United States
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 36m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Masters
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Hanging in our condo next to the start line, trying to get some breakfast/calories in before heading out. Headed up to the start about 15 minutes prior, dropped off a drop bag and checked in.
Event warmup:

None, other than the walk up to the start line.
Run
  • 6h 36m
  • 31 miles
  • 12m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Spring Superior 50k at Lutsen. Had another fun race up here, enjoyed the day and stayed out of the pain cave for the most part! Took a gamble and dropped the hammer in the first mile, getting ahead of the crowds before the single track and first climb, it paid huge dividends! Last year I stayed towards the back of the crowd and spent the first 7.5 miles behind slow people who couldn't run through mud or run fast downhill. This year no such thing, I had tons of space to myself and no pressure to run fast and no one slowing me down. Was able to keep my time at the aid stations to a minimum, despite wanting to visit with all my trail friends volunteers who greeted me. That's one thing I love about trail running, it's a small community and you really feel the love of all your friends out there, whether they're running or volunteering. And being an out and back course you get to see all your racing friends at some point! Felt pretty good through the first 14 miles, then the climb to Carlton Peak took alot out of me. Got to the peak and spent zero time there, just turned around and headed down. Last year I hung out for 5 minutes and shared a beer with some other runner. Saw Heidi on the way down, a good friend who was running her first 50k and first trail race, she picked a hard one! We ended up meeting up Sawbill aid station and ran most of the last 10 miles together. Got to Oberg feeling a little tired and beat up, the mud and instability of rocks and tree roots were taking their toll on my joints big time. Got my refill on Tailwind, slapped on some Biofreeze on a cramping groin (and Jordan said, "Dude, you're putting that stuff way too high up there, be careful!"), grabbed a couple PB&J's and headed back out for the climb up Moose Mountain. That one was brutal 2nd time around, real slow, never stopped but passed alot of people just doubled over on the side of the trail trying to catch their breath. Hit the top, ran what I could on the ridgeline then blasted down the front side towards the final climb up Mystery Mountain. Met up with Heidi again here until the finish! Slogged up the long, slow switchbacks, passing a ton of 25k'ers, hit the top then found my reserve tank to blast the final 3 miles down to the waterfall and the finish. I love that last descent, it's a ton of fun, not too technical, and even on dead-tired legs it's fast. Good times, I'll see those miles again this fall at the Superior 100!
What would you do differently?:

My training this year has been poor at best. I've been super burned out on running and have not been getting out at all. I ran a marathon in February, got through Rim2Rim2Rim in March and ran about 35 miles of the Miwok 100k two weeks ago. Otherwise hadn't been out on any training runs over 15 miles. But I was already signed up and this is a fun race, so I just went out for a fun day in the woods and mud!
Post race
Warm down:

Not much of a cool-down other than getting some water in, hanging with friends at the finish then getting my compression knickers and calf sleeves on asap, with ice.

Event comments:

This is an awesome race, very well run, if you're looking for a tough spring 50k add this to your list!

Last updated: 2015-05-17 12:00 AM
Running
06:36:00 | 31 miles | 12m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back on the Superior Hiking Trail, starting at Lutsen Ski Resort out to Carlton Peak.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2015-05-17 6:13 PM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
Subject: Superior Spring 50k

2015-05-18 11:40 AM
in reply to: #5116172

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Superior Spring 50k

Nice going on this one! Had signed up for the 25k, but constant run injuries kept me out.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Superior Spring 50k Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Superior Man Triathlon

Started by plalley
Views: 1166 Posts: 1

2012-09-10 10:27 PM plalley

Superior Man Triathlon

Started by Climbinggonzo
Views: 1563 Posts: 4

2012-08-30 7:00 PM jackiep

Superior Man Triathlon

Started by DTraitor
Views: 1767 Posts: 5

2013-03-08 1:50 PM swenso

Yankee Springs 50k Trail Run

Started by yeats
Views: 1529 Posts: 9

2012-01-13 9:48 AM BigDH

Standing Springs Spring Fling

Started by Chaderbox
Views: 1204 Posts: 4

2009-05-04 2:07 AM tritwinmom
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Training in the cold can be effective and fun with some planning. Overall, prepare for the environment, stay hydrated and dry, listen to your body and have a great safe cold weather outing.