United States
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Stayed over at a friends house the night before so no sleeping in strange hotels this time around. After a short night I got up about 30 minutes before my alarm unable to sleep. Got up and did my usual pre race routine of shower, shave, hair done up in a tight bun, teeth brushed, racing cloths on. On my way out the door I made a sickening discovery. I managed to grab my light trail running shoes instead of my road running shoes that I had trained in. With home over two hours away I was just going to have to make it work.

Got to the bus area in time to catch the first wave of buses. This also allowed me a good spot to park for when the race was over. Once on the bus I had my now familiar race breakfast of a bottle of water with Nunn, a chocolate chip Cliff bar, and a bottle of V8.

Once I arrived at the race start is was simply a matter of dropping off my bag and heading to the porta-potties one last time before the race start. Managed to meet up with a friend the day before the race and right before the race start. Was kinda nice to have someone to talk to before the race.
Event warmup:

Walked around, tried to stay out of the wind and rain.
Run
  • 2h 37m 14s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m  min/mile
Comments:

This is one of those races that I don't take to seriously. I go slow and stay slow, enjoying the race and all that it has to offer. That being said my trail running shoes very quickly became a thorn in my side. I did find that by running on the shoulder where it was packed earth and weeks that my I did much better. Running in the conditions for which the shoes where intended is so much better!

Miles 1-8 went by fast and smooth. I was doing my Galloway method of running and was feeling great. I had Tailwind in my bottle and was taken sips of water at every aid station.

Miles 9-13 where less than ideal but I was happy that I was not running this for time. By now we where out of the country side and in the city so there was only hard top to run on. I had to slow down even more to keep my legs under control. But I was still enjoying myself and laughing at all the sites and signs that people made.

Miles 10-11 I just decided to walk them, for no other reason that because I could. I know my "times" where shot and to be honest I really didn't care to much. I stopped to say Hi to some dogs and gave a bunch of kids Hi-5's.

Miles 12-13 I decided to finally run again and picked up the pace. The finish line came into view and I ran the last 800 meters at my true race pace and finished feeling strong and happy.
What would you do differently?:

Brought the correct shoes! But otherwise nothing. I do this race just for the fun and joy of being with other racers who are having a good time. It remains on of my favorite annual races.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the post race area for a bit. As usual my gut refused to let me eat anything worth wile. My feet began to really hurt in my shoes so I go to my care as soon as I could to get my feet some relief.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The wrong shoes.

Event comments:

I'll be back next year for #5!

Last updated: 2015-06-02 12:00 AM
Running
02:37:14 | 13.1 miles | 12m  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: This is a single point to point race.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-06-02 3:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Dam to Dam Half Marathon 2014

2015-06-02 7:13 AM
in reply to: #5119800

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Dam to Dam Half Marathon 2014
Great run Beth, and stopping to say Hi to some dogs, "priceless".
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dam to Dam Half Marathon 2014 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Dam to Dam Half Marathon 2014

Started by midwesttrimom
Views: 2048 Posts: 3

2014-06-14 5:47 PM midwesttrimom

The Dam Full & Dam Half trail runs

Started by Lyons#01
Views: 1490 Posts: 1

2009-09-21 7:16 AM Lyons#01

Dam to Dam

Started by jdwright56
Views: 2019 Posts: 4

2008-06-02 3:23 PM aarondavidson

Dam to Dam

Started by disturbed275
Views: 1979 Posts: 1

2008-06-01 9:07 AM disturbed275

Dam to Dam 5K

Started by jhinrichs11
Views: 1465 Posts: 1

2008-05-31 2:15 PM jhinrichs11
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Team BT
We did really well with the beers, which will explain my reluctance to get out of bed on Saturday morning.