General Discussion Triathlon Talk » half iron and marathon training one month apart Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-18 9:35 PM

User image

Subject: half iron and marathon training one month apart
Here goes my first forum.

So I just complete my first half Ironman (eagleman in Cambridge Maryland) yay. All went well, loved it. Training couldn't have gone better and I felt well prepared for the race- finished with a time of 6:05. I am looking at signing up for another half iron distance tri (Patriot's Half) in September. I am also signed up for the Chicago marathon which is in October. I have done 3 marathons within the past year and am a regular runner, know the drill when it comes to running. My question is, how would I adjust my training to build up to both the half iron tri as well as a marathon? Since I am already going to be putting on many hours of training for my tri do I need to be as concerned with the typical building up of mileage for long run training for a marathon? Or should I incorporate the long runs into my typical tri training?

any thoughts?

-Ellen

2015-06-18 10:45 PM
in reply to: ellen1632

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: half iron and marathon training one month apart
I would pick which race is your A race. Assuming it's the marathon, I'd lay out a marathon training plan and that would be the run volume I'd want to achieve for that race. For now, I'd make sure you recover well from the HIM, give yourself a day for every hour raced. Which is about a full week. Spin on the bike, swim, but I'd lay off the running for a bit....ease back into it.

Take the training plan for the HIM you just finished and repeat basically the last portion leading up to the race in Sept. Of course minus any run volume you have for the marathon plan. You probably won't have to do much of anything for the run training for the HIM, since your marathon training is most likely going to solve that part for you.

As for the mixing of the two, I'm sure there are different philosophies out there, and I'm no coach...so....
2015-06-19 11:50 AM
in reply to: ellen1632

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Congratulations on your first HIM.  That is a very impressive time for an HIM much less a first.

You have a few great races coming up and I'm sure you will do well in both.

"Since I am already going to be putting on many hours of training for my tri do I need to be as concerned with the typical building up of mileage for long run training for a marathon?"

This is the question that I focused in on as I think it is the most important to understand going forward with training for the HIM and the marathon.  In my experience, biking and swimming do little to prepare me for running.  Maybe a little as far as cardio fitness and some supporting muscle strength but you reach a point where volume in the other areas definitely makes it tougher than a run only focus.

It is very difficult to get in the running miles you need for a good marathon effort and still maintain volumes with swimming and biking unless you have a tremendous amount of free time.  I think you'd want to be at a minimum of 40 miles a week running.  What have you been accustomed to previously?  Along with that I'd want to swim three days a week and ride three days a week.  That's going to add up to 11 or 12 sessions a week.  What makes it tough is that you will have bike workouts where you will be fatigued from a run and vice versa.  There just isn't a lot of down time.  A good base will certainly help with this and you will need to pay very close attention to potential overuse injury.

I do three or four marathons a year while HIM training.  Here is my typical running week (includes 3 swims/3 bikes) when I'm able to fit it in.  I always have figured this was pretty good for half marathon training and would want another 10-20 miles in there for marathon but it's a compromise:

Monday: Easy 5-6 miles

Tuesday: Off

Wed: 3 mile tempo or some combo of interval equaling 3 miles (6 x 800, 3 x mile)

Thur:  Mid week medium long run easy pace 8-10 miles

Fri: Easy 4 miles or Off

Sat: Long run starting at 13 and building as close to 20 as I can

Sun: 3 miles off long bike or Off

2015-06-20 9:21 PM
in reply to: #5123537

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois
Just my two cents...I did this a few years back, but had the marathon first and then the HIM. I PRed both, sub 3 marathon and 4:40ish HIM.
Thinking about your situation, I would add ONE quality run to your HIM training per week and one marathon distance long run EVERY OTHER week. In my humble opinion, this would get you ready for both as best as you can. Realize, you can NOT train to run your best at both. Meaning, that you would probably run a better HIM without worrying about the marathon, or run a better marathon without worrying about the HIM. But what fun would that be? ??
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » half iron and marathon training one month apart Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Training for two marathons two months apart

Started by triscott26
Views: 2583 Posts: 6

2012-03-19 12:13 PM morey000

Training for 2 HIM's 4 Months Apart

Started by mchubri`
Views: 757 Posts: 4

2011-01-05 9:08 AM mchubri`

Half Marathon - Olympic Tri Two Weeks Apart

Started by mr2tony
Views: 806 Posts: 4

2007-05-08 12:11 PM mr2tony

Half Iron to marathon training?

Started by jbillfsu
Views: 3587 Posts: 18

2012-05-19 5:49 AM natethomas2000

Half marathon training in a month?

Started by Reiley
Views: 634 Posts: 4

2004-08-21 12:50 AM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : May 20, 2014
author : leighdodd
comments : 0
My issue is that I am currently deployed and training outside is proving difficult, especially on the bike. I have found a safe 10km running loop but I am struggling with the bike training.
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : October 11, 2007
Is one month enough time to recover from my first marathon to go and do my first olympic tri? My alternative options are to do the 1/2 marathon and then do the olympic.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.