World Triathlon Corporation
31C / 88F
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 59m 25s
Overall Rank = 599/
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 84/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4h15AM. Had a bowl of oatmeal with some yogurt and some water. Stayed in Easton so it was a 20min drive to transition. My wife dropped me off at 5h30AM at transition. Felt good that morning, most of my pre-race jitters were on Friday evening.
Event warmup:

My swim wave was at 7h28AM so I had some time to relax before my swim. Got all my gear ready in transition and headed to the swim start. I was in the largest group of all M 40-44 which was divided into 2 waves. Good music playing in the background while waiting for the swim.
Swim
  • 41m 59s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was announced to nobody's surprise that the swim was wetsuit ILLEGAL as the water temperature was 78F. This was my first ever triathlon swim without a wet suit. M 40-44 walked down the boat ramp as it was an in water start. My wave was large. We had 3 minutes to walk down to start line and we could stand in water. Almost all competitors were nervous and quiet. 1 minute before the horn start a fellow competitor yelled out "Have a great race gentleman, you will do great" Everyone started clapping in encouragement. It was a nice moment. The horn sounded and the mass chaos of the swim start began. It was fine for me but I could not do bilateral breathing until the 2nd buoy as there was too much congestion and I was focused on sighting to not get kicked of elbowed in head. Around the 2nd or 3 buoy some competitors started walking on the bottom which I did not think was fair and it caused more congestion. After the 3rd buoy, it was a normal swim until the last buoy were the last 200m or so were shallow. Most competitors were walking. I swam as long as I could and then walked the last 50m. No wetsuit wasn't too bad but I felt I was not as horizontal as with a wetsuit.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 03m 31s
Comments:

I am usually slow in transition and this continued on this race. It was easier since there was no wetsuit to remove. I grabbed my nutrition and applied sunscreen. Sunscreen was no match for the sun today!

Nothing, I have too many things racing through my mind so it takes me longer to get everything I need.
Bike
  • 2h 57m 16s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.95 mile/hr
Comments:

I liked the bike course. The course was scenic and roads in good condition. My power meter on my bike was not working which was too bad so I had to rely on cadence and km/h. My brother in law said before the race expect something you didn't want to happen WILL happen during the race and you need to adjust. This was my unexpected event for the race. Cycling is my weakest leg but I had a good ride. I averaged just under 31 km/h. Drank all my 3 bottles of Perform, ate a gel every 20min and had Shotbloks. Also took 2 salt tablets/h. Got used to the 5 bike length no drafting rule pretty quickly. The heat didn't really affect me on the bike. My stomach was having enough of the gels though. It was tough swallowing the last couple.

Double check the power meter the day before the race to ensure it is working properly.
Transition 2
  • 04m 24s
Comments:

I went to bathroom, got my run nutrition and applied sunscreen. I could feel the sunscreen spray stinging which meant a burn. I could not reach certain parts on my back either so I knew a bad sunburn was in the cards after the run. It was a slow transition and I forgot my salt tablets in transition.

Be more efficient with little things in T2.
Run
  • 2h 12m 15s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

Where do I begin? The run temperature on the run was so hot, it is hard to describe. Running is my strongest leg and I could not keep a 6min/km pace due to the heat as I HAD to stop and walk through at every aid station like everyone. The run started off well as I saw a bald eagle male fly right over my head. I had water, Gatorade and ice at every aid station. The volunteers were phenomenal at the aid stations. Ice was my savior. I chewed on it but mostly put a bunch of it under my run cap to cool me down. For at least a minute, after the ice under the cap I had a moment of relief which lasted very briefly. So my goal was to only walk through the aid stations and I never walked anywhere else on the course which I was very proud of. I ate 2 gels and my stomach said that is enough. The last one was so gross, it was so warm due to the heat. The section of run between the last aid station and the turn around-half way mark was brutal. It was about a 3K run to the turn around then return to the same aid station. So this was a 6K stretch on a very open road with no breeze with the heat of the asphalt radiating on you. I would say a third of the competitors were walking a portion of that stretch. That was such a test of the mind and body to not stop and walk. After that aid station, I continued towards the finish line. I could eventually hear the finish line announcer and that gave me a boost. I got around the corner to the finish and looked back as I wanted to savor my finish line moment without another competitor. I had a good lead on the next finisher. I saw my wife and sister and nephew along the finish line cheering me on. The PA announcer announced me and just before the finish line I let out a huge shout of joy for my accomplishment. I just completed my first half-ironman. I moment I will never forget!-

Don't forget your salt pills. The conditions were brutal so it was a great time.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat on the run

Event comments:

Very well run event. Volunteers were phenomenal. Event loot bag were great. Ironman runs a great event that makes competitors special for finishing.

Last updated: 2015-06-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:59 | 2112 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 65/
Overall: 490/
Performance: Good
Suit: Illegal
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:31
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:57:16 | 56 miles | 18.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 122/
Overall: 831/
Wind: Little
Course: Road conditions were great, scenic and flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:24
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:12:15 | 13.1 miles | 10m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 84/
Overall: 599/
Course: Very little shade. I did not like the section along the road and also the run section between the last aid station to the turn around. That section of the run felt like a tarmac on a hot day.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2015-06-16 11:12 AM

User image

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Eagleman

2015-06-16 12:14 PM
in reply to: #5122915

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Eagleman

Impressive performance.... congrats on finishing your first half.  This was a brutal introduction to the distance.  

2015-06-16 3:56 PM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Eagleman
Thanks Master. The run was indeed a brutal intro to the distance.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon

Started by marykay79
Views: 2457 Posts: 1

2011-06-14 12:52 PM marykay79

Started by turtlegirl
Views: 4358 Posts: 14

2013-06-12 7:34 AM Sous

Started by dougiegr
Views: 2209 Posts: 1

2011-06-13 1:30 PM dougiegr

Started by frank.vetter
Views: 2045 Posts: 1

2011-06-13 8:48 AM frank.vetter

Started by KellyCByrne
Views: 2051 Posts: 1

2011-06-08 11:29 AM KellyCByrne
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.