2008-05-10 12:48 AM davidm724
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 24, 2012
comments : 1
Your wetsuit is a substantial investment, and proper care will extend its life considerably.

date : April 22, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Find out which sports nutrition practices effectively enhance performance. What and when you eat powerfully impacts how well you can perform.