General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you carry a flat tire changing kit during your Tri Race? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2015-05-18 4:35 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Do you carry a flat tire changing kit during your Tri Race?

Originally posted by mike761
Originally posted by dfroelich
Originally posted by gsmacleod Probably also worth mentioning that a well thought out flat kit should not result in much aerodynamic penalty and the added weight is completely meaningless so there's really no downside to carrying one. Shane
All good points! But still, I don't care. The weight penalty isn't completely meaningless, though. It is there and it is probably smaller than I imagine (but perhaps more than you think). When I jump into a race (and I only race short stuff where a flat is game over), I get a big mental boost thinking that I am in all out race mode. Sure, I don't have the best bike or the fastest gear, but I know that I'm also not dragging around some mass that can only slow me down.
Unless your being knocked off the podium by 5 seconds or less, not carrying the kit to change a flat seems silly. If you do enough races you will flat eventually and without that kit you have a lot of walking to do.

and it won't even cost you 5 seconds

2015-05-18 4:46 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by gsmacleod Probably also worth mentioning that a well thought out flat kit should not result in much aerodynamic penalty and the added weight is completely meaningless so there's really no downside to carrying one. Shane
All good points! But still, I don't care. The weight penalty isn't completely meaningless, though. It is there and it is probably smaller than I imagine (but perhaps more than you think). When I jump into a race (and I only race short stuff where a flat is game over), I get a big mental boost thinking that I am in all out race mode. Sure, I don't have the best bike or the fastest gear, but I know that I'm also not dragging around some mass that can only slow me down.
Unless your being knocked off the podium by 5 seconds or less, not carrying the kit to change a flat seems silly. If you do enough races you will flat eventually and without that kit you have a lot of walking to do.

5 seconds is not nothing. I missed podium in my last TT by that much: https://obra.org/events/24039/resultsIf I would've flatted and spent 5 minutes switching it out, I'd be scrapping for last.

C'mon, someone here has to have the tools to actually calculate this out.
2015-05-18 4:47 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

5 seconds is not nothing. I missed podium in my last TT by that much: https://obra.org/events/24039/resultsIf I would've flatted and spent 5 minutes switching it out, I'd be scrapping for last. C'mon, someone here has to have the tools to actually calculate this out.

I have the tools.  zero seconds.

2015-05-18 5:14 PM

User image

It seems silly to spend money on a lighter bike and then add the weight back on and decrease the aerodynamics with a repair pack. I've been five seconds ahead of third place. If you're not going for the podium, I'd put a kit on.
2015-05-18 5:37 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by b2run It seems silly to spend money on a lighter bike and then add the weight back on and decrease the aerodynamics with a repair pack. I've been five seconds ahead of third place. If you're not going for the podium, I'd put a kit on.

if you put your flat kit on properly it wont cost you any time. it weighs what, 6 ounces?  if you're worrying about that you better also be only filling your water bottle with exactly the amount of water you will consume.  (hint: 6 ounces under your seat post doesn't impact your time in a triathlon)

2015-05-18 5:54 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

5 seconds is not nothing. I missed podium in my last TT by that much: https://obra.org/events/24039/resultsIf I would've flatted and spent 5 minutes switching it out, I'd be scrapping for last. C'mon, someone here has to have the tools to actually calculate this out.

I have the tools.  zero seconds.

-X seconds with the Torhan's VR bottle in the frame V as it's stated that it actually helps decrease aero drag of the frame.  Well at least my frame I know it does!

2015-05-18 6:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by b2run It seems silly to spend money on a lighter bike and then add the weight back on and decrease the aerodynamics with a repair pack. I've been five seconds ahead of third place. If you're not going for the podium, I'd put a kit on.

if you put your flat kit on properly it wont cost you any time. it weighs what, 6 ounces?  if you're worrying about that you better also be only filling your water bottle with exactly the amount of water you will consume.  (hint: 6 ounces under your seat post doesn't impact your time in a triathlon)

I ran the numbers in analytic cycling.  I took the defaults for frontal area, drag, and air density...then zero'd out the slope.  I changed the wattage to 281, which is what I held for 40k a couple weekends ago, where I missed 2nd OA by 2 seconds.  I did have a tube under my saddle, and a lever and CO2 also stored out of the wind.  It was a flat course.

I found that in order to trigger a 0.01 meters per second difference in speed, I would need to increase weight by 1.5 kg.  6 ounces is roughly on tenth of that...or 0.17 kg.

0.01 m/s, under those circumstances and wattage is the difference between 26.21689 mph and 26.19452 mph.  Over the course of 40k (24.85 miles), that's a difference of 3 seconds for 1.5 kg.  So for .15 kg, I suppose we could make the assumption that the speed penalty is closer to 0.3 seconds.

IOW, I missed out by a placing by 2 seconds, carried a flat kit...but it didn't matter.  For races like sprints...that have a shorter bike course...the weight penalty will be even smaller.

I also had a 20 ounce bottle on board when I started...about 40% full.  I only took one big swig and there was likely about 4-6 ounces of water left in the bottle when I finished.  Still not enough to make up those 2 seconds had I calculated properly.

Edited by Jason N 2015-05-18 6:10 PM
2015-05-18 6:13 PM
in reply to: themissj1981

User image

Originally posted by themissj1981 serious question here, can I practice changing a "flat tire" before I actually get a flat? Is this something I can just do at home with a working tire?

You can practice changing tubes/tires as many times as you want at home...even if you don't have a flat.  It's something every new cyclist should do before heading out on the road unless they expect other people to change their flats.  I suppose these days you could watch youtube videos on the side of the road though.

2015-05-18 8:43 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Originally posted by Jason N

I ran the numbers in analytic cycling.  I took the defaults for frontal area, drag, and air density...then zero'd out the slope.  I changed the wattage to 281, which is what I held for 40k a couple weekends ago, where I missed 2nd OA by 2 seconds.  I did have a tube under my saddle, and a lever and CO2 also stored out of the wind.  It was a flat course.

I found that in order to trigger a 0.01 meters per second difference in speed, I would need to increase weight by 1.5 kg.  6 ounces is roughly on tenth of that...or 0.17 kg.

0.01 m/s, under those circumstances and wattage is the difference between 26.21689 mph and 26.19452 mph.  Over the course of 40k (24.85 miles), that's a difference of 3 seconds for 1.5 kg.  So for .15 kg, I suppose we could make the assumption that the speed penalty is closer to 0.3 seconds.

IOW, I missed out by a placing by 2 seconds, carried a flat kit...but it didn't matter.  For races like sprints...that have a shorter bike course...the weight penalty will be even smaller.

I also had a 20 ounce bottle on board when I started...about 40% full.  I only took one big swig and there was likely about 4-6 ounces of water left in the bottle when I finished.  Still not enough to make up those 2 seconds had I calculated properly.

Thanks for the link!
I was trying to put stuff into the free version of BBS and was not having much luck. I have been plugging in a bunch of numbers here: http://www.analyticcycling.com/ForcesLessWeight_Page.htmland am assuming 250g for the kit. With my estimates on a flat 20k, and rough (unfortunately the norm around here) roads, it looks like 0.6s. Smooth roads is about half that.
However, my last TT that I linked about wasn't flat. I recorded it at 938ft over 12.6 miles, or about 1.4% average climb. That models out to 2.4s or 1.8 on asphalt. I imagine the Crr is somewhere in between, so I'll WAG that I saved about 2s by leaving the kit in the car.

So, depending on if you are riding a flat or hilly TT, its worth a look to check out the numbers. Looking back, I'd probably add in the kit for my first TT this year (almost flat), be on the fence for this last hilly one, but the hill climb coming up...no way. That 250g is worth 9s.
2015-05-18 10:52 PM

Master
Northern IL

Sure hope this much thought is going into training too.

2015-05-19 8:47 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by themissj1981 serious question here, can I practice changing a "flat tire" before I actually get a flat? Is this something I can just do at home with a working tire?

You can practice changing tubes/tires as many times as you want at home...even if you don't have a flat.  It's something every new cyclist should do before heading out on the road unless they expect other people to change their flats.  I suppose these days you could watch youtube videos on the side of the road though.

Having flatted in both a race and a training ride or 2, this has come in handy for me.  Practice and you may find it to be quite helpful and easy.

2015-05-19 9:42 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Oakville

Originally posted by Donto

X seconds with the Torhan's VR bottle in the frame V as it's stated that it actually helps decrease aero drag of the frame.  Well at least my frame I know it does!

This^^.  Race kit in the Torhans VR frame mount which I've read is zero aero penalty and may in fact add a watt or two.  

I had the first flat of my race career last year and glad I had the spare kit.  It was a sprint so I was out of contention for the podium but the 2 km walk back in cycling shoes would have been a pain. 

Also, I had my race wheels and would have had to carry my frame as I would not have risked rolling the flatted tire/rim on the pavement.  

2015-05-19 2:30 PM
in reply to: WhiteCatzs

User image

Bronze member

Did not read all the replies so sorry in advance if this has already been covered BUT, I quit carrying my flat stuff thinking the same thing you stated. I'm slow at changing flats, race would be over etc. Then I got a flat in a sprint right after the halfway turn around and I had no way to get back! Lucky for me the RD's son was kind enough to stop and text his Dad to send a vehicle to come pick me up. A few miles down the road there was another guy with a flat who needed a ride. So, now I carry my stuff  .

2015-05-19 3:08 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

How do you feel about not finishing a race?  The DNF lasts as long as the race results, and even longer in your head.  

What would I gain by not carrying the kit?  I'd shave a few ounces (less than the difference caused by my diet) and theoretically cleaner aerodynamics (again...my physique could be far more optimized).  

What do I lose by not carrying the kit?  Flat=DNF and possibly a long walk back.  

I'm a MOP triathlete.  Even if it takes me 5 minutes to change out the tube in a sprint, I still return to a comfortable house, stable job, and people who love me.  

2015-05-19 3:39 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Veteran
Ellicott City, MD
Yes. I had a flat in a triathlon before I knew how to change one properly. I had the supplies, but fumbled the entire process, and got a DNF. I never want to have that feeling again. I walked a bit, and eventually got picked up by the sag vehicle. That was the longest ride of my life.
2015-05-19 3:53 PM

User image

Groningen, Netherlands
Definitely carry it yes. If i flat i see it as good practice to learn how to change a tire under a bit of time pressure. Plus i paid to race all three sports, so im gonna get my moneys worth and finish the race. Only time i will take off the flat kit is in a straight time trial (unless its a big loop, id hate to have to walk all the way back)

Last week i was doing a sportive/fondo/century in the ardennes and about 20k from the end i flatted. I was actually happy because i had recently switched from a frame pump to a co2 pump but i hadnt used it before. Because i was with mates i knew if my pump wouldnt work i could use theirs but mine worked well and now i know how much easier n faster it is like this!

2015-05-19 4:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

I would add that when you practice at home, use the exact tools you'll carry in your bag... If you use CO2 in a crack pipe, practice with that.  It may sound wasteful however they're relatively cheap and they can be tricky.   Depending on how much PSI you run you may run through your CO2 before you're set...If you run into problems with the tube you may have to let air out and start over which all takes CO2... 

As for not carrying a flat kit in a race, as many have said, it comes down to how far you want to walk... If you've ever done it in training or had to wait for your support vehicle to come get you, that's no fun either.

And DNF looks way worse to me than slower splits within the AG... 

2015-05-19 4:13 PM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

why does a DNF look bad?

might be the sign of a smarter racer......

2015-05-19 7:28 PM

Master
Northern IL

why does a DNF look bad?

No kidding. I've DNF'd a few times precisely because it was the smart thing to do.

2015-05-20 5:09 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Originally posted by brigby1

why does a DNF look bad?

No kidding. I've DNF'd a few times precisely because it was the smart thing to do.

Not sure what's smart about it...walking a bike several miles during a race seems kinda dumb.However, I didn't mean a DNF is bad, I meant it doesn't indicate what happened (typically).To each their own..
2015-05-20 7:20 AM
in reply to: TriMike

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TriMike

why does a DNF look bad?

Not sure what's smart about it...walking a bike several miles during a race seems kinda dumb.However, I didn't mean a DNF is bad, I meant it doesn't indicate what happened (typically).To each their own..

Oh, ok. Now see what you meant.

2015-05-20 7:46 AM

, Wisconsin
Lesson learned about a month back . . . walking 5 mi on hot asphalt, sandburs and gravel really chews up bare feet. They were sore for days. I had a tube, levers and new CO2 inflater w/ two cartridges . . . forgot to pack the presta valve adapter!
2015-05-20 10:31 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon

Hahaha...maybe, maybe not!

The difference is that this little problem actually has a clear cut, analytically derived answer. Whether I ride 30 hilly miles tomorrow with lots of starts and stops or pop on the trainer for some IWBMATTKYT, I don't even know how to gauge which will give the better training effect. There's no good wolfram/alpha calculator for that, unfortunately.
2015-05-21 7:17 AM

You should be able to stick a tube, Co2 inflator and a tire iron up under the seat w/o a saddle bag. I get the fact that it is going to cost you 3-5 minutes and if you were expecting to podium that could make or break the race but walking in socks or cycling shoes is not fun.

For those that don't know how to change a tube. Watch a video and learn it is not hard. In my opinion it is a life skill for bike riders.
2015-05-21 8:03 AM

Master
Northern IL

Hahaha...maybe, maybe not! The difference is that this little problem actually has a clear cut, analytically derived answer. Whether I ride 30 hilly miles tomorrow with lots of starts and stops or pop on the trainer for some IWBMATTKYT, I don't even know how to gauge which will give the better training effect. There's no good wolfram/alpha calculator for that, unfortunately.

Well, you can get a decent estimate on the savings, but much of the discussion is more about the value of this savings. It's not monetary in this case, but what is reasonable in being able to take care of getting oneself safely around the course. Anyway, I did find the earlier emphasis on "everything I can" a bit humorous, as in a bit over the top. Especially when so many amateurs could stand to look at their training some more even though it's rather tough (at best) to quantify it to the same degree. I gain more confidence from this than anything else. Plus in being more confident that I can get myself around safely (eg, carrying a flat kit), I'll have more focus on the execution by not having other thoughts wander into my mind. It's easier for me to go harder with that peace of mind. One of the ways people find motivation differently I guess.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you carry a flat tire changing kit during your Tri Race? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Do you carry a spare Tire(during IM race)

Started by dkahns51
Views: 3234 Posts: 21

2013-06-21 7:12 AM mcmanusclan5

First flat tire - repair kit help? Pages: 1 2

Started by joestop74
Views: 6710 Posts: 28

2012-10-25 1:28 PM bufordt

Help!! Cannot change flat tire

Started by dbw27
Views: 1415 Posts: 19

2009-04-26 1:02 PM jimmyb

How to change a flat back tire?

Started by billsfan200474
Views: 1481 Posts: 6

2008-03-15 2:30 PM billsfan200474

Free advice for those that fear changing their flat tires

Started by Spokes
Views: 1371 Posts: 13

2007-07-14 3:08 PM JoshKaptur
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.

date : September 9, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 10
This video will go through everything you need to know to change your flat tire. See one being changed in about a minute - no reason to lose a lot of time on race day if you practiced.
date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
What are the essential mechanical/maintenance skills that I as someone who rides a bike should learn how to do myself?

date : September 16, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
In part two of this series of common roadside bike repairs, we show you how to fix a flat tire. Though if you're lucky, a bicycle repairman will wheel by at just the right time.
date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.

date : January 1, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
We will take a peek into the lowly saddlebag to see what needs to be in there in case of emergency. Much of this may be common sense, some might surprise you, and some are simply just my opinion.
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.

date : September 10, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 12
This video tutorial will show you how to fix a flat tire and also how to change the tire itself. Don't wait until you're out on the course at the races to learn how.