General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My toes are going numb... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-08 6:50 PM

User image

Expert
Montana
Subject: My toes are going numb...
I know it isn't the size of my shoes. I don't slip around, but I can wiggle my toes. This comes on at around 20 miles. At 35 miles my toes hurt so bad I wanted to cry. I don't notice it on the downhill.

I think I have my cleats in the right position, but it could be that. Otherwise, could it be my saddle? Do you think I could be getting a weird pressure point that is making my feet fall asleep, or would you most likely attribute it to cleat pressure? Or too stiff of shoes?

I have a big ride coming up and I just don't want to be in pain all day. Also, I'm afraid I could literally kill my toes if I let it go on.

2015-06-08 7:48 PM
in reply to: Shoeless

User image

Subject: RE: My toes are going numb...
Spend the money and get a bike fitting. Should be about $150 to $300.

2015-06-08 8:18 PM

User image

Post Falls, Idaho
Getting a bike fit is a good idea. If you want to experiment, try moving your cleats back (so your foot moves forward).
2015-06-08 9:12 PM
in reply to: rframe

User image

I have the same issue on my left foot when biking but my numbness turns to out right "icepick pain" at the 3-4 hour mark.. I went in for a bike fitting and they shinned a laser on it and it showed my left foot going all over the place when I pedaled. They put in some cleat inserts and it helped but it's not totally solved. Some relief is better than no relief though (me trying to stay positive).
2015-06-08 10:11 PM
in reply to: DanielG

Originally posted by DanielG

A fit, perhaps. . . but how is your bike fitness? I used to have problems with numbness and hurting feet, but it went away when I started riding more.
2015-06-09 12:08 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Expert
Montana
Originally posted by ziggie204

Originally posted by DanielG

A fit, perhaps. . . but how is your bike fitness? I used to have problems with numbness and hurting feet, but it went away when I started riding more.

This is more than aching feet; the pain in my toes made me want to cry today. 8 1/2 hours later, I can still feel soreness in the tips of my toes. This is not a shoe-fit issue.

Bike fit, I will look into that. The nearest decent shop is 2+ hours away, so it will be a while before I can get there. Thanks for the input.

2015-06-09 1:47 AM

I agree with others. Get your bike fitted first. My right small toes went numb after 30 mins of riding. I loosen up the front straps and allow more wiggle room and better blood circulation. I also noticed the numbness occurred more frequent during early morning rides. I got a pair of shoe covers. It helped a little as well. Now I get some of the numbness if I ride 4 hrs or more. Good luck.
2015-06-09 7:35 AM

User image

Exton, PA
What pedals are you using?

If your not already, you may want to look into trying speedplay pedals. They allow a large amount of float, and therefore allows your feet/legs to work in a more natural position. Many people do not need that much float, however some do.

Everyone pedals a little different, do you know if you pedal with a flat foot, toe down, or heel down?
2015-06-09 11:00 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
I had a similar pain during IMTX a few weeks ago. Come to find out, it is something very simple... my straps were on too tight. Sadly it took me until mile 96 to figure that out.

Have you tried riding with pedestal pedals and running shoes? Your screen name is shoeless, do you do mostly barefoot running? Not that I have a clue where to go with any answer to that question, but maybe someone else will..

Sucks to have feet pain through, I hope you are able to get it resolved.
2015-06-09 11:25 AM
in reply to: toodamnbroke

User image

Expert
Montana
Originally posted by toodamnbroke

I had a similar pain during IMTX a few weeks ago. Come to find out, it is something very simple... my straps were on too tight. Sadly it took me until mile 96 to figure that out.

Have you tried riding with pedestal pedals and running shoes? Your screen name is shoeless, do you do mostly barefoot running? Not that I have a clue where to go with any answer to that question, but maybe someone else will..

Sucks to have feet pain through, I hope you are able to get it resolved.

Hmmm...it would be interesting to put platforms on and see how things worked out on a long ride. It would also be interesting to see if I could ride with platforms at all!

I don't do any barefoot running, but I only wear shoes when it is socially unacceptable to go barefoot!
2015-06-09 11:57 AM

User image

Post Falls, Idaho
Did you try moving your cleats back? If they are too far forward you are engaging more calf to effectively stand on your toes, putting a lot more pressure on those joints, resulting in more pain and loss of circulation. This might be good for short term power/sprinting, but bad for endurance and comfort.

Try moving your cleats back 1/2" and see if it makes a difference.

2015-06-09 1:17 PM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
I've been fitted for my bike and have good bike fitness for the distances I am riding and still have numb toes occasionally.

When I am going out for a long ride, I set my watch to beep every 15 minutes. When it beeps, I stand up and go hard for 20-30 seconds, then wiggle my toes and rotate my ankles. Not perfect, but it helps.
2015-06-09 3:36 PM
in reply to: Swimbikeron

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by Swimbikeron I've been fitted for my bike and have good bike fitness for the distances I am riding and still have numb toes occasionally. When I am going out for a long ride, I set my watch to beep every 15 minutes. When it beeps, I stand up and go hard for 20-30 seconds, then wiggle my toes and rotate my ankles. Not perfect, but it helps.

I also have struggled with numbness in my feet.. Usually as early as 8-10 miles into my typical 25-30 mile rides...Typically I unclip and flex the foot or if I unclip at a stoplight that's enough to flush it out...However I know plenty of riders who have never experienced it so I know it's possible to get to the bottom of the issue.

I spent the big bucks on a fit and it did fix everything but my numbness issue...

The fitter thinks it's likely the width of my shoes... He had me wear them as loose as they can go to see if it helped which it did... Not completely but enough to add credibility to needing a wider model..

The professional fit is the best place to start, as it will address everything, including your numbness issue...

2015-06-09 4:59 PM
in reply to: #5121257

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Haven't read all the posts so sorry if this is redundant.

Try loosening the bottom of your shoe, either your lower 1 or 2 straps or the ratchet thing. You can keep the top one tight. Also just try to conscientiously wiggle your toes often starting from the very beginning. Then get fit when you can get to it.
2015-06-10 7:18 AM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Sorry to hear this for you. Two things come to mind from my experience.  One ... I had an issue 2 years back wherein one to two toes ... the one next to my little toe and sometimes the adjacent one would go numb, cramp and hurt like hell.  I was in the process of changing bikes, and the replacement although similar was slightly bigger; longer. Also, I suspected my socks were too tight. I wore DeFeet 'Large' and switched to XL.  The combo of longer bike and sock change seemed to fix the toe issue.

Lately I had another foot-ankle soreness issue.  As it turns out, my cleats were adjusted to position my feet as close to the crank as possible.  After 20 miles or so feet and ankles started to hurt.  I readjusted the cleats so as to move the shoes as far outward as possible ... problem went away.

2015-06-10 1:06 PM

User image

Expert
Montana
Subject: UPDATE: My toes are going numb...
UPDATE: I pulled my cleats back about 8mm. (that's all I had). I rode the same route I rode on Monday, but not as far. By the time I turned around, 21 miles into the ride, I had only experienced slight numbness in the toes on my right foot. I don't think I can call this conclusive evidence yet, but I certainly am encouraged!

Questions I failed to answer before:

Pedals - SPDs

Foot position - I paid close attention to this today. While I typically ride with my foot flat, with only natural rotation of the foot, I did find myself with my toes pointing downward sometimes while climbing. Correcting this will probably help enormously, but I know that it will also be an adjustment muscularly. Since it is only 2 1/2 weeks until my big ride, I'm going to need to be careful making the change.

Thanks for all the input!

2015-06-10 1:35 PM

User image

Post Falls, Idaho
Subject: RE: UPDATE: My toes are going numb...
Originally posted by Shoeless
UPDATE: I pulled my cleats back about 8mm. (that's all I had). I rode the same route I rode on Monday, but not as far. By the time I turned around, 21 miles into the ride, I had only experienced slight numbness in the toes on my right foot. I don't think I can call this conclusive evidence yet, but I certainly am encouraged!

Encouraging news. Best wishes going forward.
2015-06-12 11:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Good news ... still - make sure your socks aren't too short or too tight

2015-06-12 6:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Brooklyn, New York
I need to loosen my shoe slightly as time goes along in a ride. Aids in circulation. Getting out of saddle little more frequently helps as well. (Assuming it's not bike fit and biomechanics issue)

Edited by TJHammer 2015-06-12 6:33 PM
2015-06-12 8:15 PM
in reply to: Dorm57

User image

Expert
Montana
Originally posted by Dorm57

Good news ... still - make sure your socks aren't too short or too tight

You are right on that. About a month ago I realized that some of my socks were very tight on my toes. Even 'good' socks might not provide a good fit!
2015-06-13 4:14 PM
in reply to: #5121257

User image

It may seem crazy but it could be the socks. My toes used to go numb and I went up a size in socks and it's so much better.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My toes are going numb... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Numb Toes and Feet

Started by tribrz
Views: 3616 Posts: 10

2006-05-14 7:25 PM BeCivil

Numb toes on run - question

Started by cobannero
Views: 964 Posts: 3

2006-02-10 9:57 AM Artemis

Riding when it's cold- Numb fingers and toes

Started by KSH
Views: 1991 Posts: 15

2006-02-06 8:59 PM KSH

Numb toes after biking?

Started by Crazypop
Views: 1109 Posts: 11

2005-05-05 1:39 PM Crazypop

numb toes on the bike

Started by TamraKarl
Views: 1158 Posts: 10

2004-01-31 4:49 PM keepitup
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 3
Several strategies for coping with or preventing numb toes and feet

date : September 25, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
After I have been cycling for about an hour the three middle toes on my left foot go tingly and then hurt like the blazes. Any clue as to what may be going on?
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I got a new pair of the same size / brand of shoes and started running on them. On my left foot, the toe next to the big toe starts to get a little painful and goes numb after the first 1-3 miles.