General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you carry a flat tire changing kit during your Tri Race? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2015-05-16 11:30 PM

User image

Vancouver, British Columbia
Subject: Do you carry a flat tire changing kit during your Tri Race?
This might seem like a stupid question for those who are quick at changing flats, but for me, I'm slow at it and my race would probably be done if I got a flat. So I ask myself, is it worth the extra weight to carry?

I've got the little zipper bag that straps onto the seat post, In there is a tube a few plastic tire levers and a CO2 canister.

Of course, on long traing rides carrying the kit makes total sense, but for a race, so much time would be lost changing your tire, that I don't know if it is worth it?

My race is in 2 days. This is only my 3rd Sprint, so I'm still learning lots of things...

2015-05-16 11:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Do you carry a flat tire changing kit during your Tri Race?
Yes. The 8 ozs of extra weight is not going to make or break your day at all. A lot of races don't have bike support or the ones that do, they just don't show up (at least the ones I've been to). Last year I had it bad. Both my spares came off somewhere and I got a flat naturally (first one ever during a race). Result: me walking 5 miles back to transition. I knew I wasn't going to place with the flat (was going to be my first race where I was going to place though!) but not having to walk 5 miles in my socks/bare feet sure would have been nice.

Edited by Blastman 2015-05-16 11:57 PM
2015-05-16 11:58 PM
in reply to: WhiteCatzs

User image

Yes I do. The biggest reason for bringing it is that I don't see any benefit from not bringing it
I, like you, will not compete for any podium finishes and carrying that extra few grams will not be noticeable at all neither on my legs nor my time.

Even if your race is "done" if you get a flat, I would much rather be able to fix my tire and ride back than to have to wait for the sweeper car (if your race has any) or to walk back.

Good luck at your race!!
2015-05-17 1:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Every time.

Even if I was to lose 5-10 minutes, the race is still happening, I still get to bike, I still get to run, I still get to finish.

Plus, who would want to walk back half-way through a bike course cause they didn't carry a spare even if they DID call it quits.

Practice your changes, carry the spare
2015-05-17 4:42 AM
in reply to: dfquigley

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Yes - even if you decide not to finish, 10k is a long walk in bike shoes or barefoot.

Shane
2015-05-17 5:12 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

At first I would take my little saddle bag off, then I realised it probably didn't make any difference and just left it on, and I guess I'd rather mess around for 5-10 mins fixing it than walk back

2015-05-17 7:00 AM

User image

I don't for sprints. The chance of getting a flat are slim so I go without.
2015-05-17 9:20 AM
in reply to: engima

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
I can't think of one good reason not to bring it with you. Even if you race is done and you don't want to finish at least you aren't pushing your bike and walking back to transition.
2015-05-17 10:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

For an Ironman or half-Iron race I do.  For a sprint or oly I don't.  Spending a couple of minutes changing a tire for a 56 or 112 mile bike ride is not that big a deal.  I could arguably make that up by cycling harder for a little bit after my "rest" during the flat repair. I could also save the same amount of time by not stopping at a port-a-potty and just peeing on myself. 

For a sprint or oly that 2-3 minutes could mean the difference between podium and 20th place in my AG.  So I'd just DNF a sprint or oly race if I got a flat.

2015-05-17 12:57 PM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
I have the bag under the seat like you do and a pump on my downtube. I may be a BOBOPer, but I'd much rather change a tube and ride the rest of the way in as opposed to walking.
2015-05-17 2:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Definitely not into walking back, always carry tube repair and CO2.

Edited by Pete1234 2015-05-17 2:09 PM

2015-05-17 4:18 PM
in reply to: Pete1234

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Originally posted by Pete1234

Definitely not into walking back, always carry tube repair and CO2.

X2. I haven't had a flat in a race but did have a bad wreck. Had to work on my bike for about the amount of time it takes to change a flat. I still came in third. Never count yourself out.
2015-05-17 6:34 PM

User image

Yup...I rather ride back to transition than walk.  Even if you did catch a ride from someone, it may be difficult given possible road closures.  you still need to pick up your stuff from transition and return your chip...I rather have my bike in working order through that process instead of having to push around a bike with a flat.

2015-05-17 6:35 PM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Probably also worth mentioning that a well thought out flat kit should not result in much aerodynamic penalty and the added weight is completely meaningless so there's really no downside to carrying one.

Shane
2015-05-17 8:36 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Originally posted by gsmacleod

Probably also worth mentioning that a well thought out flat kit should not result in much aerodynamic penalty and the added weight is completely meaningless so there's really no downside to carrying one.

Shane

All good points!
But still, I don't care. The weight penalty isn't completely meaningless, though. It is there and it is probably smaller than I imagine (but perhaps more than you think). When I jump into a race (and I only race short stuff where a flat is game over), I get a big mental boost thinking that I am in all out race mode. Sure, I don't have the best bike or the fastest gear, but I know that I'm also not dragging around some mass that can only slow me down.
2015-05-18 7:17 AM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by dfroelich

Originally posted by gsmacleod

Shane

All good points!
But still, I don't care. The weight penalty isn't completely meaningless, though. It is there and it is probably smaller than I imagine (but perhaps more than you think). When I jump into a race (and I only race short stuff where a flat is game over), I get a big mental boost thinking that I am in all out race mode. Sure, I don't have the best bike or the fastest gear, but I know that I'm also not dragging around some mass that can only slow me down.

Unless your being knocked off the podium by 5 seconds or less, not carrying the kit to change a flat seems silly. If you do enough races you will flat eventually and without that kit you have a lot of walking to do.

2015-05-18 7:20 AM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by gsmacleod Probably also worth mentioning that a well thought out flat kit should not result in much aerodynamic penalty and the added weight is completely meaningless so there's really no downside to carrying one. Shane
All good points! But still, I don't care. The weight penalty isn't completely meaningless, though. It is there and it is probably smaller than I imagine (but perhaps more than you think). When I jump into a race (and I only race short stuff where a flat is game over), I get a big mental boost thinking that I am in all out race mode. Sure, I don't have the best bike or the fastest gear, but I know that I'm also not dragging around some mass that can only slow me down.

Yes, in the context of the race, it's meaningless.  Not carrying one is silly.

2015-05-18 7:52 AM
in reply to: mike761

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mike761
Originally posted by gsmacleod Probably also worth mentioning that a well thought out flat kit should not result in much aerodynamic penalty and the added weight is completely meaningless so there's really no downside to carrying one. Shane
All good points! But still, I don't care. The weight penalty isn't completely meaningless, though. It is there and it is probably smaller than I imagine (but perhaps more than you think). When I jump into a race (and I only race short stuff where a flat is game over), I get a big mental boost thinking that I am in all out race mode. Sure, I don't have the best bike or the fastest gear, but I know that I'm also not dragging around some mass that can only slow me down.
Unless your being knocked off the podium by 5 seconds or less, not carrying the kit to change a flat seems silly. If you do enough races you will flat eventually and without that kit you have a lot of walking to do.

I've missed the overall by 2 seconds at a race before and there is no way I would not carry one. Keep it small, hide it well, and the actual loss from it will be practically nothing. Getting rid of the kit entirely is not one of the dozen things to do to add up to a faster race.

2015-05-18 2:22 PM
in reply to: #5116033

User image

Absolutely. I have crap luck and have flatted numerous times. I seem to constantly chase the gremlins!
2015-05-18 2:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I have thought about not carrying them for a sprint but as others have said, why not? The weight is insignificant for a MOP guy like me. Even with a slow change I would still like to finish the race.

Take them along. If it happens they accept the fact that you are not going to PR and enjoy the rest of the event.

2015-05-18 3:04 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

2015-05-18 3:05 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Yes, I train with my flat kit in my bag under the seat, and I race with it also

2015-05-18 3:07 PM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
I never carry a change kit because I am completely incapable of changing a tire.
2015-05-18 3:53 PM
in reply to: Swimbikeron

User image

Cypress, Texas

I have never regretted bringing something I didn't need.  Only needing something I decided not to bring.  

2015-05-18 4:33 PM
in reply to: Swimbikeron

User image

Regular
Oregon
Originally posted by Swimbikeron

I never carry a change kit because I am completely incapable of changing a tire.

I feel the same way, and yet I bring it hoping that if I did get a flat, some good samaritan might help me if I had the gear. Or I might learn on the fly.

serious question here, can I practice changing a "flat tire" before I actually get a flat? Is this something I can just do at home with a working tire?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you carry a flat tire changing kit during your Tri Race? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Do you carry a spare Tire(during IM race)

Started by dkahns51
Views: 3230 Posts: 21

2013-06-21 7:12 AM mcmanusclan5

First flat tire - repair kit help? Pages: 1 2

Started by joestop74
Views: 6706 Posts: 28

2012-10-25 1:28 PM bufordt

Help!! Cannot change flat tire

Started by dbw27
Views: 1412 Posts: 19

2009-04-26 1:02 PM jimmyb

How to change a flat back tire?

Started by billsfan200474
Views: 1479 Posts: 6

2008-03-15 2:30 PM billsfan200474

Free advice for those that fear changing their flat tires

Started by Spokes
Views: 1369 Posts: 13

2007-07-14 3:08 PM JoshKaptur
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.

date : September 9, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 10
This video will go through everything you need to know to change your flat tire. See one being changed in about a minute - no reason to lose a lot of time on race day if you practiced.
date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
What are the essential mechanical/maintenance skills that I as someone who rides a bike should learn how to do myself?

date : September 16, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
In part two of this series of common roadside bike repairs, we show you how to fix a flat tire. Though if you're lucky, a bicycle repairman will wheel by at just the right time.
date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.

date : January 1, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
We will take a peek into the lowly saddlebag to see what needs to be in there in case of emergency. Much of this may be common sense, some might surprise you, and some are simply just my opinion.
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.

date : September 10, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 12
This video tutorial will show you how to fix a flat tire and also how to change the tire itself. Don't wait until you're out on the course at the races to learn how.