General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Things less talked about... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-05-06 7:54 AM
in reply to: pwoolson

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Subject: RE: Things less talked about...
Originally posted by pwoolson

Originally posted by FranzZemen

There are things about triathlon that change a person...like removing phobias. #2 is a big part of that. Like #2 in a public lavatory, or #2 in a portelet, or #2 in the woods because you'd rather finish the training run than walk home, or #2 in your trisuit because loosing time on #2 is no excuse and there are no portalets on those last 6 miles.

The fact of the matter is digestive issues face most of us. There was a time when I was like "no way man, not in a million years". But the ice is now completely broken so to say.

I had a good race on Sunday. Average performance, but good race overall. I was in control every everything except my stomach in the last 6 miles. I want to be ashamed, but I'm not. Performance was ** more ** important than pride.

Luckily I was wearing black shorts.

Note to self: (And the rest of BT if you choose to heed)
When checking out the classified section,
DO NOT PURCHASE "ONLY WORN IN ONE RACE" TRI SUIT FROM FRANZzEMEN.

LOL, I almost choked on my coffee reading that.

2015-05-06 10:44 AM
in reply to: zed707

User image

Regular
Oregon
Originally posted by zed707

Originally posted by SevenZulu

Yeah, hot tomales.  That sounds right.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=150441&page=2

New members always seem to get a kick of that classic, so here it is. Page 2  of the thread contains the entire OP in it's full awesomeness in a quote.

Hey, when you guys click this link does it say "this user's post has been ignored" for everything that the OP writes? I've never chosen to "ignore" anybody on this forum (or any forum that I can remember).
2015-05-06 11:05 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=150441&page=2

New members always seem to get a kick of that classic, so here it is. Page 2  of the thread contains the entire OP in it's full awesomeness in a quote.

Thank you for the reminder, my day just got better. Or less serious, anyway!

2015-05-06 11:07 AM
in reply to: themissj1981

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by themissj1981

Hey, when you guys click this link does it say "this user's post has been ignored" for everything that the OP writes? I've never chosen to "ignore" anybody on this forum (or any forum that I can remember).

Click on your Settings/Forum Settings/Ignore Users. You may find someone in there that was not intended.

2015-05-06 11:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

I remember that thread and to this day can't believe she did it on the bike and continued to ride.... Dumping in your pants in my opinion can only happen in one scenario.... AN ACCIDENT...

I've had some GI discomfort in races that I believe were flukes as my race routine (3-4 days out, through race day) is very dialed in and consistent.  That doesn't mean there weren't times on the bike or run I thought I might shart, it just didn't happen thankfully.  Nor did I "encourage" it to happen...

I think it would be incredibly uncomfortable and extremely embarrassing...

I believe on one of 13 pages of the tamales thread is a link to photos of a guy coming into the finish area that opted for the crap yourself and win your AG approach... Doubt he will ever live that down...

2015-05-06 11:35 AM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

And then there is the infamous "poop runner".  I wouldn't post a picture here but google "poop runner" and you will see a young man that will be forever immortalized as the guy who messed himself during a race.  What a crappy claim to fame.

2015-05-06 11:58 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Oregon
Originally posted by cdban66

Click on your Settings/Forum Settings/Ignore Users. You may find someone in there that was not intended.

I followed those instructions, but there is nobody on that list. I'm confused.

Edited by themissj1981 2015-05-06 11:59 AM
2015-05-06 12:10 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Originally posted by cdban66

I followed those instructions, but there is nobody on that list. I'm confused.

I assume it's because the OP is no longer a member, I see the same thing. But it lives on in responses that quoted the OP.

2015-05-06 12:51 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by popsracer

And then there is the infamous "poop runner".  I wouldn't post a picture here but google "poop runner" and you will see a young man that will be forever immortalized as the guy who messed himself during a race.  What a crappy claim to fame.

That's the guy...

What's interesting is how many people say they'd do the same thing if they were in position to win a race etc.... However I haven't seen any other pics along these lines so likely there are many great stories out there of people who took 2nd or 3rd and the ONLY reason they lost was because they had to drop a deuce behind a set of trees and got passed at the end..  

2015-05-06 1:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Originally posted by TriMike

That's the guy...

What's interesting is how many people say they'd do the same thing if they were in position to win a race etc.... However I haven't seen any other pics along these lines so likely there are many great stories out there of people who took 2nd or 3rd and the ONLY reason they lost was because they had to drop a deuce behind a set of trees and got passed at the end..  

Good point.

In an attempt to recover from the ensuing psychological trauma (haha), I did find a lot of online posts, especially among runner's groups, on the topic. It happens more often than anyone knows, because like my experience for most it ended up not being something that one ends up seeing (or noticing with other senses). What's well pointed out however is:

1) People have a really hard time dealing with the thought that it could happen to them. #2 is really, really taboo.

2) Idiot savants always have great advice on how to avoid it happening, yet they are not those to whom it has happened up to that point. Somehow proper diet is a solution....as if all the experienced runners to whom it happened were gobbling down fiber and fat right before. Folks, this happens in-spite of, not because of diet.

3) The onset speed often fast...like a few minutes. You barely have time to make a decision. If you are hell bent on pushing through on your race, you're already pre-disposed to make the "wrong" decision.

5) It almost always is a result of 1) No portalets, 2) No adequate cover. Somehow people think that others had it happen because they ignored those aids. I think there's only a couple of well known incidents that were because they were in first or second spot to win.

6) And here's kicker: Almost everyone that it happened to it was their first time. So that means, it happens to people that probably don't think its going to happen to them. Which is really not good odds for saying "I'd never do that".

Finally, to those that think its somehow childish humor or are obsessed in being voyeurs on the topic, pics and videos, I say grow up. Sh*t happens.

Edited by FranzZemen 2015-05-06 1:47 PM
2015-05-06 2:28 PM
in reply to: FranzZemen

User image

Point #2 is the one that always gets me. People act so high and mighty about their bowel movements. They refuse to understand that just because something works for them, that doesn't mean it works for everyone. You always have the people saying "I have a cup of coffee and wait half an hour--then I am set". Yeah, I have had to make as many as 3 stops on long runs. That doesn't work for me. Also, the advice earlier about what to eat the night before might help some people, but I know from eating things such as beets that it can take more than 48 hours for things to move through my system. Sometimes it just isn't that simple.

Seriously, before every race, I take an Immodium.

2015-05-06 2:34 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Originally posted by happyscientist Point #2 is the one that always gets me. People act so high and mighty about their bowel movements. They refuse to understand that just because something works for them, that doesn't mean it works for everyone. You always have the people saying "I have a cup of coffee and wait half an hour--then I am set". Yeah, I have had to make as many as 3 stops on long runs. That doesn't work for me. Also, the advice earlier about what to eat the night before might help some people, but I know from eating things such as beets that it can take more than 48 hours for things to move through my system. Sometimes it just isn't that simple. Seriously, before every race, I take an Immodium.

I don't think saying that I won't poop my pants should be considered "high and mighty"

2015-05-06 2:39 PM
in reply to: FranzZemen

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by FranzZemen

That's the guy...

Good point. In an attempt to recover from the ensuing psychological trauma (haha), I did find a lot of online posts, especially among runner's groups, on the topic. It happens more often than anyone knows, because like my experience for most it ended up not being something that one ends up seeing (or noticing with other senses). What's well pointed out however is: 1) People have a really hard time dealing with the thought that it could happen to them. #2 is really, really taboo. 2) Idiot savants always have great advice on how to avoid it happening, yet they are not those to whom it has happened up to that point. Somehow proper diet is a solution....as if all the experienced runners to whom it happened were gobbling down fiber and fat right before. Folks, this happens in-spite of, not because of diet. 3) The onset speed often fast...like a few minutes. You barely have time to make a decision. If you are hell bent on pushing through on your race, you're already pre-disposed to make the "wrong" decision. 5) It almost always is a result of 1) No portalets, 2) No adequate cover. Somehow people think that others had it happen because they ignored those aids. I think there's only a couple of well known incidents that were because they were in first or second spot to win. 6) And here's kicker: Almost everyone that it happened to it was their first time. So that means, it happens to people that probably don't think its going to happen to them. Which is really not good odds for saying "I'd never do that". Finally, to those that think its somehow childish humor or are obsessed in being voyeurs on the topic, pics and videos, I say grow up. Sh*t happens.

The debate is whether people will willingly have a #2 in their race kit or not... You posted on the subject, even built up to why you thought it's ok so now that you are hearing from many people that they'd never willingly do it, we're now childish and even more puzzlingly, voyeurs?  

Were you expecting "atta boy"?  Do you want a badge?  

I will not ever willingly poop in my race kit, an accident could happen sure, and it would be a fluke because I don't do anything new on race day, nor race eve, nor race week...Does planning and execution make me an idiot savant?  

As for the last six miles of your race having no "portalets" (haven't heard them called that before), I've never heard of such a thing... Maybe it seemed like six miles and was really six blocks...

2015-05-06 2:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by happyscientist Point #2 is the one that always gets me. People act so high and mighty about their bowel movements. They refuse to understand that just because something works for them, that doesn't mean it works for everyone. You always have the people saying "I have a cup of coffee and wait half an hour--then I am set". Yeah, I have had to make as many as 3 stops on long runs. That doesn't work for me. Also, the advice earlier about what to eat the night before might help some people, but I know from eating things such as beets that it can take more than 48 hours for things to move through my system. Sometimes it just isn't that simple. Seriously, before every race, I take an Immodium.

I don't think saying that I won't poop my pants should be considered "high and mighty"

EIBM (excercise induced bowel movement..I made that up) occurs when I push really hard (push on the run that is). I can usually control it by slowing down or even walking.

I also know that It doesn't always have the consistency to stay in place so you better be ready to have it pouring down your leg on your finisher pics if you so choose. Poopman of ST fame did it for a Kona slot and was proud to show it off in his finisher pic.

With all the videos, youtubing....the chances of becoming a film star is high, so think about it and make your decisions. I personally would not publicly crap myself for a local race. But to each his own.

You can't control it, but you can think in advance on how to handle it should it occur.

2015-05-06 3:12 PM

User image

Regular
Oregon

saying "I won't poop my pants" is kinda like saying "I won't die of a heart attack". You might be doing all the right things to prevent a heart attack...but you don't always have 100% control over how these things pan out.

Though I've never exactly been here; I would imagine that few athletes make a conscious strategy decision TO go #2 in their pants...it's more like they make a consious strategy decision NOT TO STOP, and deal with whatever consequences might happen. They figure they are gonna try and hold it...that has probably worked out for them several times in the past. They fully realize it's a gamble that might result in them having an accident but they are OK with that possible outcome.

For me...I've already made several consious decisions not to stop to go #1 and just try to hold it on a run. so far it has worked out for me every time but it's been dicey for sure....and we're just talking training runs here. I'm sure one of these days my "gambling" will catch up with me. I can live with that.
2015-05-06 3:29 PM

User image

Did you read the rest of the paragraph?

2015-05-06 3:59 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by happyscientist

I read the whole paragraph and it reads as though anyone who mentions they don't crap themselves in a race are saying they're better than those who do simply because their plan(s) work...

And to be clear, the OP said he made the choice to go #2, which by default no longer can be considered an accident....

Accidents suck, no other way to say it.  Many of us take precautions to avoid the accidents, fortunately my precautions have worked for me.  If I share them am I better than you?  

2015-05-06 3:59 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I saw what you did there.

2015-05-06 4:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

[/QUOTE] saying "I won't poop my pants" is kinda like saying "I won't die of a heart attack". You might be doing all the right things to prevent a heart attack...but you don't always have 100% control over how these things pan out. Though I've never exactly been here; I would imagine that few athletes make a conscious strategy decision TO go #2 in their pants...it's more like they make a consious strategy decision NOT TO STOP, and deal with whatever consequences might happen. They figure they are gonna try and hold it...that has probably worked out for them several times in the past. They fully realize it's a gamble that might result in them having an accident but they are OK with that possible outcome. For me...I've already made several consious decisions not to stop to go #1 and just try to hold it on a run. so far it has worked out for me every time but it's been dicey for sure....and we're just talking training runs here. I'm sure one of these days my "gambling" will catch up with me. I can live with that.

Maybe this will help:   "I won't WILLINGLY poop my pants" is kinda like saying "I won't WILLINGLY die of a heart attack". 

As for it turning into an accident because of pushing ahead or plowing on, then that's understandable..

2015-05-06 5:43 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Well, this thread took an interesting turn. It seems there is a small, yet vocal, pro-pooping contingent that did not emerge in the 2009 "Going to the bathroom on the bike" thread. Very interesting. 

2015-05-07 7:39 AM

User image

Originally posted by happyscientist

I read the whole paragraph and it reads as though anyone who mentions they don't crap themselves in a race are saying they're better than those who do simply because their plan(s) work...

And to be clear, the OP said he made the choice to go #2, which by default no longer can be considered an accident....

Accidents suck, no other way to say it.  Many of us take precautions to avoid the accidents, fortunately my precautions have worked for me.  If I share them am I better than you?  

No, what I wrote isn't about people who crap themselves in a race. It is about the people who claim they can perfectly time their bowel movements so they never have to look for a port-a-potty during a race and get snotty and dismissive of people who can't simply have a cup of coffee and be good for the rest of the day.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Things less talked about... Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Tips - Little things you never think about Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by tkd.teacher
Views: 12574 Posts: 116

2009-05-26 6:39 PM pjgrande

Little things...

Started by nxm165
Views: 873 Posts: 5

2008-03-22 7:07 PM bhoover10001

Answer to the little yellow thing-Areo bottle Pages: 1 2

Started by LSU2003
Views: 2217 Posts: 30

2007-09-19 1:42 PM tjtryon

Need a little pep talk

Started by Sharona1973
Views: 1435 Posts: 17

2006-07-18 8:18 AM Sharona1973

Transitions...the little things add up

Started by Crash
Views: 1023 Posts: 5

2004-03-29 9:37 PM snikpos
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
comments : 0
“Too bad there’s not anything like this for triathletes.” There are a million books and articles on how to train. One of the toughest parts of triathlon training is how to fit them into everyday life.