General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ankle pain from running? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-29 4:43 AM

User image

Expert
In limbo
Subject: Ankle pain from running?
Hi everyone,

Looooong time no see! I haven't visited in a while but I'm hoping ya'll can help me out.

When I first started running years ago (starting totally from scratch), I had major issues with shin splints. Eventually I worked through all that and was able to run pain free. I took a pretty long hiatus from running for a variety of reasons but I'm getting back to it now. I'm not having any shin splint issues but I'm getting horrible ankle pain. I usually don't notice it until later on but sometimes I notice it while running...especially if it already hurts when I start.

Is this a difference in my form that I'm feeling it in my ankles now instead of my shins? If it is form related, does that mean I can somehow change my form to make it less painful? Or is it just that I'm older now so it's affecting my body differently? Also would it have something to do with the fact that before I was doing mostly long (for me) runs at a steady pace, and now I'm doing more sprint-like stuff (playing soccer, crossfit, playing with kids at work, etc.) that involves a lot more varied movement? Is this something I can run through? I'm used to soreness but I don't want to end up causing injury. I did have one scare when I cut to the side during a soccer game and my ankle rolled. Hurt so bad I couldn't walk for most of the rest of the day...but after icing it that night I was fine the next day besides a little soreness. Actually both ankles were equally sore the next day. My job requires me to run, so doing no running at all is nearly impossible for me...though I do have some extra time off coming up soon so I can take it easy if that's the best course of action. Should I be investing in ankle braces of some sort? Are there stretches/exercises I should be doing to help work through this? It's hard to pinpoint where it hurts...seems to be more of just an "all over" thing. I've tried doing some range of motion type stuff (tracing the alphabet with my foot, but usually it hurts WAY more after that. Stretching seems to help, but I'm not sure if there's specific stretches I should be doing. The weird part is that they generally feel good while I'm doing something active, but after I stop then it hurts. After sitting still for a while when I try to stand up I feel like I can barely walk because they hurt and feel unstable. That makes it even harder to know what I should and shouldn't be doing, because the "stop if it hurts" thing doesn't really work. If I'm going by that I need to stop resting at all! :P

Sorry for the long list of questions, but this is totally new to me (ask me anything about knees...i'm experienced there :P ). Any thoughts/advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ankle pain from running? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ankle pain and running

Started by courtney_leone
Views: 1025 Posts: 2

2012-01-30 12:03 PM pitt83

Ankle Pain..when running

Started by Northern ivy
Views: 3112 Posts: 4

2011-06-22 9:51 AM rbishop01

Instep/ankle pain after running

Started by eklung05
Views: 2076 Posts: 2

2010-06-24 9:56 AM rmeyers.david

Pain on inside ankle on long runs

Started by PirateGirl
Views: 1908 Posts: 3

2007-03-07 3:49 PM labrat

Ankle Pain and the Bike

Started by soupaman
Views: 3642 Posts: 7

2004-04-15 8:55 AM Pro_rider
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 2, 2014
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Pain on the inside of the ankle is a frustrating issue to deal with, here are many structures present on the inside of the ankle, which can also make the diagnosis difficult for health care providers.

date : August 30, 2013
comments : 1
*The past few weeks I have had this dull, sometimes sharp pain around my ankle. It's on the front of my ankle (which is weird). I get the most pain when swimming.
date : July 28, 2011
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?

date : March 23, 2011
What could be causing the pain on the top of the foot at the toes? Here are some easy ways to find the cause and possibly end the pain.
date : June 25, 2010
comments : 1
I did more therapy, more stretches, more exercises and stopped running for over six months. I am just coming back to triathlon after a year off due to this ankle injury.

date : May 25, 2009
In the fall I was running on some trails and rolled my ankle pretty bad. I took a few weeks off from running and let it heal. Every so often, my ankle feels swollen, or off.
date : October 30, 2005
Been having ankle and achilles pain. Went to sports med/therapy clinic...was given stretches to help achilles and had an appointment made for getting orthotics.

date : April 9, 2005
The only time it hurt is when I stretched my left calf. I guess, "flexing" the ankle the way you do when stretching your calf is what was hurting it. The place it hurt is just fore of the ankle bone.