General Discussion Triathlon Talk » MI Titanium 2015 -- Who's in? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-06-22 8:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Subject: MI Titanium 2015 -- Who's in?
Well, I bit the bullet and signed up for Michigan Titanium 70.3 later this summer. Is anyone else racing?

I'm looking to do better than my unspectacular-yet-satisfying-for-my-first-70.3 6:58 last year. My run and swim are about as good as they were last summer and my biking seems to be going slightly better, from "really sucks" to "kind of sucks."

I'll likely be staying again with my sister's college roommate, who lives less than a mile from Versluis Park, but would happily do a BT pre-race carb load meetup at one of the Grand Rapids area's many fine eating establishments.

2015-06-23 8:58 PM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

Subject: RE: MI Titanium 2015 -- Who's in?
I am thinking about signing up! Has anyone done this race before? Is it well organized/supported?
2015-06-23 9:09 PM
in reply to: #5123942

I have heard good and bad about this race, issues on the bike course with construction, some people said nothing could be done but I know people who were not happy. Have heard it was well supported.
2015-06-24 10:33 AM
in reply to: Swimmer98

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
I did it last year! I had a great time, which is why I signed up again this year. Swim is in a nice, quiet, man-made lake; bike was a little rough; run was through the neighborhoods and hot, but plenty of homeowners had squirt guns or left their hoses and sprinklers out. I think they did alter the bike and run courses this year for fewer hills. I posted the link to my race report on this page somewhere if you want more details.
2015-06-24 1:41 PM

I am doing the half. This is one-third of my "West Michigan Endurance Challenge" schedule, I have watched the MiTi several times, very much looking forward to it.

Planning to do the course preview in July. I am treating it like the race, going to test myself on the bike to see what my expected race time will be.
2015-07-27 10:33 AM

I just rode the course this weekend. I HIGHLY encourage everyone to ride this course ahead of time. You can skip the "dogleg" portion at around 26 miles, but you need to ride these hills. Many riders were doing some of these hills at 10mph or less. I believe my worst climb was in 36/30, trying to keep my watts under 150. Take it really easy on the hills unless you like walking 13 or 26 miles. I felt defeated after this ride, but I would have rather known what I was in for than not. The chipseal is pretty bad in a few spots as well. Some pretty fresh and loose stone out there, be careful. I had a minor spill on my road bike.

Upside is that I hit ~34mph coasting downhill.

2015-07-28 5:41 AM
in reply to: #5124420

User image

I rode it this past weekend as well and was surprised by how much chip seal there was. Most of it was older and reasonably worn down, but it's still noticeably slower than asphalt. On the bright side, smooth roads have never felt so good when you pick them back up west of Smyrna!
2015-07-28 8:34 AM
in reply to: beercity

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Originally posted by beercity

I just rode the course this weekend. I HIGHLY encourage everyone to ride this course ahead of time. You can skip the "dogleg" portion at around 26 miles, but you need to ride these hills. Many riders were doing some of these hills at 10mph or less. I believe my worst climb was in 36/30, trying to keep my watts under 150. Take it really easy on the hills unless you like walking 13 or 26 miles. I felt defeated after this ride, but I would have rather known what I was in for than not. The chipseal is pretty bad in a few spots as well. Some pretty fresh and loose stone out there, be careful. I had a minor spill on my road bike.

I thought they had reconfigured the course to make it less hilly????????????? There were a few that I struggled up last year. Hope you are OK after your spill.

Originally posted by Toefuzz

I rode it this past weekend as well and was surprised by how much chip seal there was. Most of it was older and reasonably worn down, but it's still noticeably slower than asphalt. On the bright side, smooth roads have never felt so good when you pick them back up west of Smyrna!

YUUUCCCCKKKKK. That is not reassuring. How many miles would you say that went for?

I'm three hours (at least) away so I won't be able to ride the course beforehand, unfortunately. I would have loved to do that training weekend (and meet you guys!) but I can only impose on friends of the family for so many overnights. =)

2015-07-28 8:44 PM
in reply to: beercity

36/30 you have a 30 on your cassette? What are you riding?
2015-07-28 8:46 PM

Once again work has killed my season. I am tempted to pack up the fam and come over just to see the race. Is there going to be a "meet the other BT members"
2015-07-29 7:56 AM
in reply to: Puppetmaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Originally posted by Puppetmaster

Once again work has killed my season. I am tempted to pack up the fam and come over just to see the race. Is there going to be a "meet the other BT members"

We can organize one! Bike drop-off closes at 5 p.m. Saturday. Happy hour afterward? Or perhaps that Friday evening? I'm not too familiar with the area but (in part to appease my craft beer-loving husband) we visited Brewery Vivant, Founder's, HopCat and Grand Rapids Brewing Company over the weekend last year. Vivant and GRBC were our favorites. He would love to visit others as well.

2015-07-29 10:41 AM

User image

Originally posted by Miles around Midtown

We can organize one! Bike drop-off closes at 5 p.m. Saturday. Happy hour afterward? Or perhaps that Friday evening? I'm not too familiar with the area but (in part to appease my craft beer-loving husband) we visited Brewery Vivant, Founder's, HopCat and Grand Rapids Brewing Company over the weekend last year. Vivant and GRBC were our favorites. He would love to visit others as well.

I can't race but should be around Saturday for a possible meet up. It doesn't sound like you tried Perrin... they are about 10 miles north of GR and definitely worth the trip.

http://www.perrinbrewing.com
2015-08-10 8:36 AM
in reply to: Puppetmaster

36/30 you have a 30 on your cassette? What are you riding?

I knew the course was hilly so I came prepared.
2015-08-15 9:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Race day is within the 10-day forecast so you know what that means -- time to check the weather obsessively!

Looks like it's going to be a hot one. Today storms are in the forecast, yesterday they weren't.
2015-08-18 7:20 PM

User image

Expert
CALEDONIA/MIDDLEVILLE, MICHIGAN
I rode the course last week. The road conditions seemed fine (the chip seal is not traditional; it's black not gray, and it seemed flattened down and I didn't see any loose areas on the sides like you normally do with chip seal. In fact, they patched up really bad section once in Fallsburg Park. The road that concerns me is 3 mile road about a mile in from Lincoln Lake Rd. Be careful through there. Stay toward the middle through there if you can do it safely.
The forecast seems to have a stronghold on a 60% chance of rain and thunderstorms. We need positive vibes to push that rain into after midnight or at least get rid of the thunderstorm component.
Good luck everyone.
Peace.
2015-08-18 8:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
I'm doing the Olympic this year. I have IMLOU so just a training race. I have a 5-hour ride, per my coach, Saturday. It's going to be one hell of a training weekend.

2015-08-22 11:04 AM
in reply to: #5131476

User image

Just finished setting up transition. Lots of room for you guys! Beautiful lake with temps around 77.
2015-08-23 10:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Big bummer of a day. I got stopped at the special needs station at mile 53. We waited for a good 45 minutes before it was officially called. By the time I got to transition to pick up my swim and run stuff I had standing water in my running shoes.

I don't think I'll try to do a redemption race this season, maybe a sprint or Oly in the next few weeks but that's it.
2015-08-24 6:52 AM
in reply to: #5136315

User image

It was a rough day. My team had a tent set up near the finish and I swear the instant they announced the race would be restarting in 30 seconds there was a huge bang of thunder and crack of lightning. It seems like each of the big races in GR have featured rain this year (GR Tri, Riverbank, MiTi, and even a smaller race like Tri Del Sol).
2015-08-24 8:19 AM
in reply to: Toefuzz

User image

Lake Orion
I was out on the run course when that lightning hit, it was close. It was a bummer but for everyone's safety they had to do it. Has anyone done this race and IMLOU to compare the hills. Is this what I'm going to expect or bigger hills?
2015-08-24 9:33 AM
in reply to: jdmitch_BOPer

User image

Regular
St. Joseph, MI
I've never done MI Ti but I can guarantee Louisville's bike has bigger hills. If you look at the elevation profiles of both, Michigan is pretty much flat and Louisville is not even close. The first and last 10 in and out of town are flat but everything in between is a hill. The east/west portions are long but manageable rollers and the north/south roads have the longer steeper hills, including the out and back finger around the 20 or so.

I'm not a strong cyclist so my approach was to ride at a comfortable speed and get through it in a reasonable time while still feeling decent. It's a really nice course and the roads are in pretty good shape. Good luck!

2015-08-25 8:54 AM
in reply to: jgs733

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by jgs733 I've never done MI Ti but I can guarantee Louisville's bike has bigger hills. If you look at the elevation profiles of both, Michigan is pretty much flat and Louisville is not even close. The first and last 10 in and out of town are flat but everything in between is a hill. The east/west portions are long but manageable rollers and the north/south roads have the longer steeper hills, including the out and back finger around the 20 or so. I'm not a strong cyclist so my approach was to ride at a comfortable speed and get through it in a reasonable time while still feeling decent. It's a really nice course and the roads are in pretty good shape. Good luck!

Are you looking at elevation profiles at the state level or GR and Louisville specifically?  I doubt anyone would disagree that Kentucky as a state is more mountainous than Michigan, however within the states are hilly regions, the GR Mi/Ti course being a good example.

I have done the Mi/Ti 70.3 but not Louisville and spoke to some guys who have done 140.6's all over the country, (including Louisville) and they said Mi/Ti was among the most demanding bike courses they've ever been on.

2015-08-25 9:29 AM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Regular
St. Joseph, MI
Originally posted by TriMike

Originally posted by jgs733 I've never done MI Ti but I can guarantee Louisville's bike has bigger hills. If you look at the elevation profiles of both, Michigan is pretty much flat and Louisville is not even close. The first and last 10 in and out of town are flat but everything in between is a hill. The east/west portions are long but manageable rollers and the north/south roads have the longer steeper hills, including the out and back finger around the 20 or so. I'm not a strong cyclist so my approach was to ride at a comfortable speed and get through it in a reasonable time while still feeling decent. It's a really nice course and the roads are in pretty good shape. Good luck!

Are you looking at elevation profiles at the state level or GR and Louisville specifically?  I doubt anyone would disagree that Kentucky as a state is more mountainous than Michigan, however within the states are hilly regions, the GR Mi/Ti course being a good example.

I have done the Mi/Ti 70.3 but not Louisville and spoke to some guys who have done 140.6's all over the country, (including Louisville) and they said Mi/Ti was among the most demanding bike courses they've ever been on.

I was comparing the two profiles specifically, elevation gain for Lou is about 2X MITi. I guess saying MITi was flat was probably not true but I was mainly looking at the two profiles side by side. Having grown up in Michigan I know we're anything but flat, but what struck me about Louisville was the longer, deeper rollers. Places like that seem to be few and far between up here.
2015-08-25 12:42 PM
in reply to: jgs733

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by jgs733

I was comparing the two profiles specifically, elevation gain for Lou is about 2X MITi. I guess saying MITi was flat was probably not true but I was mainly looking at the two profiles side by side. Having grown up in Michigan I know we're anything but flat, but what struck me about Louisville was the longer, deeper rollers. Places like that seem to be few and far between up here.

Interesting.  I've talked to several people about IMLOU and each talked almost exclusively about the heat... Not arguing with a elevation map, just noting they didn't bring up the hills.. However most people who I've talked to about Mi/Ti along with my own experience is that it's a tough hilly bike course...

The moral of the story for me is, stay away from IMLOU....

2015-08-25 1:14 PM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Regular
St. Joseph, MI

Originally posted by jgs733

Interesting.  I've talked to several people about IMLOU and each talked almost exclusively about the heat... Not arguing with a elevation map, just noting they didn't bring up the hills.. However most people who I've talked to about Mi/Ti along with my own experience is that it's a tough hilly bike course...

The moral of the story for me is, stay away from IMLOU....

That's funny, I didn't even think about the heat factor. I love the heat, that's why I chose that race because I knew it'd be hot but I know I'm weird like that. I'd take a day in the 90's for a ride any day over the 60's or 70's. I'm a little disappointed they moved to a fall date.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » MI Titanium 2015 -- Who's in? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Mi Titanium 70.3 or Steelhead 70.3

Started by jdmitch_BOPer
Views: 1937 Posts: 12

2015-03-24 4:59 PM FF Stock

2015 3Disciplines Racing go all in for USAT

Started by Tri Sam
Views: 1036 Posts: 4

2014-11-12 5:41 PM Tri Sam