United States
Sun Multisport Events
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 49m 11s
Overall Rank = 316/510
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 21/35
Pre-race routine:

Loaded up the car the night before. Woke up at 4:30 ate some oatmeal, had some coffee and got dress. Drove to the race and picked up my packet. Got body marked and set up my transition area. There I met a few BTers, Joe(ontherun), Kathy, Max, and Laura(MAtriMom). Walked around a bit and helped Joe set up some tents. Met Sue and DK and headed back to the transition area.
Event warmup:

Started getting my wetsuit and started talking with a guy name Bill who was racked next to me. Bill was really nice and we headed down to the lake and he jumped in. I walked over to the race start and ran into Laura, Joanne and Max before the swim. Walked over to the swim start and was joking around with Bill.

It seemed like the race started all of a sudden and there wasn't much time before getting to the swim start and the start of the swim.
Swim
  • 27m 2s
  • 1408 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim for me. I stayed relaxed and calm and just swam my own pace. I went off course a little in the beginning and on the way back I felt alone (therefore wrong), but I kept sighting and seeing I was on course.
What would you do differently?:

I should have tried to draft or just sighted better. Overall, this was a great swim for ma.
Transition 1
  • 02m 56s
Comments:

Felt quick. Went without my sunglasses.

Not much else
Bike
  • 1h 22m 51s
  • 25.9 miles
  • 18.76 mile/hr
Comments:

Alright, up on the bike, take in some gatorade and some water. Have a Gu and I'm just sitting comfortably. I see Max go by, but I manage to pass a few people myself. 5 miles done. I start thinking, "Gee, I surprised I haven't been passed by the later waves yet." Sure enough, within seconds, 5 guys fly by like I'm standing still. The bike is going well and I'm pretty sure I'm drinking enough. I hit the most beautiful strech of the course and my legs start to cramp. I try drinking more gatorade and sitting upright and my quads let up a little.

I'm pretty sure I'm at mile 12 and I decide to push it a little. I cramp up again, and my stomach hurts from trying to drink too much. I ease off the pace again and just ride comfortably. I come up to the bottle exchange and dicide I would like a new water bottle. Now, I've never done this before and it should. I'm riding by holding out my bottle and the volunteers are telling me to just throw it. I drop, grab a new bottle and I'm off with their cheers. The whole time, I was excepting to fall over and take out a volunteer.

Around mile 18-20 a lot more people pass me and my legs and back are killing me. I try to push hard and pass a few people, who quickly drop me again. Kathy G they blows by me and I'm just wanted to get off this ****ing bike. My ass hurts, my quads are killing me, my back hurts and my stomach is hurting from trying to drink so much fluid.

Finally the park! I'm standing up coming in trying to stretch out as I head to the dismount line. I slowly trudge into transition

Train more. Maybe look into salt tablets to help with the cramps. I think I raced this to the best of my abilities.
Transition 2
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

Oh God make the pain stop! I hobble to my rack and kneel down to put my shoes on. I stood up several times during this process to try to prevent cramps. I finally get my running shoes on and I'm out.

Nothing. My legs were in open revolt but I was able to quell their rebellion and move along.
Run
  • 54m 11s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Alright, just keep moving. My ass stopped hurting and my quads are just in a constant state of pain. If I didn't walk, I should be able to just push through the quad cramps. I focus on short stride and high turnover. I see Kathy G and she looks strong starting the run. I take some water at the first 3 water tables. I take gatorade and water at the last two water tables. I see Joe on the run and he's closing in on Max.

I hit the small hill at mile 5 and I'm cursing in my head at the stupid hill. The park is in sight and Joanne comes up and tells to keep up with her. I try to keep up, but I had nothing left as she quickly pulled away from me. I see the finish line and spot Heather. I cross and look and feel terrible. Max and Joe come across close together and Kathy comes in shortly afterwards. I see a bunch more BTers finish and I'm just standing around in shock. My body is completely wrecked. But I have a huge smile on my face!

Nothing, ran to the best of my body's ability. I just need more long BRick runs. I felt great until mile 4 where it became a quest to stop and walk.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood in shock for awhile. Cheered on some more BT finishers and got some dry clothes on. Walked around with Heather and checked my results. Got some food and hung out with the BT mafia outside of Sue's parents camper. Had a beer and watched Joanne take a podium spot and win a wetsuit! Ellen gave out the "Tough Cookie" awards to Joe and DK. It was a great race and great day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, training and training.

Event comments:

Wow! This race was just amazing. There were tons and tons of volunteers that were just awesome. I thanked all of the guys on the bike course directing traffic and everyone at the water stations. It was just a great organized race.

Everyone I met today was just amazing. Everyone is so nice and all they wanted to do was to cheer everyone else on once they finished. It was a great time and I'm pumped about doing this race again.

This was my first olympic distance race. I was hoping to come in under 3 hours and 2:50 would have been amazing. When I looked at my time I was just floored. I didn't think I could have put up those swim and bike splits. It was just unbelievable how everything came together today and worked out a prefectly.

Last updated: 2006-04-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:02 | 1408 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 309/510
Performance: Good
Suit: BadyGlove Sleeveless
Course: Counterclockwise around the outside of Loon Pond.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:56
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:22:51 | 25.9 miles | 18.76 mile/hr
Overall: 341/510
Wind: Little
Course: Nice ride, with a beautiful section that goes between these two huge lakes. There was a last minute course change that brought riders on two roads that were in bad shape.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:13
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:54:11 | 06.2 miles | 08m 44s  min/mile
Overall: 303/510
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-28 8:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
Subject: Cranberry Country Triathlon
Photos from TOBAY and Cranberry!

Edited by jpcan 2006-08-28 9:02 AM

2006-08-28 9:02 AM
in reply to: #523988

Pro
Andover
Subject: RE: Cranberry Country Triathlon
"I'm just wanted to get off this ****ing bike. My *** hurts, my quads are killing me, my back hurts and my stomach is hurting from trying to drink so much fluid. " LOL! I know how you felt!

Well done buddy. CONGRATS on an AWESOME 1st OLY!

Edited by CptnJackSparrow 2006-08-28 9:03 AM
2006-08-28 9:41 AM

Champion

Damn, you didn't look like you were hurting when you went by me on the run!  Of course, I think at my running pace, everyone else looks like a world class runner!  It was fun hanging out with you and everyone else, glad you got over the nervous bit at the start.  That happens to me all the time too, even after doing an Ironman, I still get butterflies in the shorter races!

2006-08-28 10:16 AM

User image

Brighton, MA
I'm so proud of you!!! You did such an amazing job and met your goal of under 3 hours...under 2:50 even

Next year, half ironman!
2006-08-28 10:19 AM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina

amazing man!!!! 1st oly and sub 2:50!!

Nice to meet you!! It was a fantastic day!! 

2006-08-28 10:28 AM

User image

Champion
MA

You did awesome!

Speedy in the water, awesome bike split...wow on the run...you just flew by me!

You wanted to get off the bike...where I would have liked another loop instead of the run My question is is your bike fit right?

Congrats on your first Oly....beat your dream time and finished strong!

I can't wait to see how you will do next year!

It was great to meet you.....hope to see you a lots more tris...racing with all the BTers makes every race much more fun!

2006-08-28 10:37 AM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431

wow, you had an amazing race!  I'm so glad that you came out to play with the MA Mafia crowd.  See?  We're harmless and tons of fun!

I especially love your photos.  You look like you're having fun in all of them

See ya next year 

2006-08-28 10:55 AM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN

nice race...it is great to see your increase in speed, especially in the Swim and run!!  Try the endurolytes from Hammer strength, they work well

Benihana

2006-08-28 11:29 AM

User image

Pro
MA

Great photos.  Nice race.  Man you're fast, especially when this is your 1st oly.  I wish I'm like you 

Nice to see you at the race.  Now you've gotta join the BT gatherings more often.

2006-08-28 11:38 AM

User image

Expert
acton, Ma
Great job and great photos (ouch, bloody nipples).  It was nice to meet you and Heather (you 2 are very photogenic).  See you at more races!
2006-08-29 9:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA
   Congratulations on an awesome race!      I wanted  a new bottle too but I was afraid, never having done a bottle exchange before.        I didn't want to hurt any of the nice volunteers!

2006-08-29 11:44 AM

User image

Master
Bronze member
Your smile said it all! Shellshocked & bleeding nipples never looked so good! You had a tremendous race..you must still be grinning! Good job not slaughtering one of those volunteers at the bottle exchange- and hanging in there despite your discomfort on the bike-. When I saw you up ahead on the run it was an incentive for me to catch up with you-thanks!Really nice to meet both you & your lovely Heather,and looking forward to seeing you at another race..
Big CONGRATULATIONS for a GREAT RACE!!!!!
2006-08-29 11:58 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Awesome race and great to meet you  Fantastic time   Congratulations
2006-09-07 11:32 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland

Great race !

So you felt a “little” uncomfortable on the bike, your legs got a little cramp, your stomach was doubling as a water tank. But wasn’t it fun ?

You can not really say that you had a trouble free race, but despite of your problems you still managed to do a great race. All those commute rides paid of, your AVG is great.

Try the salt tablets, they work for me, I use to get cramps in the pool (bad ones). Now I just need to remember to take when I race too !

Again great race, next time 2:30

2006-09-14 4:16 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Ok, maybe next year I will not have the problem in T1 with my water bottle. I am using that as my excuse for you and Joanne beeting me I guess the game is on next year. Sorry it has taken so long to get to the rest of the BT RR, but I am keeping records of peoples times for a posting latter
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cranberry Country Triathlon Rss Feed