General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Iron Man Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-10 12:46 PM

User image

Subject: Half Iron Man
My First Half is coming up in 16weeks need to pick a training plan and work with it from here on in..

what do you think of this one

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2010/09/training/super-simple-ironm...

going to add a bit to it.
Mondays will be rest day but will add a light Strength session in and a OW Swim in the evening
I'll be added a Speed Session in on Tuesday Evening

Saturday cycles at the moment range from 70+ it says 20 miles for the first week or so i'll stick to the

My Tuesday and Thursday Cycles would be 20 - 30min on the Watt bike and then a 30min Spinning Class
as i cant get out in the evening most days..

so working it out i should get
4 swims a week
4 runs a week
3 bikes rides a week

Edited by davidfoley 2015-05-10 12:47 PM

2015-05-10 1:59 PM
in reply to: davidfoley

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
Subject: RE: Half Iron Man
I really like this plan. I used it for 2 or 3 HIMs (can't remember). As the intro to the plan points out, it's beauty is it's simplicity. You sort of know what to expect each week. In terms of volume, it is right around the middle but with your additions you should be more than good.

I actually took 3rd in my AG at Beach to Battleship (a smaller, regional race compared to the M dots) using this plan but that was more of a surprise than a planned goal. Since then I have hired a coach so I don't use this one anymore.
2015-05-10 4:55 PM

Bismarck, ND
I am currently using this for my first HIM. I was wondering the same thing. However, I won't be adding too much into it except for maybe some yoga.

I am mostly concerned about the swim. I need more help with swim technique then just putting in the distance. I am trying to get a hold of some coaches but would like to have a plan to follow.
2015-05-11 10:03 AM
in reply to: smoom

I'm using it.
I'm a completer, though, not a competer. That's why it real appeals to me.

I'm actually feeling pretty confident with it.
I was going to actually dial it back some....being just a completer. I figure if I run 8 of those miles and trot/walk the rest, I'll be more than happy. But, now that I'm getting up there, I forget which week, but I ran 11 Saturday after the prescribed swim....and did it in just over 9 minute miles (not only that but the course I'm running these days takes me to about the highest elevation point I can get to by bike or foot. Not totally intentional. I just happen to live at the bottom of essentially the low point in the area. Sure, I could run in circles down here in the valley, but that'd get awfully boring.

In the end, I don't think I'll dial back. For one, I've shown I can do it. Running was my biggest concern. Once I got started I'd only run 8-9 miles maybe 2-3 times. I figure no need to dial back as I'm going to miss something at some point. I'll count that as dialing back. I wiped out on the bike yesterday, so I'm not sure what this week will look like. It is a 'recovery' week, so I got that going for me.

2015-05-11 10:36 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by jhaack39

I think I am somewhere in between. First and foremost I want to finish. But my competitive nature says I have to try to compete. I know I will never be great at this. Does that make me a completitor?

Anyway, quick question. Many plans I see look too easy in the first few weeks. Dialing it down doesn't seem to make much sense. I have 18 weeks until my next race with only a bike ride (Tour de Cure for the American Diabetes Association) coming up in four weeks. My thought would be to continue to train for Tour and then jump into this on week three.

Does that make any sense?
2015-05-11 10:45 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

Originally posted by Stuartap

I think I am somewhere in between. First and foremost I want to finish. But my competitive nature says I have to try to compete. I know I will never be great at this. Does that make me a completitor?

Anyway, quick question. Many plans I see look too easy in the first few weeks. Dialing it down doesn't seem to make much sense. I have 18 weeks until my next race with only a bike ride (Tour de Cure for the American Diabetes Association) coming up in four weeks. My thought would be to continue to train for Tour and then jump into this on week three.

Makes total sense to me. I'm doing all this because "I can". 3 years and a 100 lbs. ago, I couldn't even trot the swim distance. I actually didn't start following the plan "to a T", so to speak, for a couple weeks. Because the time/calorie burn was less than my regular routine. I just started switching out some weight training for more pool time and spin bike time. A couple weeks in and the plan was outpacing my regular workouts and I switched over.

Now that I see that having a plan "works"....and my body is responding....you bet I will be pushing myself. I'd always made goals of "running the entire run" for the previous events I've done. While I'm not quite to that point for a half....I'm not at all ruling it out. I'm pretty sure if I follow the plan that I would physically be able to do it. I'll just need to convince the brain that I want to do it. That's all part of the plan, right?

2015-05-11 12:15 PM

Bismarck, ND

Originally posted by Stuartap

Makes total sense to me. I'm doing all this because "I can". 3 years and a 100 lbs. ago, I couldn't even trot the swim distance. I actually didn't start following the plan "to a T", so to speak, for a couple weeks. Because the time/calorie burn was less than my regular routine. I just started switching out some weight training for more pool time and spin bike time. A couple weeks in and the plan was outpacing my regular workouts and I switched over.

Now that I see that having a plan "works"....and my body is responding....you bet I will be pushing myself. I'd always made goals of "running the entire run" for the previous events I've done. While I'm not quite to that point for a half....I'm not at all ruling it out. I'm pretty sure if I follow the plan that I would physically be able to do it. I'll just need to convince the brain that I want to do it. That's all part of the plan, right?

I'm just curious
2015-05-11 12:19 PM

Bismarck, ND
I'd always made goals of "running the entire run" for the previous events I've done. While I'm not quite to that point for a half....I'm not at all ruling it out. I'm pretty sure if I follow the plan that I would physically be able to do it. I'll just need to convince the brain that I want to do it. That's all part of the plan, right?

I'm just curious, why is this always a variable or issue. (the "running the whole thing"). Ever Since, I have been running longer distances, I have followed a walk/run method. My HM, I ran 3:15/45 sec (run/walk). Maybe I am asking because I am a bit insecure about this but I haven't quite figured out why some people think that they have failed if they walk a bit.
2015-05-11 12:57 PM
in reply to: 0

I wouldn't think of it as failure. For me, finishing and finishing "strong" (as determined by me and me only) is my goal. That may or may not include running the entire portion.
I've looked at the run/walk thing. My wife is fiddling around with it. It makes sense to me, I just don't have the guts or focus to try it. I'm starting to enjoy putting my earbuds in and going.

The first tri I ever did ended with a 4 mile run. Whole thing was longer than a sprint, but not quite an Olympic. Probably 80% of an Olympic.
I had originally signed up for a sprint, but by confluence of events, I had to bow out. This one was two weeks after, and I signed up for it. Not knowing that it was a bit longer.

When I had signed up for the original sprint, I had never "RUN". I mean, I'd done some on a treadmill...here and there...as part of serious weightloss. I suppose I tried 'jogging' back in middle school and they probably made me run in grade school....but that was it. I had recently been 300 lbs.

4 miles seemed daunting. Being that my base was "zero". And, yes....as I prepared I was up to running 4 miles. I even essentially did the whole distance once a couple weeks before. So, I was fairly confident a few weeks out. But a few months out? No clue.

For the first Olympic I did.....6 miles seemed overwhelming. Until I made the hop from 4 to 6. There's definitely a marginal cost of adding a few more miles once you're doing "several". And while I was confident I could run it all, I had never put all the distances together.

Same for a half this summer. Even 3 years ago when I committed to fitness, 10+ miles on fresh legs in perfect weather would have seemed impossible. If I do things right between now and then, and I do things right "on the day" and nothing too terribly out my control happens that I can't overcome....I have some confidence. But, there's any number of things beyond my control that could keep me from doing it. I won't consider it a failure at all. If I do, hey....good on me. It's not even totally a goal, I suppose. Sort of a phantom goal.

Edited by jhaack39 2015-05-11 12:57 PM
2015-05-11 1:21 PM
in reply to: brreems

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by brreems

I'd always made goals of "running the entire run" for the previous events I've done. While I'm not quite to that point for a half....I'm not at all ruling it out. I'm pretty sure if I follow the plan that I would physically be able to do it. I'll just need to convince the brain that I want to do it. That's all part of the plan, right?

I'm just curious, why is this always a variable or issue. (the "running the whole thing"). Ever Since, I have been running longer distances, I have followed a walk/run method. My HM, I ran 3:15/45 sec (run/walk). Maybe I am asking because I am a bit insecure about this but I haven't quite figured out why some people think that they have failed if they walk a bit.

Those really high achievers like to think that way. I think it's fine to use a run/walk ratio the first few miles after T2 and if the legs are there, focus on running the remainder of the half marathon and have a really good negative split.
2015-05-11 2:11 PM
in reply to: kloofyroland

Bismarck, ND
Like I said before, I have always done a walk/run. It is around a 3/1-4/1 (run/walk). But, on 5ks I usually do 9/1 or so. On a few of my brick workouts last year, I decided to try to just continue to run the whole thing and I found out that i was considerably more tired AND slower than if I had stuck with a 3/1.

I have also tried a couple races with just trying to maintain my goal pace and I have not been able to maintain it but I almost always PR with a walk/run. I guess I get a little defensive when people ask "did you run the WHOLE thing". I just have to run my own race and forget about the naysayers.

I think it is awesome to have a goal, no matter what that goal is. I am driven by goals. I'm a numbers person so I usually have some sort of time goal but if you want your goal to be to run the whole thing, I nor anyone else should question it.

2015-05-11 2:34 PM
in reply to: kloofyroland

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by kloofyroland
Originally posted by brreems I'd always made goals of "running the entire run" for the previous events I've done. While I'm not quite to that point for a half....I'm not at all ruling it out. I'm pretty sure if I follow the plan that I would physically be able to do it. I'll just need to convince the brain that I want to do it. That's all part of the plan, right? I'm just curious, why is this always a variable or issue. (the "running the whole thing"). Ever Since, I have been running longer distances, I have followed a walk/run method. My HM, I ran 3:15/45 sec (run/walk). Maybe I am asking because I am a bit insecure about this but I haven't quite figured out why some people think that they have failed if they walk a bit.
Those really high achievers like to think that way. I think it's fine to use a run/walk ratio the first few miles after T2 and if the legs are there, focus on running the remainder of the half marathon and have a really good negative split.

Eh, some people like to make these artificial constructs for themselves. No need to follow that. Do what you need to best get to the finish line.

2015-05-11 4:41 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Good to know people used this plan before.

my biggest worry at the moment is that this is the only race i am doing this year due to time and family.

i was running 10 miles on Sundays up till about 3 weeks ago when i had a new born.. so im finding it hard at the moment to get out on the weekends

I am planning on getting out and doing either a 56k or a 47k Cycle after work

and hope to get out for a 90k over the week end with a 7mile run
2015-07-17 1:43 PM

I am into Week 5 of this plan and have been following it pretty strictly as far as the workouts and mileage, but I have been switching some of the days. Running is the toughest for me, and I find it easier to do a bike workout and a swim on the same day as opposed to a run/swim. Further, the Sunday workout is a long run and a long swim. After doing the run, going to the pool is hard to motivate for. A couple of times, I will just knock it out Monday.

My question is that is there any advantage to the way the plan is structured in terms of the bike workouts being solo and the run/swims combined in a day? I suspect the answer is that as long as I am getting after it and getting it in, I am good to go, but I am still pretty new to the sport (this will be my first HIM).

I do like the straightforwardness of the plan; easy to track if sometimes monotonous.
2015-07-17 1:55 PM
in reply to: nickfreshman

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I don't see any issue with switching things up like that if it fits your personal schedule better.  Good luck with the rest of the plan and keep us updated.  

2015-07-17 3:14 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by axteraa

I don't see any issue with switching things up like that if it fits your personal schedule better.  Good luck with the rest of the plan and keep us updated.  

Agree, but will add that you may want to do the swim before the run. Easier to keep good form while swimming and gets you used to running when tire; the swim can take a lot out of you.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Iron Man Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Half Iron Man running prep for Sept. 11

Started by xeon
Views: 1405 Posts: 14

2010-08-13 12:38 PM newbz

Patriot's Half Iron Man (Williamsburg)

Started by osbornb
Views: 691 Posts: 1

2010-07-19 3:29 PM osbornb

MIghty Man Montauk Half Iron Man

Started by mscotthall
Views: 995 Posts: 3

2008-09-23 11:09 AM mburkhart

First Half Iron Man

Started by Badger99
Views: 1602 Posts: 16

2008-09-24 6:38 PM bigfella3

Half Iron Man

Started by Ken
Views: 1082 Posts: 8

2004-12-08 12:17 AM webguy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 20, 2014
author : leighdodd
comments : 0
My issue is that I am currently deployed and training outside is proving difficult, especially on the bike. I have found a safe 10km running loop but I am struggling with the bike training.

date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.
date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.

date : May 30, 2005
author : infosteward
comments : 5
All you have to do is say you’re a triathlete and you intimidate the whole world. No matter how much you bench press or what you lift or how many squats you can do.
date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.