Kelowna, British Columbia
Canada
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 23s
Overall Rank = 27/167
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/13
Pre-race routine:

Not much to it, light breakfast, coffee, drive on down to transition.
Event warmup:

Event warm-up consisted of swimming a few laps of the pool.
Swim
  • 12m 23s
  • 700 meters
  • 01m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

Best I can tell, I was in the top 20% on the swim.

The water was turned pink for this swim!! :D Overall I went slower than expected. I am used to having super fast open turns at my pool with an underwater push-off glide, but this pool did not have the lip I am used to at my pool, pretty well making my open turn practice useless. Had one collision, got passed once.

Overall felt I seeded myself pretty accurately, but tried to take it easier than in practice where I was hitting 11:18-11:30 for 700m using my local 25m pool, just to make sure I wasn't gassed for the bike and run.

Messed up using the garmin for this swim, saw a big fat zero at the end. OOPS
What would you do differently?:

Learn to deal with just flat walls and flipturn better.

Learn to use my garmin :p
Transition 1
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

Fastest T1 time I could find was 53s, so happy with this for my first triathlon.

Had to run down a set of stairs and then into transition. Hadn't done any running after a swim, so this was unexpected territory, so I tried not to go out too fast, just to make sure I didn't slip or anything. Otherwise time IN transition was VERY minimal. Used elastics to keep the shoes parallel to the ground while clipped in, ran out and performed a flying mount!

Practice running out of the pool a bit more to know better what I can handle. Get a tinted visor for my aero helmet rather than putting on sunglasses AND a helmet.

Maybe practice getting up to speed and into my bike shoes a LITTLE more, I might have been able to save a few more seconds, but still felt it was pretty solid, especially for the first time.
Bike
  • 37m 33s
  • 22 kms
  • 35.15 km/hr
Comments:

Beet I can tell, I was in the top 10% of bike splits. None of the relay teams beat my bike split either.

Felt REALLY cold at first as it hadn't completely warmed up outside yet, but being soaking wet and on the bike..... I hadn't done that yet before!!

Each loop was faster than the loop before it, and I really enjoyed passing people!

Second time on the hill, my chain went off my largest cog in the back, and I lost all momentum as I tried to recover. Damn. Still matched my first hill-climb time though.

Little more practice biking in the cold soaking wet!! Performance was good, just to get past the discomfort aspect!

I had my road bike completely tuned up, but didn't get it back in time to tune up my tri bike for the race, and it was the last minute that I even knew which bike to use. Road bike needed work, tri bike seemed solid, but should have been tuned up as I now know from the chain mishap. Takes very little to have an issue!
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

Winners were in the 33s range, best time I could fins was 29s. Feel pretty good about my dismount, running with the bike, and getting the helmet off and shoes on.

Sunglasses came off with the helmet, couldn't keep them on cause of the aero helmet covering the ears. Wasn't sure what to do for a second and just decided screw it.

I have the quick release kit for my garmin, but racked my bike before taking it off.

Take off garmin sooner, or ONLY wear it on the wrist.

No sunglasses, tinted visor only for the bike. Have sunglasses as optional to grab with the race belt+number.
Run
  • 24m 32s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 55s  min/km
Comments:

Run went better than expected, but still didn't even crack the top 30% of runners. Definitely my weakest sport of the 3, but saved enough to have a decent performance, despite some ITB woes since my half marathon roughly 6 weeks ago.

Best open 5k time this year so far was 23 minutes, so to do 5.2 kms in 24:32 after my bike left me pretty happy. Averaged a 4:49-4:50 min/km pace for the first 4 kms, then hit 4:33 for the last km with a strong finishing kick!!

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

LAid down on the ground looking at the sky for a minute, then started walking around to go get my kids, talk to people, but most importantly keep moving around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

ITB issues limiting my run training. Not enough swim to run and swim to bike training to know what I can REALLY push at the beginning. A little bit more finesse on the transitions with experience.

Flipturns!!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-05-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:23 | 700 meters | 01m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 0/167
Performance: Average
Suit: 2 piece Tri suit
Course: 50 meter pool, serpentine swim.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:14
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:37:33 | 22 kms | 35.15 km/hr
Wind: Little
Course: 3 loop course with one hill per lap, roughly 50 meters.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:32 | 05 kms | 04m 55s  min/km
Course: Single loop, 85% gravel and hardpack.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-05-04 10:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Cherry Blossom Sprint Triathlon

2015-05-05 12:11 AM
in reply to: #5113098

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Cherry Blossom Sprint Triathlon

Congrats triathlete!  Sounds like you had a great day.  I love that the pool was pink!  Our Cherry Blossoms have been out for awhile here on the Coast, they are so beautiful

Whats next?

2015-05-05 12:30 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Extreme Veteran
Considering it was my first triathlon, I am pretty darn happy with how it went!!

Just trying to decide what to do now, there is another spring and olympic june 6th, but that seems a little close ( and it's a little $$ ) but there is a small sprint in Vernon on June 21st that would be fun to do.

A couple friends are trying to get me to do the barebones duathlon this weekend, which I am considering, just for fun.

End of the summer I will be targeting the Apple Triathlon in kelowna, and if my fitness is where I want it to be, I might do Challenge Half, just for fun.

Make use of this TriBC card I paid for! :p
2015-05-05 12:34 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Figured out how to upload photos \^_^/

In the first photo, I had JUST mounted my bike, and those are my kids in the background watching me!!

Last one was the finishing chute! ( or 3rd one when I wrote this, more might come )

Edited by dfquigley 2015-05-05 12:36 AM
2015-05-05 8:40 PM
in reply to: #5113098

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Well done!!  A great race and nothing slow anywhere.  You were well prepared and a 1:16 first time out is excellent.

Oliver will be fun and we'll be swimming in Tuc el Nuit pretty soon (two weeks).  It's not too bad in the early season but not nice once it warms up.  Because of your rehabing injuries you may not be ready for another sprint in 4 weeks but if you're pretty well back to normal that is lots of time to recover before another sprint.

My first sprint two years ago was the Kelowna Pushor Mitchell Apple Sprint in August.  Check it out it is very well run and a pretty nice course as well.  And, they have an Oly race on the same day.  I quite liked the bike route - 2 loops with a short climb up Knox then a really fast downhill so you can really get some speed going.  I should do it again just to see how much faster I could do it.

2015-05-05 10:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
I feel I've recovered pretty darn well and that a spring in 4 weeks would be doable, but I'd rather take the extra time and do the one in Vernon later in june, I'll just be able to be better prepared.

I'm absolutely going to do the Apple in august though!! I volunteered on the bike course last year, and it was a blast!

2 days out from the triathlon tonight, and the weekly BOA tuesday time trials started, so I had to go out and lay down my first time for the season on the Old Vernon road TT course.

It's supposed to be 10 miles as I understand, but it seems to measure out as 15.4 kms, and I averaged 37.4 km/h. Not terrible for being 2 days out from my triathlon :p

Not 100% recovered, but a pretty solid start to the season!

Edited by dfquigley 2015-05-05 10:36 PM

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cherry Blossom Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cherry Blossom 10 Mile Run

Started by Kristin
Views: 2132 Posts: 4

2006-04-03 9:25 AM rollinsw

Cherry Blossom 10 Miler

Started by witteb
Views: 2462 Posts: 4

2006-04-04 5:56 PM BodyCheck

Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run

Started by Skazi
Views: 1941 Posts: 3

2006-04-02 4:30 PM tnt2tri

Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run

Started by BodyCheck
Views: 5739 Posts: 23

2006-04-07 2:18 PM konichiwa

Cherry Blossom 10 Mile

Started by chab
Views: 971 Posts: 1

2005-05-25 6:10 PM chab
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 23, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Learn what the latest research is on using caffeine, sports drinks, cherry juice and beets to improve your triathlon performance.

date : May 24, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Learn the effects that beets, cherries, sleep and body image have on your athletic performance.
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.