United States
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 47m 30s
Overall Rank = 8/10
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 4/5
Pre-race routine:

Ate oatmeal, traveled the 20 minutes to the race site. I got there later than I meant to. We brought 5 participants with us, which is new. This last year, a young man from from church starting joining me in training and races and he's now brought in another young man. It's making our training a lot of fun, but bringing my daughter, her friend (doing the relay with her), the two boys and myself is a new experience. It's taking longer to get everything together despite my planning. More people just take more time. All that to say, I only arrived with 10 minutes to get to transition and set up.
Event warmup:

NONE. Due to running behind, we had no time to get a swim in. My 'warm up' was using the restroom. hahah!
Swim
  • 16m 22s
  • 500 meters
  • 03m 16s / 100 meters
Comments:

OMG!!!! I've only done one ocean swim race before and then the water was flat as a pancake. Today, we were in the middle of several days of rain. We caught a break and it wasn't raining, but the storm had the waves about 1-1/2 to 2 feet tall. It was CRAZY! I totally panicked about 100 m out because I kept swallowing water, found it hard to breathe, and even struggled breast stroking which is my go-to stroke to catch my breath.

The problem was timing the waves. The waves were coming so fast that I couldn't quite catch my breath doing free-style and often breast-stroking.

I started praying from the beginning and give God credit for getting through it, especially that panic point. People were taking breaks and I took about 4-5 seconds to rest on a wave-runner that was taking someone back to shore (DNF). I'm not judging. I was strongly considering it myself.

My siting was terrible. I got off course several times, enough so that I had kayak support coming after me to steer me back on course.

Going out was straight into the waves and absolutely crazy. Once I got 200 m out and swam parallel to the shore, it got way better. I was parallel to the waves, for the most part and could time my breathing way better.

Once I started back to shore is when I really got off track because the tide was coming in about 35 degrees to the shore and it kept taking me wide. But, I was able to time my breathing way better.

Finally I got to where I could stand in chest high water and exclaimed, "Thank you Lord Jesus!!"
What would you do differently?:

practice more in the ocean to learn to deal with at least normal waves.
Transition 1
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

So, transition was the next crazy thing. It was in a field and with all the rain lately, it turned into a mud pit. It had standing water in parts of it. I was fortunate that my spot wasn't that bad

T1 was fine. The only drawback is that after running out with my bike, my feet were muddy. So I do a flying mount only to put muddy feet in my nice bike shoes. It was kinda nasty.

Nothing. It 'was what it was'.
Bike
  • 53m 57s
  • 15 miles
  • 16.68 mile/hr
Comments:

If there's a bright spot to the race, the bike is it. We had a tailwind early on and I was able to average about 18-19. I had a 4-5 mile stretch that was into the wind and only averaged about 15.5, but had a nice straight shot back in the last 5 miles. It had a crosswind and I averaged about 17. Overall, it was a good bike for me.

A light rain started early on the bike - really just sprinkling, nothing to hinder the actual bike - and kept coming back every few minutes.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

T2 went smoothly. No issues.

Nothing.
Run
  • 33m 13s
  • 3 miles
  • 11m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

The taxing swim really showed up on the run. The sun came out and it warmed up. Which is tough, but overall, there was nothing special about the run. I gutted it out. They had good water support on the run course. I drank a bit too much and on the last mile could feel it.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

I had a very hard time cooling off. I drank water but felt light-headed for about 25 minutes and thought I might pass out. A friend helped get me a soda which really helped settle my stomach down, along with a breakfast taco. I think it was swallowing too much salt water that set it off.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Myself. :-D

Event comments:

This was overall a good race. I'll probably do it again next year. It helps as it's only 20 minutes from my house. There were LOTS of volunteers & good water support.

I had a snafu in registering and found the Race Director not very good to work with. He was very, very apathetic, wouldn't shake my hand and was 'just business'. Pretty sad, really.

My complaints - not enough porta-potty's, no finisher medals for everyone (only award 'bobble heads' for placing), parking was over at the high school when they could have allowed parking at the beach parking lot until it filled up THEN parking at the high school.

Still, overall, it was a pretty good race. My barometer is, "Would I do it again?" Yes, it's a race I'd do again.

Last updated: 2015-06-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:22 | 500 meters | 03m 16s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 0/10
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Ocean swim with a Beach start. Triangular course, out, around a buoy, then parallel to the shore, around 2nd buoy and back to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:47
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:53:57 | 15 miles | 16.68 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: This course wound through the city of La Porte, TX and went along Hwy 146 & Hwy 225 (both major freeways) for a short portion. The roads were wet and there were puddles all over the roads because of heavy rains the night before.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:33:13 | 03 miles | 11m 04s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: A course that wound around the local neighborhoods.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-06-15 11:23 PM

User image

Regular
Houston, Texas
Subject: Sylvan Beach
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sylvan Beach Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sylvan Beach Duathlon

Started by AndrewMT
Views: 1102 Posts: 1

2010-06-14 5:53 PM AndrewMT

Sylvan Beach Triathlon

Started by jgaither
Views: 1389 Posts: 2

2010-06-15 6:22 AM AndrewMT

Sylvan Beach Triathlon

Started by HereForALaugh
Views: 979 Posts: 1

2010-06-14 6:58 AM HereForALaugh

Sylvan Beach Triathlon

Started by evondo
Views: 2394 Posts: 12

2010-06-19 11:14 AM golfpro

Sylvan Beach Triathlon/Duathon

Started by scruji
Views: 921 Posts: 1

2009-06-15 3:40 PM scruji
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 29, 2012
author : sarals
comments : 0
Unforeseen challenges make for a compelling race.

date : July 1, 2009
author : Wooden Bell
comments : 8
A look back at my first triathlon at Parlee Beach.
date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.

date : November 19, 2007
author : mpk
I went down to the beach the day before to scout out the course, and it was glorious...the sun was out, the sea was as smooth as glass, and only a hint of a breeze was blowing. “Perfect,” I thought.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
One of the more impressive areas to spectate.

date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.
date : September 4, 2004
Thoughts on low carbohydrate diets in conjuntion with triathlon training.