General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Facing run layoff before Ironman - dvice wanted! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-05 4:26 PM

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
Subject: Facing run layoff before Ironman - dvice wanted!
Hey,

looking for some advice - I'm doing an iron distance race here in Ireland on 22nd August - I'm on wk 5 of the IM plan here - it worked really well for me last time so was confident going with it again.

Unfortunately I'm looking at a few weeks off running to deal with a niggling knee issue. I can bike and swim no problem, and could spend the extra time doing extra bike and swim sessions.

Has anyone faced a similar situation and what did you do? What would you advise? How much did it impact your run come race day? What other things could I do to lessen the impact?

Thanks in advance!

Graham

2015-05-06 3:05 AM
in reply to: grahamclarke_6

User image

Subject: RE: Facing run layoff before Ironman - dvice wanted!

Your ability to cope will depend a bit on your running history and how much you’ve got in the bank but either way – all things being equal. 

Cycle more, work on your core, don’t put on weight, don’t let it become a big deal in your head and don’t do too much too soon when you can run again.

Think about the issues that may have caused your run injury and work on minimising them

Rarely does anyone get the perfect training block leading up to an ironman so you’ll be fine.

2015-05-06 4:27 PM
in reply to: #5113281

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
Cheers, know exactly what caused it & completely my own fault & I know better which makes it more annoying! !
Just back from the physio & should be back in about 10days. Loads more swims & bikes for those 10days!
you're right about not letting it affect the head - just need to remember that! !
Thanks
2015-05-07 6:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Newcastle, England

I tore my calf about 11weeks before IM Switz 2013 and only started gentle jogging again a week or so before hand - my fitnesses helped me complete - but i was not fast

Using the time to get more efficient/faster on the bike is a good idea, this will help you go into the run with fresher legs 

Dont rush the recovery or you may end up making things worst

2015-05-08 4:36 AM
in reply to: #5113555

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
Thanks - good reassurance!
2015-05-09 3:04 PM

User image

Expert
I had to take 2.5 weeks off running 2 and a bit months before IMWI to deal with a grade 2 calf tear. I added a couple of bikes to my schedule and went pool jogging. When I returned I jump right back in and did a 22 km run my first week back, ended up with plantar faciitis which plagued me until race day and probably cost me close to 30 minutes on my marathon time race day (in June of that year I was killing it, running better than I ever had before). My advise would be to ramp your running back up when you get back into it.

2015-05-10 2:31 PM
in reply to: Daffodil

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
Originally posted by Daffodil

I had to take 2.5 weeks off running 2 and a bit months before IMWI to deal with a grade 2 calf tear. I added a couple of bikes to my schedule and went pool jogging. When I returned I jump right back in and did a 22 km run my first week back, ended up with plantar faciitis which plagued me until race day and probably cost me close to 30 minutes on my marathon time race day (in June of that year I was killing it, running better than I ever had before). My advise would be to ramp your running back up when you get back into it.

Thanks - I'm a little further out and was actually just thinking about where to jump back in - think I will do a week of shorter runs 5-10km and see how it is before jumping abck to 90/100min runs etc. My long run peaks at 3hrs in about 10wks so not too worried if I have to reduce that to 2.15/2.30 - rather be under trained than injuired!!
2015-05-10 3:34 PM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

I had to take a couple of weeks off running during my IM build up so I used the time to put more focus on cycling and swimming.  Nothing major is going to happen to your fitness in two weeks, especially if you are still training in the other two sports.  The worst thing you can possibly do is to return to running before you are fully healed, which is all too easily done.  Make sure you take the time you need to recover properly.

2015-05-11 3:55 PM
in reply to: tridantri

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
Originally posted by tridantri

I had to take a couple of weeks off running during my IM build up so I used the time to put more focus on cycling and swimming.  Nothing major is going to happen to your fitness in two weeks, especially if you are still training in the other two sports.  The worst thing you can possibly do is to return to running before you are fully healed, which is all too easily done.  Make sure you take the time you need to recover properly.

thanks - what distances were you up to and what did you jump back in at - jsut curious as don't want to over do it and suffer further lay offs!
2015-05-11 7:40 PM

User image

I have tendonitis on my left leg. I got it about 5-6 weeks ago after a 20 mile run (probably had it before then but I remember that run taking me over the edge). I semi slowly brought up my running. I'd set to run 8 miles but stop at 2 since it started to hurt (not painful but enough to where I knew it was better if I just stopped). I took ~2 weeks off running initially and then worked up to 5 miles or so. It still hurt after that but the pain comes later and later into my run now. Against my better judgement I ran a 1/2 marathon last week and of course it hurt for 2-3 days afterwards.

Anyway though...I'd just biked hard like a mad man (4-5x/week). I did that and I now have an FTP 12 watts over my all time high. Even bad things can be turned into positives. Although not ideal, if you were a runner before, it should help carry you during your race. I have a 100 mile and 1/2 Ironman in 4 weeks (those are 1 week apart...) I don't really plan to push hard for running this month and plan to just keep an easy pace at both races. Not ideal but it is what it is.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Facing run layoff before Ironman - dvice wanted! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swim/Bike layoff

Started by sax
Views: 1073 Posts: 6

2010-01-08 8:24 PM KeepOnTriN

Ironman Wisconsin RUN video ready for download

Started by SimplyStu
Views: 746 Posts: 1

2006-08-20 7:35 AM SimplyStu

Ironman Wisconsin VIDEO Preview done: Swim, T1, Bike and Run

Started by SimplyStu
Views: 1584 Posts: 6

2006-09-12 12:13 AM Birkierunner

Ironman Wants Respect, Article on Cam Widoff.

Started by Rowdy
Views: 3189 Posts: 9

2005-11-12 9:30 AM max

Best Beginning Run Training for First Ironman?

Started by AerynSun
Views: 2405 Posts: 8

2004-11-21 8:34 PM BadgerIronMan
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 10, 2013
author : mnatwood
comments : 2
Don’t give up just because the training is difficult. Don’t let fear win just because you find yourself uncomfortable.

date : June 25, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Bench Press - Dumbbell, Palms Facing-In strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.