General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for a Long Distance Swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-04 9:08 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: Training for a Long Distance Swim
Do you train for a long distance swim the same way you'd train for a marathon or IM? i.e. by incorporating long slow swims once a week, like a long run or ride? I've got an 8 mile swim coming up in September (which I understand is actually closer to 10 miles). However I also have a sprint tri a month prior and a HIM a month later, so I don't want to neglect my other sports either. I've been trying to incorporate more open water swimming into my plan, but weather hasn't cooperated (it's the rainy season here). So I'm wondering if I should start doing long swims at the pool or just keep to more traditional swim practices with more meter-age.

2015-06-04 9:19 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Training for a Long Distance Swim

Based on your previous posts, I'm guessing you are already comfortable swimming in open water?  That likely lowers the amount you need to practice it in.  That said, 8 miles is a LONG swim and you likely need some practice with getting used to being in salt water (I assume?) for that long.  Figuring out possible chafage issues, things like that.  

As for the preparation of getting ready for that long of a swim, I think I would still spend the majority of my time in the pool.

2015-06-04 2:17 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by axteraa

Based on your previous posts, I'm guessing you are already comfortable swimming in open water?  That likely lowers the amount you need to practice it in.  That said, 8 miles is a LONG swim and you likely need some practice with getting used to being in salt water (I assume?) for that long.  Figuring out possible chafage issues, things like that.  

As for the preparation of getting ready for that long of a swim, I think I would still spend the majority of my time in the pool.

Yes, it's salt water. I'm comfortable swimming in open water, but I need to get some more practice being out there because this swim happens to be over a pretty "populated" coral reef. I need to get more used to seeing critters, some that may be bigger than me...it can freak me out sometimes, especially when they have bigger teeth than me. Also, my wife is my support kayaker and she needs to practice with me, so we are getting out there as much as possible. We can walk to the end of our block and hop in the water. There is a small uninhabited island about a half mile off shore that has a no motor zone around it to protect the flats and coral so I can paddle out to that with her then jump in and swim.

I'm thinking more along the lines of distances I need to swim. Would you recommend doing "long swims" (whether they are in the pool or not) in any frequency instead of doing typical sets? Is there anything to be gained by long moderate paced swimming continuously?
2015-06-04 2:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by 3mar

Yes, it's salt water. I'm comfortable swimming in open water, but I need to get some more practice being out there because this swim happens to be over a pretty "populated" coral reef. I need to get more used to seeing critters, some that may be bigger than me...it can freak me out sometimes, especially when they have bigger teeth than me. Also, my wife is my support kayaker and she needs to practice with me, so we are getting out there as much as possible. We can walk to the end of our block and hop in the water. There is a small uninhabited island about a half mile off shore that has a no motor zone around it to protect the flats and coral so I can paddle out to that with her then jump in and swim. I'm thinking more along the lines of distances I need to swim. Would you recommend doing "long swims" (whether they are in the pool or not) in any frequency instead of doing typical sets? Is there anything to be gained by long moderate paced swimming continuously?

I did a 10K swim that turned out to be 7 plus... I increased my 2X weekly masters from 3 to 4K to 5K, longest I think was 5200 or so.  These were all in sets, I wasn't just swimming 5K straight.  Weekends, I bumped up the OW swim and did several 3 milers, some 4 milers and a 5 miler.  I definitely think you need some experience just swimming for the 2-3 hours that it's going to take.  Especially in salt water, as that can have all different kinds of effects on you, chafing, being able to feel your tongue, etc....  You don't need 8 miles, I'd say if you can do 6 you're fine (but if you really think it's going to be 10, then you might need 7+)

Most of my swims were so cal,. so the water was a bit murky.  Did have a heart in my throat moment when a large bottlenose decided to swim right underneath me...   But also dis a week's worth of training in Hawaii, seeing the bottom was not reassuring, especially knowing there are tiger sharks there (even though there are great whites at home), and all my training was basically  solo, no swim buddy or kayak support.  Lots of time to be in my head and see things that weren't there...

Edited by ChrisM 2015-06-04 2:48 PM
2015-06-04 10:17 PM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

Making the transition from a 5K swim (if you've done one) to an 8 to 10 mile swim requires a change in your workouts. Since you are competing in both a Sprint and IM you probably plan on altering your training for them as well. So the key will be making the decisions on compromising to get a specific result.

To begin with, for me a sprint tri is equivalent to a 5K swim. It's been a few years, but I would train for a sprint and then switch over to just swimming 3 weeks before a 5K race (admittedly I am a swimmer). If you do that you could also easily switch back to do another sprint. But you are talking about another whole problem. I've never done anything longer than a HIM, but I have swum a number of marathon swims, including a few in rough ocean waters.

I know when I trained for HIM I didn't work on intervals because at that distance they would not do much for me other than expose myself to injury. However, I did a number of hard bricks. Marathon swimming is more akin to IM training as far as cardio fitness. A lot of it is maintaining focus training and on the swim. Efficiency is the key so focusing on form is critical during training and during the swim. However, when training for even my longest swims I always did intervals for part of the workout. I did this mostly to build strength for rougher ocean waters. In fact if I do another long rough swim I'd do more of them (and lift weights).

My marathon swim pace is very slow. I just dial in my tempo and just go, and go, and go . . . . It is a whole different kind of swimming than a 5K. It's also a lot different than swimming a 10K. I did my first 10Ks in the year before starting my long swims, and just swam them as a slow 5K pace. I learned a lot from doing this. However, I never learned how to race a 10K until I had a few long swims under my belt. So there is a good chance the trick for you is to find your swimming all day pace and make swimming at that pace a good chunk of your swim workout - but keep intervals as a part of every workout. As far as multi-sport training leading up to a long swim I found it very useful to extend my training sessions and do some intense intervals with out risking injury to my shoulders. I did this mostly with my bike up on a trainer working cadence, speed and heart rate to get the most out of my training time. Importantly by doing intervals on the bike or track, you'll be able to switchback quickly to multi-sport in preparation for your IM.

Which swim are you doing? Depending on which one it is, I might be able to give you some info on it. What is the expected water temperature? Will you be wearing a wetsuit? If you tell me what your current workout is in the pool I might be able to give you some suggestions. One thing I must warn you about is that training for marathon swims in my mind is very boring if you do all of your training in a pool. Be prepared for that. Frankly I hope to return to tris (probably just sprints) next year. The training is just so much more fun.

2015-06-05 7:48 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by ChrisM

Yes, it's salt water. I'm comfortable swimming in open water, but I need to get some more practice being out there because this swim happens to be over a pretty "populated" coral reef. I need to get more used to seeing critters, some that may be bigger than me...it can freak me out sometimes, especially when they have bigger teeth than me. Also, my wife is my support kayaker and she needs to practice with me, so we are getting out there as much as possible. We can walk to the end of our block and hop in the water. There is a small uninhabited island about a half mile off shore that has a no motor zone around it to protect the flats and coral so I can paddle out to that with her then jump in and swim. I'm thinking more along the lines of distances I need to swim. Would you recommend doing "long swims" (whether they are in the pool or not) in any frequency instead of doing typical sets? Is there anything to be gained by long moderate paced swimming continuously?

I did a 10K swim that turned out to be 7 plus... I increased my 2X weekly masters from 3 to 4K to 5K, longest I think was 5200 or so.  These were all in sets, I wasn't just swimming 5K straight.  Weekends, I bumped up the OW swim and did several 3 milers, some 4 milers and a 5 miler.  I definitely think you need some experience just swimming for the 2-3 hours that it's going to take.  Especially in salt water, as that can have all different kinds of effects on you, chafing, being able to feel your tongue, etc....  You don't need 8 miles, I'd say if you can do 6 you're fine (but if you really think it's going to be 10, then you might need 7+)

Most of my swims were so cal,. so the water was a bit murky.  Did have a heart in my throat moment when a large bottlenose decided to swim right underneath me...   But also dis a week's worth of training in Hawaii, seeing the bottom was not reassuring, especially knowing there are tiger sharks there (even though there are great whites at home), and all my training was basically  solo, no swim buddy or kayak support.  Lots of time to be in my head and see things that weren't there...

I have been in the Keys for about three years now and it is the first place where I can see the bottom clearly (and in all directions) all the time. I always swam in murky water and I have to say I think this is worse for the heebee jeebies. In murky water you just sort of put it out of your mind, but when you can see, you end up looking around all the dang time. I mostly see nurse sharks, which are about as dangerous as a golden retriever, and bonnet heads which are like cute miniature hammerheads (like a foot long) but we do have bull sharks and large hammerheads as well. They really have no interest in us, but it doesn't stop it from scaring the crap out of you.

2015-06-05 7:54 AM
in reply to: E=H2O

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by E=H2O

Making the transition from a 5K swim (if you've done one) to an 8 to 10 mile swim requires a change in your workouts. Since you are competing in both a Sprint and IM you probably plan on altering your training for them as well. So the key will be making the decisions on compromising to get a specific result.

To begin with, for me a sprint tri is equivalent to a 5K swim. It's been a few years, but I would train for a sprint and then switch over to just swimming 3 weeks before a 5K race (admittedly I am a swimmer). If you do that you could also easily switch back to do another sprint. But you are talking about another whole problem. I've never done anything longer than a HIM, but I have swum a number of marathon swims, including a few in rough ocean waters.

I know when I trained for HIM I didn't work on intervals because at that distance they would not do much for me other than expose myself to injury. However, I did a number of hard bricks. Marathon swimming is more akin to IM training as far as cardio fitness. A lot of it is maintaining focus training and on the swim. Efficiency is the key so focusing on form is critical during training and during the swim. However, when training for even my longest swims I always did intervals for part of the workout. I did this mostly to build strength for rougher ocean waters. In fact if I do another long rough swim I'd do more of them (and lift weights).

My marathon swim pace is very slow. I just dial in my tempo and just go, and go, and go . . . . It is a whole different kind of swimming than a 5K. It's also a lot different than swimming a 10K. I did my first 10Ks in the year before starting my long swims, and just swam them as a slow 5K pace. I learned a lot from doing this. However, I never learned how to race a 10K until I had a few long swims under my belt. So there is a good chance the trick for you is to find your swimming all day pace and make swimming at that pace a good chunk of your swim workout - but keep intervals as a part of every workout. As far as multi-sport training leading up to a long swim I found it very useful to extend my training sessions and do some intense intervals with out risking injury to my shoulders. I did this mostly with my bike up on a trainer working cadence, speed and heart rate to get the most out of my training time. Importantly by doing intervals on the bike or track, you'll be able to switchback quickly to multi-sport in preparation for your IM.

Which swim are you doing? Depending on which one it is, I might be able to give you some info on it. What is the expected water temperature? Will you be wearing a wetsuit? If you tell me what your current workout is in the pool I might be able to give you some suggestions. One thing I must warn you about is that training for marathon swims in my mind is very boring if you do all of your training in a pool. Be prepared for that. Frankly I hope to return to tris (probably just sprints) next year. The training is just so much more fun.

Thanks. This is a lot of good information. I am doing the Alligator Reef Lighthouse Swim in Islamorada in the Florida Keys. As long as you are inside the reef (which extends 6 miles off shore) it is pretty calm most of the time. I've never seen waves more than 2-3' at the absolute most. This swim is entirely in that area, so I highly doubt there will be any rough water. Here is the link:

http://www.swimalligatorlight.com/

I heard that the biggest obstacle is jelly fish.

I am coming off of a full IM so my longest OWS to date was the 2.4 miler at the beginning. I did it in 1:11. I did a 3,850 m pool swim leading up to it in 1:01, so I'm pretty comfortable in long distance swims. I just wasn't sure how much longer I need to go in the pool and out in the water.
2015-06-06 9:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
No...

You train more like a 1500m swimmer.

5k swim 57.15
2015-06-08 12:12 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York

Thanks. This is a lot of good information. I am doing the Alligator Reef Lighthouse Swim in Islamorada in the Florida Keys. As long as you are inside the reef (which extends 6 miles off shore) it is pretty calm most of the time. I've never seen waves more than 2-3' at the absolute most. This swim is entirely in that area, so I highly doubt there will be any rough water. Here is the link:

I am coming off of a full IM so my longest OWS to date was the 2.4 miler at the beginning. I did it in 1:11. I did a 3,850 m pool swim leading up to it in 1:01, so I'm pretty comfortable in long distance swims. I just wasn't sure how much longer I need to go in the pool and out in the water.

I saw some pics when I was down there last summer. Love Islamorada. Long swim, jeez. I did some swimming/snorkeling in that area too, when the jellyfish came in, I got annihilated. Had to leave the water. This years' trip is off due to wife's work issues. I was looking forward to heading down there to hopefully meet up. Good Luck in this one. Keep us posted
2015-06-10 9:28 AM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by TJHammer

I saw some pics when I was down there last summer. Love Islamorada. Long swim, jeez. I did some swimming/snorkeling in that area too, when the jellyfish came in, I got annihilated. Had to leave the water. This years' trip is off due to wife's work issues. I was looking forward to heading down there to hopefully meet up. Good Luck in this one. Keep us posted

That's too bad you can't make it down. I could have took you for an OWS!

I'm a little nervous about the jelly fish. I was thinking of wearing a speed suit or something similar to get more coverage. The water would be WAY too hot for a wetsuit. Probably in the mid to upper 80's
2015-06-14 4:59 PM

Westchester County
First of all good luck and welcome to marathon swimming!

I think you have two good things going for you- 1. You are comfortable in open water and 2. you have a kayaker with whom you can work prior to your swim.

The first thing to remember is that every swimmer trains differently. I just did a stage of the 8 Bridges swim series and spoke with the other swimmers and the weekly yardage varied from 18,000 per week to 60,000. (I usually do about 22,000 but add in running and cycling for variety and endurance although I do ramp it up 6 weeks prior to a big swim to 28-32,000)

Perhaps more important than the additional swimming is figuring out your nutrition and feeding during you swim as well as working on the mental aspects of a long swim. . Long marathon swims can be exhilarating but they are mentally draining. You will be "alone" with your thoughts for much of the time and that is not always a good thing. I have found that a single long swim a week, 90 to 120 continuous minutes after a masters session, has helped me work through the inevitable boredom, pain and negative thoughts. These long swims will also give you a chance to find the right feeding plan for you. Try it both in the pool and in the ocean as some feeds do not mix well with salt and others are very difficult to use in the open water. For instance, Gu gels are tough and if the sea is a little rough passing them can be impossible.

Also on nutrition, your swim will be in very warm water and I think you should probably adjust for more hydration than a colder water swim.

There is a very good website on marathon swimming, marathonswimmers.org, with great advice and very helpful posts by some of the top marathon swimmers in the world. It is a great group and there is always good advice just don't bring up D. Nyad.

Finally, be very careful of marathon swimming. It can be extremely addictive.

2015-06-14 5:14 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

3mar,

1st, this is crazy talk!

2nd, for a training swim you could come up to Melbourne and do the "for fun" 3.75mi Bridge to Bridge swim, Sunday July 26th.  Heck I'd even volunteer to be your kayak escort!

2015-06-14 6:07 PM
in reply to: frnk36

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by frnk36

First of all good luck and welcome to marathon swimming!

I think you have two good things going for you- 1. You are comfortable in open water and 2. you have a kayaker with whom you can work prior to your swim.

The first thing to remember is that every swimmer trains differently. I just did a stage of the 8 Bridges swim series and spoke with the other swimmers and the weekly yardage varied from 18,000 per week to 60,000. (I usually do about 22,000 but add in running and cycling for variety and endurance although I do ramp it up 6 weeks prior to a big swim to 28-32,000)

Perhaps more important than the additional swimming is figuring out your nutrition and feeding during you swim as well as working on the mental aspects of a long swim. . Long marathon swims can be exhilarating but they are mentally draining. You will be "alone" with your thoughts for much of the time and that is not always a good thing. I have found that a single long swim a week, 90 to 120 continuous minutes after a masters session, has helped me work through the inevitable boredom, pain and negative thoughts. These long swims will also give you a chance to find the right feeding plan for you. Try it both in the pool and in the ocean as some feeds do not mix well with salt and others are very difficult to use in the open water. For instance, Gu gels are tough and if the sea is a little rough passing them can be impossible.

Also on nutrition, your swim will be in very warm water and I think you should probably adjust for more hydration than a colder water swim.

There is a very good website on marathon swimming, marathonswimmers.org, with great advice and very helpful posts by some of the top marathon swimmers in the world. It is a great group and there is always good advice just don't bring up D. Nyad.

Finally, be very careful of marathon swimming. It can be extremely addictive.

Thanks for all the good information. I'll take a look at that website.
2015-06-14 6:08 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Donto

3mar,

1st, this is crazy talk!

2nd, for a training swim you could come up to Melbourne and do the "for fun" 3.75mi Bridge to Bridge swim, Sunday July 26th.  Heck I'd even volunteer to be your kayak escort!

Dude, I would totally be down for that! If you're game, I'm in.
2015-06-14 6:11 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Donto

3mar,

1st, this is crazy talk!

Dude, I would totally be down for that! If you're game, I'm in.
Deal!  And if someone close to you wants to come I have access to a double kayak.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for a Long Distance Swim Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

longer distance swims

Started by sappho96
Views: 903 Posts: 13

2007-11-08 10:25 PM SauseEnte

Long distance swims Q&A

Started by cobannero
Views: 1125 Posts: 15

2007-05-30 12:20 PM dck4shrt

Long(er) distance swimming

Started by ride_like_u_stole_it
Views: 1098 Posts: 5

2007-04-23 1:49 PM ride_like_u_stole_it

Marathon training question: replacing a long run with an oly distance tri

Started by MobAlTri
Views: 1073 Posts: 7

2006-04-27 7:53 AM BeCivil

Long distance swim tips

Started by sauna66
Views: 816 Posts: 2

2005-11-24 2:56 AM skavoovie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 10, 2011
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 7
This article describes what triathlon base training is, how to do it, and what type of benefits you'll get from building a solid base in your endurance training.

date : June 17, 2009
comments : 0
With stroke improvements I find that when I try and swim long I have lost any speed gains that I had because my stroke count just creeps up and up. I also feel like I'm running out of air.
date : December 22, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
I only had 6 weeks to prepare, so I pushed myself pretty hard while I was training. After my first figure competition, my trainer had me take a week off just to rest and recoup. Was this needed?

date : September 3, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on getting faster than 1:35/100m, IM swim training, counting strokes and improving an Olympic distance swim.
date : September 8, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on racing in the heat, electrolytes, weightloss and long distance training, the best way to improve your run, taper psychology, the best gel and the benefits of a swim stroke analysis.

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : April 17, 2005
My question is on nutrition in a long race. Most intake will occur on the bike, but I'm curious as to the details. I didn't do real well in this area last year and really need to improve.