General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me.....ive lost my way Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-26 12:05 PM

Subject: Help me.....ive lost my way
Hey Everyone,

Summer of 2013 i was doing sprint triathlons and training for olympic for the following spring. 2014 and most of this year i have totally fallen off of the training/ healthy bandwagon. I am starting to run again but i don't have the drive or motivation and it seems a lot harder than it used too. Can you guys help me get my mindset back on track?

2015-05-26 12:07 PM
in reply to: jobofly

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Help me.....ive lost my way

Originally posted by jobofly Hey Everyone, Summer of 2013 i was doing sprint triathlons and training for olympic for the following spring. 2014 and most of this year i have totally fallen off of the training/ healthy bandwagon. I am starting to run again but i don't have the drive or motivation and it seems a lot harder than it used too. Can you guys help me get my mindset back on track?

Sign up for a race.  Almost always works for me in that situation (and whatever kind of race you most want to do - run, road, tri - whatever would be the most fun).

Matt

2015-05-26 12:19 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by jobofly Hey Everyone, Summer of 2013 i was doing sprint triathlons and training for olympic for the following spring. 2014 and most of this year i have totally fallen off of the training/ healthy bandwagon. I am starting to run again but i don't have the drive or motivation and it seems a lot harder than it used too. Can you guys help me get my mindset back on track?

Sign up for a race.  Almost always works for me in that situation (and whatever kind of race you most want to do - run, road, tri - whatever would be the most fun).

Matt

Yup

2015-05-26 12:25 PM

User image

Post Falls, Idaho
Here's a few ideas:

Set a goal (likely a race) and make a plan to achieve it
Find a training partner to hold you accountable and share experiences
Hire a coach
Go to a clinic
Join a club (tri, group rides, masters swim, whatever...)
Buy a couple new tri toys (hrm, bike ugprade, etc)

Some days will always feel like work, but if overall it's just not something you're interested in then why not go do something else?
2015-05-26 12:25 PM

If you think that signing up for a race will not be enough to motivate you to really start training again...try volunteering for a race. Doesn't even have to be a triathlon, although I think that would be better. Simply feeling the energy from an event could be enough to help you remember why you enjoy racing and get you back out there again.
2015-05-26 12:29 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Yes, sign up for a race--very motivating. And I bet it seems harder simply because you are out of shape. Don't be afraid to start out slowly. It's very easy for me to get up the motivation for a short ride or run, but the fitness benefits are real and I notice rapid improvements-- which in and of itself is very motivating.

2015-05-26 1:02 PM
in reply to: zed707

wow you guys are right. i went and looked at the results of my last triathlon (delta Lake) and that instantly sparked a fire in me. I signed up for 2 triathlons, 1 in 4 weeks and the other in July.

Thanks for your help guys!!!
2015-05-27 10:34 AM

User image

Training partner! My GF pushes me much harder than I would ever push myself and I push her harder than she would push herself. It's great to train with someone likeminded, though sometimes we push each other too hard ;-)
2015-05-27 10:54 AM
in reply to: sdalcher

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Sounds like you are back on track.  It will feel harder than before until you get a base back, but that will happen sooner than you think.  Don't overdo it trying to knock the first tri out of the park.  You are better coming up with a training plan with the second tri as the goal and the first tri as a training race.  If you have the ability to SBR, you'll be able to get through the first tri.  Put your training plan on the calendar and stick to it.  For me, commitment is more important than motivation - commitment is what gets me out  of the bed for a pre-dawn run when I'm motivated to go back to sleep.  Commit to the workout for the day and then all of the days will add up to being ready for the race.

Good luck!

2015-05-27 12:19 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

Originally posted by Hook'em

Sounds like you are back on track.  It will feel harder than before until you get a base back, but that will happen sooner than you think.  Don't overdo it trying to knock the first tri out of the park.  You are better coming up with a training plan with the second tri as the goal and the first tri as a training race.  If you have the ability to SBR, you'll be able to get through the first tri.  Put your training plan on the calendar and stick to it.  For me, commitment is more important than motivation - commitment is what gets me out  of the bed for a pre-dawn run when I'm motivated to go back to sleep.  Commit to the workout for the day and then all of the days will add up to being ready for the race.

Good luck!

i definitely am, i went out for a run last night, nothing crazy just 2 miles and it was tough but definitely easier now that i have something to train for. i am doing a swim tonight. I put together a training plan am using my first tri as a practice. Thanks for your input.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me.....ive lost my way Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Help...I lost my run

Started by kellyclothier
Views: 838 Posts: 3

2008-06-06 3:14 PM Scout7

Ive got a trainer question.

Started by skipg
Views: 679 Posts: 6

2007-11-06 10:33 AM chirunner134

10,000 ways that won't help you improve Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by scoobysdad
Views: 5334 Posts: 112

2007-06-07 7:19 PM cadreamer

Need HR help... I'm lost

Started by twolives1
Views: 628 Posts: 3

2007-02-18 10:18 AM Carl Carlson

I think ive Plateaued already...

Started by tom39
Views: 671 Posts: 2

2005-06-06 5:31 PM cadreamer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2014
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Why it’s so hard for us to talk about losing at a simple game? Sports are supposed to be about building positive character, supposed to be about fairness, equality, and striving for excellence.

date : January 22, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
What can I eat to heal quickly? How can I avoid getting fat while I'm unable to exercise? Should I be taking supplements? This article will address those concerns, plus more.
date : January 13, 2011
author : KenMierke
Learn the principles on how to lose weight and keep it off. These 10 commandments will help keep you at a healthy weight for life.

date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?
date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.