General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Powermeter buy time? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-29 8:16 PM

Subject: Powermeter buy time?
I have asked a few questions lately about aero wheels and latex tubes. Some really good information and help in my decision making (how much to spend) process. The answers confirmed what my gut was telling me.
So with that in mind my first major purchase is going to be a power meter. After playing with the old Kurt Kinetic meter and finding it very hard to use, then the Kurt InRide, I started to use Trainer road. Now I see the hoop-la about using power instead of HR and Speed. However since the Kurt stuff is all basement related, I need power outside. After spending hours reading the reviews at DC Rainmakers site and considering my needs, I am leaning towards the Power2max crank based meter.
I do see the Aero wheels coming next year or later this year if a good deal pops up. The kind where the wife doesn’t say, you spent xxx on a power meter and now $$$ on wheels!
So with that in mind and the bike being dropped off this Saturday for a TLC session, any feed back on the pros or cons of the Power2max meter? The other one that I considered was the powwertap C1, but that is not even out yet. At this point is it worht waiting to see how the Powertap C1 works out or just pull out the masteracrd and go for it.

Joe

2015-04-29 9:03 PM
in reply to: Puppetmaster

User image

Subject: RE: Powermeter buy time?

Since you don't currently have race wheels, is there any reason you aren't considering a Powertap Hub laced into a training wheel, a disc cover, and maybe a front race wheel when your wife will allow it?  Go used with the PT wheel and you can likely get everything for the same price, if not less than a brand new P2M.

2015-04-29 9:54 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Originally posted by Jason N

Since you don't currently have race wheels, is there any reason you aren't considering a Powertap Hub laced into a training wheel, a disc cover, and maybe a front race wheel when your wife will allow it?  Go used with the PT wheel and you can likely get everything for the same price, if not less than a brand new P2M.

Mainly ignorence on my part on what I am buying used. I don't know enough about used powermeters or really new ones for that matter, to buy something off ebay. I do check this site daily, I feel less likely to get screwed by someone selling on here.
I had considered the rear hub option as I could swap beween bikes.

Any rules of thumb on what to look for or avoid?
Thanks
Joe
2015-04-29 11:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
I've sent these to a few of my athletes who like them for racing & training wheels with power. And as someone else said you could buy a wheel cover for the rear for about $100. $1700 for wheels and a powertap.

If you keep your eyes open sometimes they offer an additional discount so you can get it for around $1300!

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1156014_-1...

2015-04-30 3:06 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

My wife and I both have Power2max PMs.  Haven't had any issues with them at all and I would have no issue recommending them.  If you are able to use their cheapest model on your bike, it's a pretty darn good price at $600 including the crankset.  If you have to go to one of the other models, what Jason described above might be a better option.  I've also had Powertap wheels and would have no issue recommending them either.  

2015-04-30 6:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

There are lots of opinions on Powermeters... lots...And with more and more options it isn't going to get better.

If you know and trust the person a used PT may be a very cost effective way to go. I personally would not buy a used PM from an unknown person unless I had a way to verify it.

A PT is a very good power meter. I had one and it was great for several years. You can't really go wrong.

The only caveat is IF you plan to buy race wheels in the future this is not the way to go.

I currently own Vectors that I love but I think they are too expensive
I have a Quarq that I love and since they recently dropped price would probably be my first choice
Before they dropped price, I probably would have gone for a P2Max.

PTs new offerings are interesting but they are unknown.
I personally would avoid single sided solutions
The 4iii is kind of like the new PTs, still unknown

As a newbie you want something with the lowest potential for problems. PT is really good, IF there are no plans for race wheels in the future.

If you train a lot on the trainer also be aware of the potential need to swap tires between race/road and trainer. I have a trainer wheel, a training wheel and a racing wheel all with different tires.

2015-04-30 6:22 AM

User image

I own a handful of wheelsets. 60mm, 90mm rear, trainer wheelset, outdoor training wheelset. I had a powertap and realized that did me no good inside or if I traded out for another set of wheels.

I got a Quarq for my tri bike and have used that for about 5 years now. Love it to death and I don't have to worry about what wheelset I'm using.

When I got a road bike I didn't really want to spend as much as a Quarq so I ended up with a Power2Max for that. I've used this setup for a little over a year and a half now and I like it at least as well as the Quarq.

Were I buying again I would get another Power2Max. That way no matter what happened to wheelsets or rear wheels I'd still have the powermeter I'm used to using.

2015-04-30 11:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I have a Power2Max.  LOVE it and found no problems with it.  Getting stronger with it because I now know what to look at during training.  200watts is 200watts no matter how I feel, what I ate yesterday, how I slept last night, or if I forgot to take my allergy meds this morning.

2015-04-30 3:57 PM

Pearland, Ohio
Another vote for Power2Max. I've had mine for almost 2 years now. It just works. In my opinion its the best deal out there right now.
2015-04-30 4:40 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

the problem with picking a PM depends on whether you have one or two bikes you ride regularly that you want power on, or a separate set of race wheels and you want power for training and racing.  Some people train with and race without.

I have two bikes, and want power on all.   So having one PT training wheel that I cover for races and add a HED 3 front covers all my bases.  

If I went crank based I'd have to swap cranks every weekend, which although it may be easy (never done it) sure seems like more work than swapping wheels at will and slapping a cover on 4 x a year to race....

2015-05-01 12:45 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

Uhm...thanks for all the feedback

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Powermeter buy time? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

WHAT POWERMETER TO BUY?

Started by hrliles
Views: 2034 Posts: 13

2010-10-01 11:30 AM Dlaxman31

first time buying cycling shoes

Started by amills1210
Views: 1829 Posts: 10

2009-05-14 5:43 PM slowpoke77

Best time of year to buy a bike

Started by tameryka
Views: 1308 Posts: 7

2007-12-09 9:00 PM nevergivin

best time of year to buy a bike

Started by JoshKaptur
Views: 811 Posts: 4

2007-06-25 11:47 AM the bear

Time Trials, Pictures, and Powermeter analysis

Started by guncollector
Views: 1577 Posts: 11

2007-03-20 8:33 AM dgunthert
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 25, 2014
author : jtriathlete
comments : 12
I'm jumping back into the long-distance races next year and I'm wondering the best way to spend my money? Should I buy a new bike or a powermeter and race wheels?

date : December 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
We are often asked the question, "What size frame should I buy" and the answer is “it depends”. I know that’s not the answer you want to hear, but hopefully the following will shed some more light.
date : November 24, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on winter maintenance fitness, training and traveling, coaching, and the benefits of training with a powermeter for those that haven't yet commited to one.

date : August 13, 2008
author : say78
In February, I was given a very special gift: a gift certificate to buy a nice road bike. That's when I realized there was no turning back. I WAS doing this.
date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.

date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.
date : May 1, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
Topics include Ironman training, nutrition, focus weeks, balance, running form, SPL, powermeter, coaching and minimal training time for events.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.