General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA Bluebonnet Off-Road Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

XTERRA Bluebonnet Off-Road Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Burnet, Texas
United States
XTERRA
Total Time = 1h 41m 38s
Overall Rank = 14/61
Age Group = 30-34M
Age Group Rank = 5/8
Swim
  • 13m 10s
  • 800 meters
  • 01m 39s / 100 meters
Comments:

I had initially planned on starting behind two of the girls that I know swim slightly faster than me so I could try to draft off of them. Unfortunately all of the women started in the first wave and I wasn't sure if I knew any of the guys swim speeds for reference. Once the gun went off for my wave I simply started swimming and sighting often to ensure I was swimming straight. I frequently came up on the toes of other swimmers but it was quickly clear I was swimming faster than them so I simply shifted slightly to the side and swam on by. At least once I found myself squeezing between two slower swimmers who made a little more room as I passed through the middle. I never found anyone to draft off of but I think this was my fastest swim yet so I must have done something right.
What would you do differently?:

Looking at my GPS logs it is interesting how much time is lost rounding the buoys. I'm not sure how slow I am compared to others but faster turn around times would help speed up my swims.
Transition 1
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

T1 was almost immediately out of the water. While I knew this ahead of time I didn't consider how it might change my transition strategy. Normally while wearing a wetsuit I have a sequence of how I remove my gear and get get cap, goggles, ear plugs, wetsuit top and bib pulled down before I ever get to the transition. This time I found myself standing in front of my bike while I was still removing my cap and goggles and it honestly confused me a little on what I should do next. This was mostly because mid removal I realized I could just toss my watch, cap, goggles etc on the towel instead of my usual trick of pulling them into my wetsuit sleeve. Unfortunately I botched this by putting my computer in the cap, and later having to fetch it out and put my ear plugs in the cap.

If T1 is close to the swim exit and I'm wearing a wetsuit I should have a different item removal plan.
Bike
  • 50m 53s
  • 10 miles
  • 11.79 mile/hr
Comments:

I pre-rode the course the previous day and new that the course could be very fast but one of the challenges is the that you could get lots of speed and then run into a tight corner whee you'd have to quickly slow back down. Timing the braking into the corners and quickly getting back up to speed was key and I did a much better job of this during the race.

As I started the ride I didn't worry about going too hard in the beginning trying to pass people. I knew that there wasn't a lot of tech and that the course had plenty of good spots for passing so I figured I'd simply take the opportunities as they came and save my energy for the climbing later. This seemed to work out as I easily passed a number of riders in the early sections and never had to slow down for anyone.

As I reached the climbing sections I pushed hard but still tried to save some for the last big long granite climb that i knew was coming. My legs were burning and I wondered if I maybe pushed a little too hard on the previous day's pre-ride. At one point a stronger rider (Brant) passed me on a climb so I made it my goal to stick with him the rest of the way up. It seemed this motivation worked as I followed him all the way up the long granite climb.

Once at the top it was time for some downhill. During my pre-ride I managed to get a little out of control on the downhill and almost crashed on a big slab of granite. This left me a little reserved about going all out. Brant quickly spread the gap, and Alex S. also managed to pass me on the downhill.

Part of the final bike section had runner heading the opposite way (wide jeep road), and I noticed that we had not seen any runners yet so I figured that meant I was toward the front of the pack. As I rounded the final turn to head back to transition I started to see some runners including Ben P. who I knew was in my age group so I knew I'd have to work hard on the run to try to catch him.

Going a little easier on the pre-ride climbs might have helped save a little more for race day. Perhaps could have taken the downhills faster but the previous day's near crash made me more cautious and I'd rather avoid a hospital visit.
Transition 2
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

Transition was fast and smooth. We entered the transition from the same side that we left which was weird and made me question which direction I should rack my bike but I doubt that cost me much time.
Run
  • 35m 11s
  • 4 miles
  • 08m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

As usual I knew I could make up some time on the run and if I was lucky I hoped I could catch Ben P. since I saw him as I finished my bike. Right off the bat I caught Alex and Greg, wished them luck and continued my chase. At times I felt like I should be able to run faster but my heart rate was pretty high and I just didn't seem to be able to go any faster. Looking at my logs the first half of the run was a climb which I'm sure was the cause. Once I reached the top and we started descending I was able to get my heart rate down some, but continued to push. Once I got to the 3.25 mile mark I started to push and give it my all. I passed Jermey C. which surprised me a little because he started in the first wave and is usually faster than me. On the final stretch to the finish I saw Melanie in the distance, and again was surprised. Normally she is a top finisher and I knew she was in the first wave so I did my best to catch her. I managed to get within 10 yards of her before she realized I was there and we both made a mad 50 yard dash to the finish. The chip times show we crossed the finish at the same time so I'm sure it would have been a photo finish except Melanie was in the first wave and I was in the second. We congratulated each other and grabbed some drinks.

It is possible I could have pushed a little harder on the second half of the run. I was unsure of the total distance of the course and of the terrain and didn't want to burn out.
Post race
Event comments:

I had a great time at this race this year and enjoyed the course. While I liked the course I would have liked the bike to be a little longer and have some more technical sections. Adding an extra 2 miles of tech would have made the bike course perfect.

Post race burgers were served and there were the usual beer, Gatorade and Powerbars.

Last updated: 2015-04-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:10 | 800 meters | 01m 39s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/8
Overall: 16/61
Performance: Good
Suit: Desoto T1
Course: This year the swim was in the quarry in the back of the property. The water is clear and about 200 feet deep. The quarry itself is fairly large but a property line crosses part of the quarry which caused a fairly narrow section for everyone to swim through. Because of this and the two lap course the start was split into two waves 40 and older first and 39 and under second. My GPS measured 600 meters so I believe the course was also a little short of the advertised 800m.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:44
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:50:53 | 10 miles | 11.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/8
Overall: 22/61
Wind:
Course: The course was a new route this year and ended up being a single loop of about 10 miles. The race lived up to its name this year as the trail was covered in wild flowers making is a very beautiful ride if you took the time to enjoy it. This years course was very fast and had very little tech. Small patches of sand and tight blind corners kept me on my toes and were some of the only things that kept my speed down. There was also a good amount of climbing including a long steep solid granite climb to the top featuring a cross. Your tires stick like glue to the granite which coincidentally was also probably the most technical part of the ride. Once at the top you must go down on some wide twisty jeep roads where it is easy to go fast, possibly too fast.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:11 | 04 miles | 08m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 11/61
Course: Again this was a new run course this year and as is often the case was more technical than the bike course. The 4 mile loop featured mostly single track lined with wild flowers, and had about 500ft of gradual climbing and descending.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-04-28 12:02 PM

User image

Austin, Texas
Subject: XTERRA Bluebonnet Off-Road Triathlon

2015-05-01 8:33 PM
in reply to: #5111448

SE Texas
Subject: RE: XTERRA Bluebonnet Off-Road Triathlon
Nice report, congrats on the race. I missed this one.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA Bluebonnet Off-Road Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

XTERRA Bluebonnet Off-Road Triathlon

Started by sbohrer
Views: 1176 Posts: 1

2014-05-05 2:24 PM sbohrer

XTERRA Dirty Grizzly Off-Road Triathlon - XTERRA Course

Started by sgillen
Views: 1351 Posts: 1

2012-07-23 10:48 AM sgillen

Deuces Wild Triathlon Festival - Xterra Off-Road Triathlon

Started by desertsix
Views: 1460 Posts: 4

2006-06-06 4:41 PM PirateGirl

The King of the Hill Off-Road Triathlon XTERRA

Started by jmf-tt
Views: 1096 Posts: 3

2006-05-25 9:17 PM jellyfish

Snow Valley Off Road Triathlon. Xterra Series

Started by Hubert
Views: 915 Posts: 1

2005-09-21 11:39 AM Hubert
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Mikael67
comments : 0
End of season thoughts and tips

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : December 15, 2008
comments : 2
I bought a new road bike in April and want to know how to properly maintain it during the season when I'm riding often and during the off season.
date : December 15, 2008
comments : 0
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : September 3, 2006
author : morgoth7
My 1st triathlon, Xterra and the mess I made of myself. This wasn’t your regular triathlon, it was off-road.
date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.

date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.