Riptide MultiSport, LLC
~70F / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 02m 3s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early as we had to drive up to longmont (~45 min). Basically just had some gatorade and a couple of shots of gel. Only looking to take the edge off of the hunger. Set up transition (in the dark) and wandered about a bit.
Event warmup:

Swam in the water some and started shivering due to the cold air (and warmer water).
Swim
  • 18m 44s
  • 1100 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim seemed a bit short. Was a big (for me) wave start with about 50 of us or so starting at once. Lots of bumping and jostling. After the first lap things spread out a bit and was better. Still had some folks bumping and such. Had someone on my feet most of the race.
What would you do differently?:

I started toward the front and middle which was likely the cause of some of my bumping. In the future I will start out towards the side and the front so I have cleaner water and less folks to deal with. Oh, and I need to swim faster!
Transition 1
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

Lots of rocks around my area. Small pebbles really but they got stuck on my feet. I tried to clean them off. I also swam without the Tri top on and it took a bit of time to get it on as I was wet. I also was watching others in transition instead of focusing!

Just wear the tri top through the swim. I was way too slow and not concentrating here!
Bike
  • 47m 21s
  • 17.1 miles
  • 21.67 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was really good for me today. I was about 2 MPH faster than I was last weekend at the Rattlesnake Oly. I had some cramping in tbe abs in the very beginning that eventually went away. I think that I pushed the right amount for my abilities and even backed off on my 4th loop to get ready for the run.

I think that my abdominal cramping on the run may be due to eating too much on the bike. I drank a bit over 1 bottle and the ride was only about 44 minutes or so. I got cramps on the run and feel it was due to the stomach being too full.
Transition 2
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

Pretty good. I took a bit more time to get the pebbles out of one of my socks. Overall a bit slow. It was also not clear just where I had to run before heading through the timing gate. I went a bit further than I needed to.

Keep rocks from getting in my socks in the first place! Not run further than I need to.
Run
  • 51m 44s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Good run for me. I started out a bit slow and was passed by a few folks who were running just a bit faster. One guy asked what pace I usually ran at. I kept two of them in sight and once I hit the turnaround I started picking up the pace a bit. I had cramps in tbe beginning which eventually settled down after the first 2.5 miles or so. See the bike comments for my theory as to why. Anyway, after I hit the mile 4 mark I really started picking up the pace. I saw the two guys who passed me and started working on catching them. I really turned it on after mile 5 and was really pushing (for me anyway). I caught both of the folks I was "targeting" and pushed much harder than I did at the Rattlesnake. I kept telling myself that I could deal with the pain for 15, 10, 5 more minutes which kept me pushing very hard.

Drink less on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Had some gatorade and wandered around with Chris. Sat in the shade and then had a swandwich.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training on the run. Technique on the swim. I still was faster in pacing than last weekend so it was a great race for me.

Event comments:

Overall a good race. I was good for 2nd in the Clydesdale division and would have made 4th in my AG (first clyde was also in my AG). Definitely an improvement over last time. My bike and run paces were faster by 2.3mph and about 15 seconds per mile vs. last week. I would like the bike to have been longer but apparently it was short due to the local PD telling the RD that the course needed a change this morning.

Last updated: 2006-08-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:44 | 1100 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Promotion Sleeveless
Course: Two loop course with a run section on the beach between laps. Seemed short. Assuming it was about 1100 yards.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:27
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:47:21 | 17.1 miles | 21.67 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Way short 4 loop course around and through some neighborhoods. Came up at about 17.1 ish miles per my computer. Mostly without triffic issues and had volunteers at each intersection.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95+
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:46
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:51:44 | 06.21 miles | 08m 20s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back route on mostly dirt roads. A bit on asphalt.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes