General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chain Slip Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-13 2:39 PM

Subject: Chain Slip
Newbie question I am sure.

I recently dumped my bike after I hit an illusive dirt pile left from the street sweeping crew. Nothing seemed to really be damaged except some bar tape - and the entire left side of my body. However after this crash about 50-75% of the time I switch into my top ring it slips the chain. Obviously this is a bit annoying because by the time I am getting into those gears I am going at a good pace. It seems as if the derailleur is pulling the chain slightly outside of the gear.

Any thoughts on how I could fix this issue?

Thank you!

2015-06-13 3:08 PM
in reply to: mike_morrone

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Subject: RE: Chain Slip
Examine the alignment of the front derailleur. The inside of the guide plates should be parallel to the chain rings. Use the technical manual to locate the outer ring limiting screw. Shift into outer chain ring an smallest cog. Adjust the outer ring limiting screw until the plates almost touch the chain. Shift through the gears to test the clearance. Also test the sifting on the local neighborhood roads.
2015-06-14 1:30 PM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

Sounds like you just need to adjust the limiter screw to prevent the dérailleur moving too far over the outer ring.

2015-06-27 8:10 AM

Perfect, thanks for the great responses!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chain Slip Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

seat post slipping...

Started by TriRx
Views: 1051 Posts: 3

2010-06-19 1:35 PM brucemorgan

Precor 9.27 Treadmill (Home Fitness) Belt Slipping?

Started by Savercool
Views: 2456 Posts: 2

2010-01-14 4:23 PM norcal_SAHD

Shoe Insert Slip

Started by Kickback
Views: 582 Posts: 1

2009-05-28 8:21 PM Kickback

gas for the chain

Started by mitchowl
Views: 741 Posts: 4

2005-05-26 7:22 AM ride_like_u_stole_it

How often should you replace your chain?

Started by MobAlTri
Views: 968 Posts: 10

2005-05-17 2:58 AM blessteve
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
comments : 0
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : October 12, 2009
author : Coach-Al
Learn the basics of what happens when you run. Also covered are the principles of elasticity, mobility and stability. Run faster without running the big miles.
date : May 5, 2009
author : FitWerx
Having trouble shifting? Is your chain not going to the next gear properly? Is it making too much noise? This video will go through some adjustments to your front and rear derailleurs.

date : March 2, 2009
comments : 5
Dirty bike chain? Have you ever thought about cleaning it? We cover the basics of how to clean your bike chain and the use of different cleaners, degreasers and lubricants.
date : November 5, 2008
How often should you have a bike tune up and what should be included? Is it unreasonable to expect a refitting as part of the tune up?

date : May 30, 2008
Discussions on chain cleaning and degreasers, proper crank length, triathlon bike fit, lateral foot pain, foot numbness and tricep and shoulder pain.
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.

date : May 17, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Not your typical review, but a review nonetheless. The first thing we triathletes need before any training can be contemplated is COFFEE! Learn how to make espresso for early morning workouts.