General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Boise : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-08 2:13 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Boise : Official Thread
Well, it's only five weeks away. Who all is doing the race?

This will be my third attempt at having a decent race here. Last two times had horrible weather. I swore I'd never come back but it is such a great venue and enough time has passed to erase some of the disappointment I've had here.

2015-05-09 1:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Boise : Official Thread
Headed back my 2nd time after the "Snow" year. Hope we have a great weather day! It's my warm up for IMC a few weeks later.

Edited by jsm 2015-05-09 1:39 PM
2015-06-04 11:23 AM
in reply to: popsracer

10 days forecast says mostly sunny, 89 with some winds. Hope that equals better weather than last year! Excited and nervous at same time!
2015-06-04 1:10 PM
in reply to: SenseiDenise

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I was just looking at the weather on several sites and all are pointing to a warm day 90ish and a little wind is almost always going to be there but I'm hoping it stays below 10mph.  The thing that bothers me is that I am seeing some cloudiness and possible thunderstorms a few days before the race.  This far out that could move around a few days.  I do NOT want to have to deal with that.

I'm hoping to get there on Thursday evening.  Will have all day Friday to relax a bit.  My son is going to do the Ironkids race Friday night which will be a lot of fun to watch.

Hope everyone's training is going well. 

2015-06-05 1:28 PM

I have family in Boise, so they are keeping an eye on the weather for me. I agree about the stinkin' wind. I live in Nevada and it's always windy here. Would like to have a bike ride without the wind someday!

We are traveling on Thursday, too. Safe travels!
2015-06-08 6:00 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I'm glad the race isn't today or tomorrow.  98 degrees would be brutal.  Looking like it might cool to the low to mid 80's which would suit me fine.  No snow this year.

I was also looking at the course and didn't realize T2 and the finish line had changed.  I don't know if this change was in place last year as it's been a few years since I was there but I think the changes suck.  It is bad enough to have T1 and T2 in different places but the finish line is in a third place?  It was nice to have T2 and the finish right in downtown (a block from my hotel).  I'm glad I have a sherpa to help me get around.

On the bright side it turns an already  flat run into a partially downhill run and then flat.  Anyone getting a little anxious?

2015-06-09 9:05 AM

User image

Seattle
X2 on the T1 & T2 situation. Afterwards going to get your stuff will be a pain in the butt. I kind of hope they allow pickups by the family while we are running like they do on the full Ironmans. Hoping that the warm weather brings the lake temps into the 60's. Swam in Lake Sammamish (Local lake) last weekend and it was really warm 69 degrees for this time of the year.

Good luck

John Marquis
2015-06-09 12:03 PM

I read a post on Slowtwitch from somebody who had a pretty bad wreck last year on one of the dips in the road right before T2. I wonder if the change is partly to avoid biking through that area?
2015-06-09 12:39 PM
in reply to: TxAgs92

I think I read that there is some road construction that forced the switch for T2. Also read where there is a bike claim check so someone else can get your bike if they have your claim check. Maybe that will help. I don't know if that means they can pick up your gear bags, too.

Definitely getting anxious. My very first 1/2 Iron Man and am freaking out somewhat about doing that run after the bike and swim.

Anyone have info on the wind situation? Forecast says 10-12 mph winds. Has that held true in the past?

Good luck to all!
2015-06-09 2:13 PM

I have no idea how accurate the forecasts will be, especially this far out. The three forecasts I am looking at range between NW @3-5mph to NW @11 gusting to 14. I suspect they will narrow it down by Thursday or Friday. I am flying in from Texas on Thursday, so I will be ready for the heat. All the past reports I have read from Boise races seem to indicate that regardless of what is forecast, the wind can be a bit gusty and shift directions a bit. I am a bit lucky in that I am only doing the bike leg as part of a relay team. My brother is trying to get me into triathlons and thinks doing a relay will be the gateway drug to get me hooked. Good luck to you on your first 1/2 IM. I will be fine once I get on the bike and ride, but I am a bit amped up right now as it will be my first race of any kind. I will just be trying to ride smart and not make any dumb first timer mistakes.
2015-06-09 2:18 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

If it is any consolation, the run course is about as "friendly" as you will find for any HIM event.  Much of it is shaded and with the T2 change a good part of it is slightly downhill.  It is a very nice run and is one of the things I like best about the Boise venue. 

It seems like it is always windy in Boise.  I think you can pretty much count on some.  If it stays around 10mph that wouldn't be too bad.  There may be some areas with higher gusts.  I am also seeing that the wind may be coming out of the North which could be worse.

Lastly, I see the swim waves are listed on the website.  I didn't realize the waves span from 10:00 to 11:10.  I would hate to have to wait an extra hour after T1 closes.  That could make for a long hot wait for some.  I'm so thankful I'm in the third wave at 10:10. 

2015-06-09 3:04 PM

Ok, thanks for the wind info. Like I said I live in Nevada and you can always count on the wind here. In fact, if it's not windy, there is something wrong. I'll check in with my family and see what they say about the forecast/wind.

Glad the run is shady, the weather here has been really unpredictable lately and have not had to run in the "heat" but for one run. Will be interesting.

Luckily, I am old, so I get to be in the first swim wave. One of the perks of being over 50!

Not sure how I'm going to get through the next few days. Just want to get started!
2015-06-16 4:20 PM

Ok, have to say that I'm glad that's over. I am really glad to have finished. I have never finished a race so far toward the bottom of the finisher's list, but am just glad to have finished since this was my first 1/2 Ironman distance

Hindsight being 20/20, my nutrition and hydration on the bike were poor. I started the run dehydrated and probably needed to eat, but was slightly nauseous and couldn't then battled leg cramps the entire 13.1 miles. Was reduced to a run/walk, but FINISHED within the allotted time.

It was an epic adventure for me, and truth be told, my last at this distance. Going to focus my efforts on sprints and Olympic distance in the future. Much more suited for my short attention span!

Congrats to all to finished and attempted!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Boise : Official Thread Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Boise : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by mrajki
Views: 6161 Posts: 56

2014-09-16 9:55 AM sirdizzy

Ironman 70.3 Boise : Official Thread

Started by popsracer
Views: 3333 Posts: 20

2013-06-10 11:24 AM kmac1346

Ironman 70.3 Boise : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22

Started by popsracer
Views: 38862 Posts: 536

2012-06-20 8:43 AM rbhancock1

Ironman 70.3 Boise : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by mallen4574
Views: 12842 Posts: 62

2011-12-13 4:11 PM PeteDin206

Ironman 70.3 Boise : Official Thread

Started by MDVJR
Views: 2713 Posts: 7

2010-06-14 5:03 PM tastice
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.