CRIM
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 25m 50s
Overall Rank = 2150/8290
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 237/581
Pre-race routine:

Up 5AM, FLEW out to McDonalds and wolfed the standard sausage, egg, and cheese bagel. Sprinted up to Flint, parked, called trixie and agreed to meet by 'the recycle bin'. Flint only has one, apparently.

Anyway, run into Trix and "Jim the Fast Guy", notice that the Boy Scouts are actually doing the pacing for the event, snaked our way through the dumbass expo to get to race number pickup.

Found an ENTRIRE bank of portapotties that were mostly unoccupied, no lines...wtf? Managed to holding a conversation through the portavents with Wendi. That's a first.

Back to the TAHO, call Trix AGAIN and she's still lost. Finally just agree to meet at the 9min/mile pace sign. Met up with my buddy Brian Mitchell, sucked down some Cherry Bomb Crank Gels, BANG. We're off!!
Event warmup:

Just running back and forth to the car; plus 3 min of jogging to get to the start line once the gun went off.
Run
  • 1h 25m 50s
  • 10 miles
  • 08m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was supposed to be a 'training' run, as I'd only done (2) 5-mile runs leading up to this, one at 8:30 pace, and one at 9:00 pace. Plus - we were going to run more after the race...so...

Started off running with Trix and Brian Mitchell. Clicked off 5 8-minute miles, the first couple miles dodging everyone in sight...we started too far back in the pack, which explains why mile 1 was dog-ass slow.

One sidelight...at mile 3, one of the frat houses had 'Krispy Kreme's' for the runners. So I grabbed one. Got about half of it down until it glued up my mouth. Tasted good, and I don't think it helped or hurt me. And any donut that doesn't hurt you (that I know of) is a good donut.

At mile 4 we lost Brian, and at right after the next aid station, trix and I stoped to whiz in a patch of bushes. Trix peed on herself. I was clean as a whistle. :)

Right as we finished 5, I wasn't feeling it - could it be the Donut? Noooo...But anyway, I told trix to go ahead. Got to mile 9 running 9's (little run, little walk). In the last mile, I'm walking a significant amount, watching all kinds of people pass me. So I said to myself, "self, next good looking girl that goes by, you start running and follow that fine ass to the finish. If you can't do that, BDK, you're not a man'.".

So a fine-lookin city girl flies by at about 7:30 pace, and here we go. I finished 3 feet behind her. :)
What would you do differently?:

Train
Post race
Warm down:

Got popsicles, bananas, water, met trix and Jim, then went and waited for Wendi to finish. Walked the chute getting more stuff to eat...then went and ran/walked the 5K, cramping a good chunk of the way. Trixie pulled my finger.

Afterwards, we went to the expo, met and got pics with the Kenyan winners, got some pizza and beer and pepsi products, took a little Trixie time so she could jump around in the inflatable, and then went shopping at the outlet mall.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training.

Event comments:

Excellent company, fantastic race (8200+ people ran the 10-miler), and there were 8K, 5K, and 1mi runs as well. A tremendous event that the entire city of Flint embraces - you could see it in the volunteers, crowds, and the fun the runners and spectators were having.

I'll be back. To run with the Legends of the Crim. :)

Last updated: 2006-05-10 12:00 AM
Running
01:25:50 | 10 miles | 08m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 220/581
Overall: 2200/8290
Performance: Below average
Course: First 5 miles were just little ups and downs on paved roads through downtown Flint. Mile 5 there's a big uphill (.5 mile), mile 6 is downhill, and miles 7-9 were significant rollers, with mile 10 being predominantly downhill. The last half of the course was through beautiful neighborhoods with mature trees and huge houses. Aid stations and clocks every mile; great crowd turnout and volunteer support. There were tons of bands, stereos, people with hoses and sprinklers to help keep the runners cool.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-27 1:38 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Subject: CRIM Festival of Races

2006-08-27 2:04 PM
in reply to: #523239

Master
Boston
Subject: RE: CRIM Festival of Races
Hey I like your race stategy: simple, yet so smart. Glad you were able to follow some race booty all the way home. Great pics too- you guys must cause a scene everywhere you go.
2006-08-27 4:25 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Nice race Mr. Kreuser!!  Why didn't you mention that hot chick ***** slapping you at the finish line though??  I thought it was pretty note worthy!!  
2006-08-27 8:20 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Don't you DARE try to besmirch the mystical powers of the KK, boy. Granted, their splendiferousness is best taken advantage of before the race,  but that's beside the point.

Still, at least you were able to fall back on the magnificent mojo of some prime pace booty.

Well done.

2006-08-27 8:22 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431

nice run Donut Boy 

2006-08-28 7:03 AM

Champion

Hah!  I can hear it now....(stream hitting plastic wall) "Hey Wendi, how you doing in there?" (plop, splash).

Hey I tried that tactic yesterday when Joanne flew by me with 1/2 mile to go.  You think I could hang onto her until the finish?  No freaking way, donut boy!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » CRIM Festival of Races Rss Feed