General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Oktoberfest in Houston - Olympic distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-05 9:14 PM

User image

Regular
Houston, Texas
Subject: Oktoberfest in Houston - Olympic distance
Has anyone done Oktoberfest in Houston put on by iTri Events?

http://itrievents.net/Oktoberfest-Triathlon.html

I couldn't find anything in the Race Reports about this "Oktoberfest" though there are apparently others out there by the same name. I was looking for feedback on the quality of how the race was run, opinions on the Olympic course, including the lake, etc. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by Maniton 2015-06-05 9:15 PM

2015-06-06 10:29 AM
in reply to: #5120754

SE Texas
Subject: RE: Oktoberfest in Houston - Olympic distance
Tina puts on a great event. I haven't been to this one but to the half she put on in Onalaska the first year. Also free beer after if you like beer.
2015-06-07 2:28 AM
in reply to: Maniton

User image

Pearland,Tx
Have Fun Scott

You wont Regret it!!
2015-06-09 10:36 AM

I did the sprint version last year and did Springs Back Olympic this year (exact same course).

Lake is ok. Like most lakes around Houston, can't see your hands in front of your face. I can't remember the swim exit from Oktoberfest but at Springs Back we had to climb over rocks to get out of the water. A bit of a pain.

This is the only race I have done where the bike portion is not completely monitored by police. Not a big deal as it is out far enough to not really need it but you do need to watch out for traffic. Road quality is ok. Also, there are usually a lot of non racing cyclists riding on the course. I had a group in front of me at Springs Back that I thought were drafting. I was going to say something but as I caught them I realized they were not racing, just out for a group ride. It can also be tough to pass these groups on the busy roads.

The run is all on sidewalks through the neighborhood. The Olympic is 2 loops. At Springs Back I was in the last swim wave and by the time I got to the run one of the water stations was out of water so there was only one station (that we passed twice) for the whole run.

They were also out of beer and water by the time I finished (was one of the last to cross the line but still timed ahead of about 30 athletes. I was just one of the last to start). They seemed to have more beer at Oktoberfest but since I did the sprint then that may have been an illusion.

The only real bright side is that I was the only Clydesdale doing the Olympic so I got first place and a bike jersey.

I signed up for Oktoberfest when I signed up for Springs Back but I am not sure I am going to do it. Just too many variables that concern me. Tina actually said she was going to refund my entry for Oktoberfest but I am not holding my breath on that one.

I did a race report for Springs Back that you can search for.
2015-06-09 10:10 PM
in reply to: houtexan

User image

Regular
Houston, Texas
Thanks for the feedback!

~Scott
2015-06-10 3:38 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by Maniton

Thanks for the feedback!

~Scott

Scott

honestly i podium on this one at Clydesdale div because all of you Clydes are at Fullshear Tri .

You will enjoy this one more

Goodluck!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Oktoberfest in Houston - Olympic distance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Oktoberfest in Fulshear or Firethorn in Katy??

Started by CougarTri
Views: 1626 Posts: 8

2011-10-12 3:12 PM atxtriguy

Addison Oktoberfest

Started by KenD
Views: 1087 Posts: 7

2008-09-19 5:10 PM triritter
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
author : SrhShepherd
comments : 9
How triathlon helped me become the person I wanted to be