General Discussion Triathlon Talk » MI Titanium 2015 -- Who's in? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-08-25 8:20 PM
in reply to: jgs733

User image

Expert
CALEDONIA/MIDDLEVILLE, MICHIGAN
Subject: RE: MI Titanium 2015 -- Who's in?
I competed in IMLOU in '09 and '11. I love that venue. I did happen to catch it during "cooler" years (only in the 80s). However, with the event now being held in October, it should help out with this factor.
As far as the hills go, IMLOU hills are plentiful for sure, but there are many occasions where one hill will give you momentum for the next, which really isn't the case at MiTi.
Both are great events and I encourage anyone who wants to do a 140.6 to do either. Both are great experiences for different reasons.

2015-08-26 6:50 AM
in reply to: Toefuzz

User image

It's interesting that you guys bring up IM LOU as I think that will be my first 140.6 next year (GR and MiTi will be my first two 70.3 races as tune ups). Do you have any suggestions on gearing? I raced the Petoskey Olympic a couple of weekends ago and felt like I was missing a gear. I ran a standard crank 53/39 with an 11/28 cassette. I was looking to switch to a compact or mid compact crank.
2015-08-26 7:37 AM
in reply to: TriMike

Originally posted by TriMike

Originally posted by jgs733 I've never done MI Ti but I can guarantee Louisville's bike has bigger hills. If you look at the elevation profiles of both, Michigan is pretty much flat and Louisville is not even close. The first and last 10 in and out of town are flat but everything in between is a hill. The east/west portions are long but manageable rollers and the north/south roads have the longer steeper hills, including the out and back finger around the 20 or so. I'm not a strong cyclist so my approach was to ride at a comfortable speed and get through it in a reasonable time while still feeling decent. It's a really nice course and the roads are in pretty good shape. Good luck!

Are you looking at elevation profiles at the state level or GR and Louisville specifically?  I doubt anyone would disagree that Kentucky as a state is more mountainous than Michigan, however within the states are hilly regions, the GR Mi/Ti course being a good example.

I have done the Mi/Ti 70.3 but not Louisville and spoke to some guys who have done 140.6's all over the country, (including Louisville) and they said Mi/Ti was among the most demanding bike courses they've ever been on.

MiTi race is voted one of the "Top 5 Toughest Events" by Triathlon Business International
2015-08-26 9:55 AM
in reply to: beercity

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Originally posted by beercity

Originally posted by jgs733 I've never done MI Ti but I can guarantee Louisville's bike has bigger hills. If you look at the elevation profiles of both, Michigan is pretty much flat and Louisville is not even close. The first and last 10 in and out of town are flat but everything in between is a hill. The east/west portions are long but manageable rollers and the north/south roads have the longer steeper hills, including the out and back finger around the 20 or so. I'm not a strong cyclist so my approach was to ride at a comfortable speed and get through it in a reasonable time while still feeling decent. It's a really nice course and the roads are in pretty good shape. Good luck!

Are you looking at elevation profiles at the state level or GR and Louisville specifically?  I doubt anyone would disagree that Kentucky as a state is more mountainous than Michigan, however within the states are hilly regions, the GR Mi/Ti course being a good example.

I have done the Mi/Ti 70.3 but not Louisville and spoke to some guys who have done 140.6's all over the country, (including Louisville) and they said Mi/Ti was among the most demanding bike courses they've ever been on.

MiTi race is voted one of the "Top 5 Toughest Events" by Triathlon Business International

I find this very hard to believe... I suck on the bike, especially hills, and I made it up every one. This is tougher than all the races in the Rockies?

Maybe they mean because of the road surface, LOL!
2015-08-26 6:20 PM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

Regular
St. Joseph, MI
Originally posted by Miles around Midtown

Originally posted by beercity

I find this very hard to believe... I suck on the bike, especially hills, and I made it up every one. This is tougher than all the races in the Rockies?

Maybe they mean because of the road surface, LOL!

Totally agree! It made the top 5 because the chip & seal.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » MI Titanium 2015 -- Who's in? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Mi Titanium 70.3 or Steelhead 70.3

Started by jdmitch_BOPer
Views: 1936 Posts: 12

2015-03-24 4:59 PM FF Stock

2015 3Disciplines Racing go all in for USAT

Started by Tri Sam
Views: 1029 Posts: 4

2014-11-12 5:41 PM Tri Sam