United States
Tri Peachtree City
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 19m 39s
Overall Rank = 109/736
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 23/67
Pre-race routine:

Pack up the race gears and head out to the park -- 35 minute drive. My tummy was in pain the whole morning due to a meal I ate the day before. I was not happy about the situation and hope for the best.
Event warmup:

Set up transition area and stretched and ran around for a few minutes. I was trying to prep my mind and trying to ignore my achy tummy. Around 7am, motrin kicked in and I an actually feel like a human again. Chatted with some racers in my swim wave. And off we go!
Swim
  • 13m 20s
  • 483 meters
  • 02m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

BAd swim even though I did not panic during the whole swim. I had to swim away from slower swimmers in front of me hence made me swim more distance than the actual 0.3 miles. I have to constantly adjust my swim to avoid backstrokers. Very frustrating! I was hoping to shave off some time here but alas....Swim sucks!
What would you do differently?:

Be more aggressive and plow through the crowd and not avoiding slow swimmers.
Transition 1
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

I could not find my helmet and sunglasses. Apparently some racer knocked my gear off my rack. A nice lady found them for me -- on the ground! Not happy. Slipped my tri shoes and cursed a lot and ran to the mounting line. The no pass zone is kinda annoying.....

Nothing -- wish my helmet and sunglasses was not knock off from my rack!
Bike
  • 39m 24s
  • 13.2 miles
  • 20.10 mile/hr
Comments:

I know I need to average around 20mph in order to shave off some time from last year's race time. It feel good to pass all the slower cyclist after a very poor swim performance.

Nothing .... The no passing zone slowed me down at least 2 minutes! I apologize if anyone of you heard me yelling for the slow riders in the no passing zone to move faster .... I was in a rush.. LOL....
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

Found my rack with ease..... Took some time to get my cliff shots...

Drink more water before running out of the transition area.
Run
  • 24m 18s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I was super slow in my first half mile. I was trying to finish chewing my Cliff shots. After that I ran a great pace passing many runners until I pass mile 2+ ...... I start feeling a sharp pain on my left knee this time. I had to compose myself and try to finish the race in a PR time. Then I heard Abear2 behind me as I pass her asking about my knee -- and I grunted in pain and said I am in pain...and limped off.... Then I feel my right is is about to fall apart .. Now with 2 knees in pain running. As I ran across the bridge to the finish line -- I gave my last effort to finish the race. There was a 22 year old actually sprint me to the finish line as I over took him. He nipped me at the line -- I surely gave him a run of his life... LOL.... with my bum knee and all....Dissappointing run for me! :((

Start nursing my knees and strengthen them for next year. Keep training. Next year should be a fast year for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank water and got my thighs massaged! Chatted with Abear2 and another Bter ....sorry I forgot your name..... Stick around for the ceremony until the organizers trying to stall the award ceremony. This is still a fun race despite my nagging injuries and poor performance. I thought I had a great bike leg. If I ran my run I could have achived my personal goal of shaving off 4 minutes from last year's race. Instead I clocked a minute faster than last year, so I am happy for that considering my injuries. Better race next year I guess..... :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1. Swim
2. Right knee
3. Left Knee

Event comments:

Always a fun race to participate. The new transition area is GREAT! In my opinion, the swim course is a tad longer than it seemed. The "No Passing Zone" is annoying at best even though it was created for safety issues. The running course was reversed from last year's run course which was fun and refreshing.

Last updated: 2006-08-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:20 | 483 meters | 02m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 45/67
Overall: 0/736
Performance: Average
Suit: no
Course: Rectangular shape. Brown lake water. ITU start wave
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:41
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:39:24 | 13.2 miles | 20.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 25/67
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Paved road around PTC surbubia.....
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:18 | 03.11 miles | 07m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/67
Performance: Below average
Course: Around golf course
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-27 6:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
Subject: Tri Peachtree City Sprint

2006-08-27 7:00 PM
in reply to: #523450

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Subject: RE: Tri Peachtree City Sprint
Hey Alan,

Great race despite the injuries. I think I saw you in our wave area and was about to go over and introduce myself, but then everyone started to move. If I remember correctly, was your race number 386? If so, I'll be able to pick you out sooner next time. Or, we'll have to set up a ride at Silky Sheets with Tony when he heals.

The transition area was great but there was a lot of equipment movement going on including people racking their bikes the wrong way on their return. But Tri-PTC is the only race that I've been to that has your race number posted where you rack, not a first come first serve basis. And, I agree the no pass zone was annoying.

Heal those knees!

Craig
2006-08-27 7:08 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock

Great job- Great times! I will have to look for you next time- i keep saying I will get some bt temp tattoos but never order them in time.  Get those injuries cleared up and I look foward to seeing you at the next one.

2006-08-28 5:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA

Sorry for the troubles at the race, it was fun anyway!  It was great to see you.  Let those injuries heal up and we will break those times next year!   Congrats!  Oh yea, I thought the no passing zone was a pain too.

Kelly

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Peachtree City Sprint Rss Feed