General Discussion Race Reports! » Jeff & Brede's Intergalactic Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Jeff & Brede's Intergalactic Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Katy, Texas
United States
HARRA
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 09m
Overall Rank = 86/269
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 12/25
Pre-race routine:

The blog template has this space for pre-race routine and I never know how to answer it seriously, because honestly, the most important thing before a race is to make sure you time your visits to the restroom properly. It's an hour drive from Kingwood to Katy, so you've got to go before you leave the house and if you drink coffee on the way like I do then you've got to rush over to get body marked, remember to pick up your timing chip, set up your bike (positions are grouped by race number but NOT marked... must get there early) and get your stuff laid out on the ground and then make a beeline for the restroom again.
Event warmup:

So yeah, not much to do to warm up besides walk around barefoot. In this race I screwed up my seed time for the swim, entering a per 100/meter time instead of the 300 meter total time. Look, I'm not the only moron, lot's of people did it. Even though I entered a time of 2:10, I was seeded 10th, which means the Flash, Superman, Wolverine, Captain America, The Bionic Man and Patrick Duffy (The Man From Atlantis) were all seeded before me. Seriously, nobody is going to swim 300 meters in 2 minutes and 10 seconds, so I walked around like a big goober, with the #10 body marked on my arm, trying to find a place in line where I fit in at an estimated 6 minute and 30 second seed time. I honestly knew I was a bit faster than that, but there are so many people that have no idea how fast they are on the swim, so they seed themselves at a nice round number like 6 minutes. I saw some of them swim... like 6 minutes for each lane of the pool/
Swim
  • 06m 10s
  • 300 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

Wow, I felt really good on the swim! Training is paying off.
What would you do differently?:

I wish I had seeded myself a little faster because I found myself waiting behind a few slower swimmers.
Transition 1
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

This would have been about 20 seconds faster if I hadn't run past my bike and had to search for it. I may go back to the glittery pipe cleaners I used to stick on the handlebars so I could find it easily!

Find my bike... practice a little more with the new clips for my shoes, I struggled getting into them this race. That was a first.
Bike
  • 33m 56s
  • 10 miles
  • 17.68 mile/hr
Comments:

Only 25 people beat a 20 mph pace, so something was up with the wind or the distance was more than 10 miles. I feel like I improved a lot over the last month with several long training rides.

I need to get back into some spin classes to gain the short distance speed.
Transition 2
  • 00m 35s
Comments:

Rocked it.

Remember to bring my race belt. I had to bring a shirt and that slowed me down a bit on the start of the run.
Run
  • 26m 55s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Let's face it. I'm 221 lbs and could compete in the Clydesdale group but I'm determined to be less than 220 before the year is up. Running a sub 9 minute pace is okay for me, especially coming off the Achilles injury last September. I'm very pleased with my progress so far. I did not cramp on the run at all... training is working!
Post race
Warm down:

I was spent... flopped on the ground and pretty much passed out for a few minutes.

Event comments:

Sprint races are fun and I really had a good time. I found myself smiling, chatting with other competitors, encouraging other people and thanking the volunteers. I had a great time and it was a great race. If you look back at my old race reports you will see that I seriously criticized the ugly neon t-shirts they had for a couple of years. The t-shirts are much better now and I will proudly wear mine to support this excellent event.

Last updated: 2015-06-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:10 | 300 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/25
Overall: 68/269
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Pool Swim!
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:24
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:33:56 | 10 miles | 17.68 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/25
Overall: 79/269
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:35
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:55 | 03 miles | 08m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/25
Overall: 157/269
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-06-22 10:49 AM

User image

Kingwood
Subject: Jeff & Brede's Intergalactic Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jeff & Brede's Intergalactic Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Jeff & Brede's Intergalactic Triathlon

Started by Nette213
Views: 1645 Posts: 2

2006-07-30 11:34 PM lisaj1

Started by lisaj1
Views: 1776 Posts: 8

2006-07-18 11:14 AM Mesteren

Started by trijaylee
Views: 2288 Posts: 7