General Discussion Race Reports! » American Zofingen Duathlon - Short Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

American Zofingen Duathlon - Short Course - Duathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
New Paltz, New York
United States
CM2 Promotions
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 10m 1s
Overall Rank = 44/54
Age Group = M 55-59
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

This is a great event, and I am lucky to live less than 45 minutes away. Small, low key, beautiful scenery, and a really challenging course.

I have to say that the people who do the long course (5,84,15, with 3 loops of the bike course, and 3 loops of the run course for the 2nd run), are incredible athletes. The middle distance is F1 format with distances of 5,29,5,29,5, but that is still beyond my ability.

The usual shake about 2 hours before, and a cup of coffee with cream about 45 minutes before.

Saw a woman in a Team RWB jersey, thought she might be from BT, so went to say hello. Turns out she was Tritoy from BT, so we chatted a bit. Very nice to meet you Kat!

Event warmup:

No real warmup.
Run
  • 54m 54s
  • 5 miles
  • 10m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Temperature already in the upper 60's and still a little foggy, so the humidity was likely 100%, so it was a little warm on the run. Breathing felt a little difficult, and I walked more than i should have on some of the tough climbs.
What would you do differently?:

Should have pushed it a little harder.
Transition 1
  • 02m 14s
Comments:

Got into T1 and realized my sunglasses might fog a little until I got moving on the bike, and when I grabbed them out of my helmet they were already a little fogged. The first 1/4 mile or so of the bike is on dirt and gravel with short steep descents and climbs, I wanted to see as well as possible, so I decided I would leave my glasses off until I got going. Tried to shove them in my jersey pocket, but couldn't get them in there, so I tried to put them in my bento box, but somehow my multitool was in there instead of my saddle bag. Just threw it on the ground and shoved my glasses in.

While I was messing around, several people, including Kat/Tritoy came into T1 after me, but left before me. That aggravated me.

Think it through beforehand.
Bike
  • 2h 04m 33s
  • 29 miles
  • 13.97 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt good getting on the bike. As soon as you hit the road there is a substantial climb. I have a compact crank, and I switched from a 11/28 cassette to a 12/30 and it was helpful. Passed a few people, including Kat going up. Told them don't worry, you'll pass me on the way back down because I am a chicken on fast descents. Sure enough, 3 people passed me on the fast and technical "Mohonk" descent.. When Kat passed me she was flying! She had a road bike and was doing that thing that the TDF riders do, kinda laying down on the top tube. Scared me just watching her. Still, I am pleased with how I did on that descent. Checked my Strava segments, and I was 45 seconds faster getting down that hill than last year.

The climb back up to Minnewaska went well, and I repassed a couple of the people who had passed me earlier. I was much better on the long descent from Awosting than I have been in the past. They repaved a few of the rough spots which helped. Only feathered the brakes a few times.

Towards the end of the bike there is one last hard climb of a mile or so. Saw a guy a couple hundred yards in front of me, and tried to push hard to catch him, but I wasn't able to.

Let go on the fast downhills. Get on the trainer more in the Winter.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

Took a few moments to catch my breath. Since it was hot, intended to take off my tri jersey and put on my favorite hot weather running shirt, but some how i forgot.
Run
  • 1h 06m 38s
  • 5 miles
  • 13m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Was pretty hot and the heat is not my friend. It was a mistake to try to catch that guy at the end of the bike because my legs were pretty dead the first mile or so. Walked way more than I would like. A little bit after mile 3 there is a section of nearly a mile of fast downhill, and I tried to make up some time there. My quads were complaining, but I still did pretty good.

Near the end, I got close to the guy I tried to pass on the bike. Somehow I had a little kick left and was able to pass him with a couple hundred feet to go.

Take it a little easier at the end of the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Good food and beer after the race. Very nice! The RD outdid himself with 3 kegs of different beer from a local micro brewery. One was an IPA which I thought was perfect for a hot day.

I waited for the awards for my beer since the trophies are nice big glass beer mugs. No idea how i did in my AG, but usually there are 3 or fewer in men 55-59, so I figured I would place, and I did. First of one! Woo-hoo! My wife is......unimpressed, but I explained it's because not many people have the nerve to try even the short course.

Tritoy also won her AG, so she got to drink her beer from a nice glass mug as well. Outstanding job! Congratulations Kat, and I hope you come back.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Old and slow. Could stand to lose a few pounds and I should train more.

Event comments:

Really a great event. I will keep doing it as long as I can ride and run.

Last updated: 2014-12-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:54:54 | 05 miles | 10m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 48/54
Performance: Below average
Course: Hilly trail run, with a fair amount of single track. 1200 ft elevation gain and loss.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking
T1
Time: 02:14
Overall: Bad
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
02:04:33 | 29 miles | 13.97 mile/hr
Overall: 39/54
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: Hilly!! Over 3000 ft. elevation gain and loss.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:06:38 | 05 miles | 13m 20s  min/mile
Overall: 46/54
Performance: Average
Course: Same as first loop, but somehow seems steeper the second time around.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-06-03 10:21 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: American Zofingen Duathlon - Short Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » American Zofingen Duathlon - Short Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

American Zofingen Duathlon - Short Course

Started by amschrod
Views: 1113 Posts: 1

2012-05-25 2:29 PM amschrod

American Zofingen Duathlon Short Course

Started by doctorbob18
Views: 881 Posts: 1

2011-12-21 1:04 PM doctorbob18

American Zofingen Duathlon Short Course (Duathlon - Middle Distance)

Started by czechchick15
Views: 1984 Posts: 1

2011-05-23 8:16 PM czechchick15

Started by amschrod
Views: 1056 Posts: 5

2011-05-20 2:46 PM JohnnyKay

Started by amschrod
Views: 1499 Posts: 3

2010-08-14 10:15 PM dexter
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : January 1, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!