General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "My athlete live" -- price doubled? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-11 4:09 PM

User image

New user
Subject: "My athlete live" -- price doubled?
I used My Athlete Live last year at a race so my family could track me and I was happy with the experience. I just went to the website to order for the same race this year, and see that the price has doubled. I checked my receipt from last year. It was $29.95 + $15.00 shipping. Now it's $59.95 (I didn't order but I assume the shipping will be the same). That's whack.

2015-05-11 4:25 PM
in reply to: braciole

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: "My athlete live" -- price doubled?

It sounds like they got rid of the "event only" rental fee and everything is now a full week, hence the change from your rental last year to this year's standard price. It also looks like they are no longer shipping directly to your race hotel, you will get it shipped to your home a week prior to your event.

http://www.myathletelive.com/news/2015/1/2/myathlete-live-news-2015.html 

2015-05-11 5:00 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

New user
Originally posted by lisac957

It sounds like they got rid of the "event only" rental fee and everything is now a full week, hence the change from your rental last year to this year's standard price. It also looks like they are no longer shipping directly to your race hotel, you will get it shipped to your home a week prior to your event.

http://www.myathletelive.com/news/2015/1/2/myathlete-live-news-2015.html 

ahh, i see, thanks for sending that. i didn't do any digging on the website. a little confusing because the options drop down when you order says "single event -- one week" which i guess through me off a bit. good on them for adding that too.

i wonder if the earlier shipping will cut down on the shipping cost and therefore the cost differential from last year. should, right? the website mentions that as a possibility.
2015-05-11 10:12 PM
in reply to: #5114589

User image

Extreme Veteran
What was the actual device?

My husband has one of these for dirt biking and it sends emails with maps of where he is either at a set interval or when he chooses and sends a not okay message if needed. Could be an option- it's not that much more than a rental. We got it years ago for use in areas with poor cell coverage. Not sure how it apples to the rules.
2015-05-11 10:12 PM
in reply to: #5114678

User image

Extreme Veteran
2015-05-12 7:46 AM
in reply to: #5114679

User image

New user
The device is a smal locator thingy that you clip around your waist. It's a little bigger than one of the devices to use to open car doors etc. No active usage options. You just leave it on, and the app will show where you are on the course. The company overlays the course route into a map.

Thanks for that link. I may check it out.

2015-05-12 8:00 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

Bismarck, ND
That's really neat. How does it show the location? Is it on an aerial map?
2015-05-12 8:02 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Moonrocket

What was the actual device?

My husband has one of these for dirt biking and it sends emails with maps of where he is either at a set interval or when he chooses and sends a not okay message if needed. Could be an option- it's not that much more than a rental. We got it years ago for use in areas with poor cell coverage. Not sure how it apples to the rules.

I've been looking for something like this for a long time. Do I assume correctly that it's just a GPS transmitter? How does someone on the other end track it?
What I've found to be a problem is that the person on the other end needs cell/data service to be able to track devices. If this is different it might be a great thing for those back woods XC trails.
2015-05-12 8:11 AM
in reply to: pwoolson

User image

I've been watching these for a while. I would be interested in buying one, but they have them listed as coming soon for purchase for at least the last year.
2015-05-12 11:10 AM
in reply to: brreems

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Originally posted by brreems That's really neat. How does it show the location? Is it on an aerial map?
Yes, there's an overhead MapQuest map with the course marked - it shows your current position on the map.  There is also a profile display that shows the elevation of the course and where you are from a side view of the course.  It uses cell towers to track your location, so it will only work on a course that has decent cell coverage.

I used it two years ago at IMCDA and will be using it again this year.  It was great because my family could go do stuff in the park and shops and return to the course every time they saw I was coming into town.  Also friends and relatives from all over the country were able to check in on my progress... or lack thereof.

2015-05-12 12:27 PM
in reply to: PrivateIdaho

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
kinda of an interesting device. $60 seems like a lot unless you doing a IM or something. Does anyone know if there is an app for smart phone that will basically do the same thing? really that is all you need and if you got the smart phone already.

2015-05-12 12:41 PM
in reply to: braciole

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
I have used the device in 2 70.3 events and it works GREAT. There's a free app for iphone (and likely android too). Little google looking map and it literally tracks you in real time to the point my family could see I was passing the intersection before them and knew when to be ready to see me- unlike Ironman trackers with delays- this thing is in real time. Works where there is cell coverage. Does not work well where there's no coverage.
2015-05-12 12:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by taylorz13 I have used the device in 2 70.3 events and it works GREAT. There's a free app for iphone (and likely android too). Little google looking map and it literally tracks you in real time to the point my family could see I was passing the intersection before them and knew when to be ready to see me- unlike Ironman trackers with delays- this thing is in real time. Works where there is cell coverage. Does not work well where there's no coverage.

Ditto here. I've used it twice for IM distances. For me it's worth every penny. My family travels across the country to see me so the least I can do is pay $60 so they know exactly where I am and make it easy for them to see me on the course.

The app even tells viewers how fast you're going - which is great for approximating when you'll arrive to a certain area. So when I was stopped in a porta potty apparently it said I was moving 0 mph 

Edited by lisac957 2015-05-12 1:00 PM
2015-05-13 8:05 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

Originally posted by chirunner134

kinda of an interesting device. $60 seems like a lot unless you doing a IM or something. Does anyone know if there is an app for smart phone that will basically do the same thing? really that is all you need and if you got the smart phone already.

I know I am a bit out of date w/ this stuff, but do you really have your phone w/ you during a race?
2015-05-13 8:14 AM
in reply to: #5114589

User image

New user
The athlete does not need a phone to use it. The athlete clips it around the waste (like a race belt for a bib). It weighs next to nothing and I had no issues with bounce in the run. Family and friends download the app and can view your status on their phones while you race. Or you can watch on a website.

Very user friendly, and it was accurate. It definitely delivered as advertised.

I believe there are Garmin running/biking devices that basically do the same thing. I'm not sure which ones they are though and I don't have one. I use a 310xt which does not have that feature.

I used it before for an HIM. Deciding now whether to use it again this year for the same HIM. I definitely plan to use it for IMLP this year.
2015-05-13 9:32 AM
in reply to: 5stones

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by 5stones

I know I am a bit out of date w/ this stuff, but do you really have your phone w/ you during a race?

I never had personally. I seen people who do. my first marathon in 2004 I saw 2 people makes calls. 1 actually called someone to brag that they are doing the marathon. Other person answered and told them they are busy and would call them back later.

Many people use their phones for GPS running/biking. That is why I was thinking there would be an alternative using your phone but the battery life might not be there for the marathon/HIM for biking/running part.

In response to Chicago Marathon 2007 and the debated followed there was a lot of talking that you should have your own water, phone, and money on you during a race. Water bottles I can see and are unofficially required for ultra marathons. Depends on my condition for my next marathon I might carry my phone with me just in case, but that is only if I am racing the cut off and assume I will lose it.

2015-05-13 10:27 AM
in reply to: 5stones

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by 5stones
Originally posted by chirunner134 kinda of an interesting device. $60 seems like a lot unless you doing a IM or something. Does anyone know if there is an app for smart phone that will basically do the same thing? really that is all you need and if you got the smart phone already.

I wouldn't say it's a "need" but it seems chirunner was asking if there was an existing app where you could throw your cell phone in a race belt pouch and cover the same functionality as the personal GPS we're talking about... it would be pretty ideal. I don't think anything cell/app based like that exists, at least that works as accurately as myAthlete Live.

As for other races, I carry my phone on every run race - I also do this in training. No biggie for me and has helped me a ton - I'm able to quickly text my family what mile I'm in so they can plan accordingly, or find out where they are in a sea of 1000s at the finish line (I've NOT done this a few times and literally spent hours trying to find my people, that stinks). Whatever works!

2015-05-13 2:48 PM

User image

if you have a 920 it works great, or has for me with live track
2015-05-14 6:49 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

New user
Pleasant Grove, Utah
I used Garmin's Live Track on the Connect app the other day paired with my Fenix 2 and it accomplished basically the same thing as this tracker. Heavy drain on the phone battery though.

Doesn't Ironman post split times on the website...so family could track an athlete as they pass through the various split locations along the course?
2015-05-14 9:15 AM
in reply to: CRS

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by CRS Doesn't Ironman post split times on the website...so family could track an athlete as they pass through the various split locations along the course?

They do, but A) there are only a handful of timing mats on the course, so your family will only get notifications a handful of times. And B) they are notorious for failing or updates being delayed for hours (or days in some cases). Not very useful for anyone interested in tracking you on the course.

With the technology we're talking about on this thread, your spectators have access to real time data on your location (with your moving 'dot' laid over the actual race course map so you can accurately predict future arrivals), your moving speed, etc. - at any given second you are on the course. Pretty cool.

2015-05-14 11:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Glympse

https://www.glympse.com/what-is-glympse

Not practical over super long distances, as it can drain the battery, but I've fired it up during a marathon to show my wife where I'm at.  Won't show the course route either.

2015-05-14 7:35 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Master

I installed GPS Tracking on my sons I-phone when he started driving. It does a pretty good job of letting me know where he is located.
2015-05-15 7:51 AM
in reply to: pschriver

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
Does anyone know of a product that doesn't require good cell reception on the other end? We're often in somewhat remote locations where cell coverage is spotty at best, and data simply doesn't exist.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "My athlete live" -- price doubled? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Gu Brew price doubled !?

Started by cialome
Views: 923 Posts: 1

2015-04-02 10:56 AM cialome

My Athlete Live?

Started by jsnowash
Views: 4420 Posts: 9

2012-08-21 7:05 AM h2ofun

Bike gearing Double, Triple or Compact Double? Pages: 1 2

Started by chevy57
Views: 4866 Posts: 36