General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Terramuggus Sprint Triathlon #1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake Terramuggus Sprint Triathlon #1 - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Marlborough, Connecticut
United States
67F / 19C
Overcast
Total Time = 59m 26s
Overall Rank = 6/84
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 2/21
Pre-race routine:

Did a day of work at the Groton subase, got off work at 1600 and drove out to the race for 1700. Grabbed a spot on the bike rack as it's first come first serve, then checked into the race. Had a bannana and a odwalla bar and anti fatigue caps with some water and gatorade. Finished setting up transition and got changed for the race.
Event warmup:

Walked the bike the 150+ yards from transition to the bike start and rode 1.25 miles then flipped it back to transition. The put the wetsuit on and swam out to the big duck and back, just about 300 yards mostly easy with a 50 yard pickup in the mix. Had a gu roctane and headed to the swim start.
Swim
  • 06m 34s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

On of my best open water swims to date! started mid pack front from the get go, horn blew and I held out in front with the main group, the ducks were easy to site and because the course was a pentagon there were no backups on the buoys. I got in great draft position and held it all the way through the last 400 yards of the race. I might have been able to push a bit harder but the draft pace was perfect so I held in line.
What would you do differently?:

wouldn't do it differently but could have potentially came out of draft and picked up a few seconds by going harder, this could have slowed me down on the bike/run.
Transition 1
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

transition went very smooth, first time I have ever been out of a wetsuit with a transition <1 minute.

nothing
Bike
  • 30m 4s
  • 11 miles
  • 21.95 mile/hr
Comments:

Went all out on the bike, the women went off first during the swim for 5 minutes so there always seemed to be somebody in front of me that I was trying to close down. I ended up with 4th best bike for the day but was passed by 2 people on the bike. I struggled with the hill section the first lap and missed shifting twice, the second time through was much better. Used the pearl izumi octane suit with claf sleeves and rode trispoke/disc combination.

better performance on the hills could have easily gained me 20-30 seconds on the race.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

complete amateur hour when I got into t2. i couldn't feel my toes as they were cold. 65F and wet and 22 mph is not a good combination. Slid out of my bike shoes and into my run shoes. Started to run out of transition the wrong way, got passed by another triathlete and started to follow him, then realized my 910 was still on my bike so I went back for it and then got out of transition. Took a gu roctane at mile 8.

everything
Run
  • 21m 4s
  • 3.12 miles
  • 06m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

I got into the run and through he initial trail section of the run and immediately had a bad feeling in my stomach, then my left hammy got tight, then I hit the hills. I started really badly got passed early into the first section of hills, after a couple mouthfuls of puke I was able to get the stomach to calm down (still not sure what caused the flare up). after a good downhill I was able to stretch the hammy out and pick up the pace a bit. at mile 2 I got passed by the gut that took #1 in AG but I tried to chase him down and ended up with more mouthfuls of puke but a good pace. I blew through both aid stations and didn't take water for fear what it would do to my stomach.

figure out what happened to my nutrition in the day that caused a malfunction.
Post race
Warm down:

crossed the finish line and found a picnic table to lay down on. after my HR got under control hiked back up the hill to cheer people on.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

stomach issues

Event comments:

Great local grass roots race that feature good racing but brings some hills out on the course. I'm always whinney about hills. I like the Thursday night racing series and between this one and cedar lake will have great racing all season long.

Last updated: 2015-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:34 | 500 yards | 01m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/21
Overall: 9/84
Performance: Good
Suit: Nineteen Tsunami
Course: The course starts on the right side of the lake, swims out 200 yards, then forms the top of a pentagon by adding another 200 yards, then to the next duck and into shore for the last 200 yards. The winds was holding the buoys/ducks toward shore and the course was closer to 500 yards than then advertised 600 yards or the race directors 550 yard estimate. My garmin 910 said 450 yards but was dropping satellite regularly, another person's read 500 yards dead on.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:53
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:30:04 | 11 miles | 21.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/21
Overall: 4/84
177 bpm with a 185 bpm max heartrate. estimated power by starva for the ride was 282 watts which might be a bit high but is in the realm of what I put out for the course.
Wind: Little
Course: The course starts with a 125m run out from transition (repeated on the way in) so bike times are much slowed due to 2+ minutes of running with bike over dirt surfaces. The bike features 636 feet of elevation. It is a 2 loop bike course that feature mostly smooth road and rolling hills, there is 1 segment that climbs for almost 2 miles each laps. The course is advertised as 12 miles but is closer to 10.8 miles. The strava segment for the course is pretty accurate; https://www.strava.com/segments/4475714?filter=overall
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:21:04 | 03.12 miles | 06m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/21
Overall: 19/84
Performance: Below average
175bpm. I ran 7:26, 6:55, 6:33
Course: the run is a windy perimeter around the lake. the hills are very mean and have over 200 feet of climbing, most of which occurs in the first 2 miles of the race. https://www.strava.com/segments/7894871
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-06-05 8:41 PM

User image

Saint Marys, Georgia
Subject: Lake Terramuggus Sprint Triathlon #1
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Terramuggus Sprint Triathlon #1 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lake Terramuggus Sprint Triathlon Series

Started by felloffmybike
Views: 2062 Posts: 3

2006-07-31 7:13 PM stumfossil

Lake Terramuggus Triathlon Series # 3

Started by stumfossil
Views: 1687 Posts: 5

2006-07-20 4:13 AM dredwards

Lake Terramuggus Triathlon Series #1

Started by stumfossil
Views: 1942 Posts: 11

2006-06-16 7:28 PM stumfossil

Lake Terramuggus Triathlon Series III

Started by emuldoon
Views: 1060 Posts: 3

2005-07-16 10:52 AM KathyG

Lake Terramuggus Triathlon Series II

Started by emuldoon
Views: 1243 Posts: 6

2005-07-02 1:10 PM emuldoon
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?
date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.
date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.