CRIM
73F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 40m 26s
Overall Rank = 4432/8000
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 228/437
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 4:30, had a pbj and a banana and some water. tried to wake up!
Event warmup:

A walk to the start, that was about it. Figured for a 10 mile race, there would be plenty of time to warm up in the first mile before the crowd spread out!
Run
  • 1h 40m 26s
  • 10 miles
  • 10m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

We had to be there a hour early due tot he road closings, then us 10 mile/min pace people had to start down the street around a corner since there were so many people.

After our walk through the start we took off on my first 10 mile race. The first mile to two miles was slow.. there were so many people and turns that it got backed up alot. Id say we ended up at about 12-13 min pace for the first mile, then 11-12 for the second. So we actually must have been under 10 min miles for a few miles after that since i ended up with a 10:03 pace.

It was sticky and humid, so we welcomed the sprinkers and hoses that hte kids were having fun with on the streets. It was one of the best races spectator wise that i have encountered yet. The whole 10 miles was lined with people, and nearly all the houses the people were out on their lawns cheering us on. We had the pleasure of running past a couple of frat houses who were so kind to have kegs set up handing out beer. :) One was set up and they were all dressed up in some cool 80s running gear with headbands and playing eye of the tiger for everyone.. now that was funny! It defenitly made the race go by fast. About 8 miles in my knees started to hurt a little and i was thinking ok the finish line needs to be here. But i made it all the way without walking! It was a great race.
What would you do differently?:

I would have looked into the fact that while they had aid stations at every mile, they didnt have any gatorade! just water! 10 mile race with only water! So luckily one of the girls i was running with had a fuel belt and handed me off a little gatorade, that helped. So i would have planned my nutrition then. Other then that, i came in a little under what i thought i would despite the slow first 2 miles, so i am happy!
Post race
Warm down:

pizza popsicles

Last updated: 2006-08-28 12:00 AM
Running
01:40:26 | 10 miles | 10m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 228/437
Overall: 0/8000
Performance: Good
Course: The course was nice. Through many neighborhoods of flint. SOme nice, some not so nice, but equally as fun. There were a few hills, but nothing that i would consider killers. Defenitely made you push a little though.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes